Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I am all about utility and performance so Rivian is my vehicle.. ;)
Yep. Same reasons we got the R1S. We needed the space and the ability to drive comfortably and without underbody concerns on poorly maintained fire roads.

And the frunk is AWESOME! Fitting 2 70lb dogs and kennels and luggage and food in the R1S was daunting until we remembered the frunk.
Sponsored

agsogg

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Retired
R1S is much more nimble than the model X. Are you kidding me? This review lost all credibility once that was said.

And the software is just at different levels of maturity. For where Rivian’s is, it is written much better and at higher quality.
Read the post again. The reviewer stated just the opposite.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

As a parent of multiple little kids, it’s a godsend. You don’t realize how much better it is to have automatic doors with kids versus the heavy doors of the X, especially in school drop off and pick up lines when a kid has to open doors themselves or wait for a staff to help. Also, it keeps the rain away from falling down on you when you’re loading and unloading kids.
Falcon wings are also great with kids in parking lots, where they are likely to open doors and lose control of their momentum, sending them into adjacent cars. After switching from 2016 X to R1S I try to have an empty space on at least one side but not always possible.

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
I have owned 2016 and 2023 model X, 2023 R1T and R1S. I agree with the write up. They are very different vehicles. 2023 model X drives like a luxury sports car. Quieter, more nimble, easier to park and much more efficient ( I am getting 3.5 miles/ kw even in winter in mostly city driving). R1S is more off road, utility vehicle, which drives like a truck, albeit very refined truck. Much bigger frunk and cargo area. Interestingly, model X has bigger rear seat leg room, easier to carry car seats.
There is no comparison when it comes to software; Tesla is far better.
The biggest gap is ADAS; FSD is just unbelievable. It already drives better than I do in most roads. Rivian’s system is very rudimentary; combination of lane keeping and adaptive cruise on selected highways.
We drive mostly model X. R1S for towing, camping, moving stuffs.

Sponsored

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
Falcon wings are also great with kids in parking lots, where they are likely to open doors and lose control of their momentum, sending them into adjacent cars. After switching from 2016 X to R1S I try to have an empty space on at least one side but not always possible.
I agree. I have to pick up 2 grand kids from car seats. Falcon doors are so much better in tight spaces.

cwang089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X Plaid, Model Y LR
R1S is much more nimble than the model X. Are you kidding me? This review lost all credibility once that was said.

And the software is just at different levels of maturity. For where Rivian’s is, it is written much better and at higher quality.

I own a Model X Plaid, Model X LR, and R1S Quad and Model Y. Hell, I've owned every version of Teslas except the Roadster.

The X handles way better than a R1S and drives like a car, similar to a model S but slightly worse. I also had a S Plaid.

The Rivian has noticeably more body roll and less traction. I'm on 21 Pirelli's on my R1S.

What the Rivian loses in terms of speed and UI and efficiency, it gains in space/utility. It also rides differently and feels a lot more like driving a truck if that is your thing. I prefer driving the X but I would rather take people in the R1S.

I do Mammoth runs in the X currently but will likely try with the R1S once I get an adapter for superchargers. It will result in longer travel time due to not having a heat pump, 30%+ worse efficiency,vampire drain, worse charging max rate as well as curve, and lack of FSD/AP. But I will have more roomy cabin, better snow traction, and more storage space, and powered frunk, and air compressor if i get a flat on the way up.

One thing not mentioned is cabin creaks. Over time the X will have plastic creaks especially on the refresh. I've had a 2016, 2018, 2022, and 2023 Model X. The refreshed versions have a lot more creaks. I've tried to rectify it myself with felt tape but if the FWD closes in a certain way it sounds like there is a styrofoam box behind me. Whereas the Rivian interior sounds more solid.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just another person with "Rivian" in their name saying Tesla is better.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I own a Model X Plaid, Model X LR, and R1S Quad and Model Y. Hell, I've owned every version of Teslas except the Roadster.

The X handles way better than a R1S and drives like a car, similar to a model S but slightly worse. I also had a S Plaid.

The Rivian has noticeably more body roll and less traction. I'm on 21 Pirelli's on my R1S.

What the Rivian loses in terms of speed and UI and efficiency, it gains in space/utility. It also rides differently and feels a lot more like driving a truck if that is your thing. I prefer driving the X but I would rather take people in the R1S.

I do Mammoth runs in the X currently but will likely try with the R1S once I get an adapter for superchargers. It will result in longer travel time due to not having a heat pump, 30%+ worse efficiency,vampire drain, worse charging max rate as well as curve, and lack of FSD/AP. But I will have more roomy cabin, better snow traction, and more storage space, and powered frunk, and air compressor if i get a flat on the way up.

One thing not mentioned is cabin creaks. Over time the X will have plastic creaks especially on the refresh. I've had a 2016, 2018, 2022, and 2023 Model X. The refreshed versions have a lot more creaks. I've tried to rectify it myself with felt tape but if the FWD closes in a certain way it sounds like there is a styrofoam box behind me. Whereas the Rivian interior sounds more solid.
Have you rallied the R1S or the MX with no traction control?

cwang089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you rallied the R1S or the MX with no traction control?
No, but I've done over 110mph in the X which the R1S can't. Every car has its strengths and weaknesses. The OP gives a balanced view on both cars for people who are interested in listening. The R1S doesn't have to be the best car at everything.

Sponsored

cwang089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another thing not mentioned is the sound system. The X has a very good sound system, it reminds me of a DynAudio custom sound system. It is leagues better than the Rivian (non-Meridian).

I am hoping the refreshed R1S has a better sound system as I'm looking to pickup the Ascent

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure

Umm I disagree. The R1S may accelerate faster but Model X is more nimble.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
No, but I've done over 110mph in the X which the R1S can't. Every car has its strengths and weaknesses. The OP gives a balanced view on both cars for people who are interested in listening. The R1S doesn't have to be the best car at everything.
110 mph doesn’t say anything about handling. It just means it goes fast. R1S can’t go faster because of the tires’ limitations, not bc of the chassis/suspension.

Yes, every car has +-. But handling wise, R1S is better when pushed

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I had some spare time on my hands today, and on a whim, I decided to go test drive a Model X. Currently I have a R1S Dual Motor Max Pack.

As a little background, I have only driven a Model Y once before, and that was a rental from Hertz. I was throughly unimpressed by it. The ride was harsh and it felt cheap. So I went into the test drive of the Model X with low expectations

Anyway, I dropped by the local Tesla "store" signed up for a demo, was give a key fob and off I went. The Model X in question was a standard 5 seat Model X with a steering wheel and no stalks.

After driving the car on twisty roads as well as on the highway for around 30 minutes, I came away quite impressed - though to be fair I went in with quite low expectations. Here are some of quick observations:

• Very quiet compared to my R1S. I didn't hear any of the motor whine and the wind noise was practically non-existent. To be fair we are comparing an egg to a boxy shaped SUV
  • The ride was smoother and felt more planted than the R1S. To be expected as the Model X is a CUV vs the Rivian being an SUV
  • As expected, the X felt more nimble and maneuverable than the R1S.
  • Brake regen was far less dramatic on the X than the R1S. I prefer Rivian's implementation as I feel it is more conducive to 1 pedal driving.
  • The Tesla software stack is simply light years ahead of Rivian's.
  • Having the turn signals on the steering wheel didn't bother me... until I had to use them when the steering wheel was turned e.g. signaling out of a roundabout in which case they are utterly maddening
  • This vehicle had the horn in the center of the steering wheel. , where it should be
  • The R1S simply has far more utility than the Model X if you do outdoor activities such as kayaking, surfing etc as the FWD don't allow for a roof rack.
  • Speaking of the FWD, On the one hand they provide amazing access to the rear seats, on the other hand , and as many have reported, they look like trouble waiting to happen. That said, they opened and closed faster than I expected.
  • The interior of the X is certainly more spartan than the R1S, but it is honestly didn't feel as cheap as I expected it to be. I would say it is at the level of a 50K vehicle. Certainly no where near the level of a European car in the same price range and absolutely atrocious at pre-price cut levels.
I came away from my experience torn. On the one hand I really liked the software stack, performance, handling, and quiet of the X vs the R1S; on the other hand, I like the utility, style, and ruggedness of the R1S. Ultimately that isn't surprising when you think about the architecture and goal of each vehicle.

At the end of the day, it comes down to horses for courses.
But, can the "X" carry 7 people?. Can the "X" go offroad?,

Not knocking the "X", but there are many tools in the EV toolbox, maybe the R1S isn't for you. Take inventory of your needs and grade them from 1 to 10 as what is important. Put the "X" on 1 side and the R1S on the other side. After you have created the list and graded the "wants/needs" from 1 to 10, add up the scores and you will have your answer.
Sponsored