Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wonder how things would improve if you put it into 'camp' mode. I think that's what it's called where it puts more components to sleep to reserve battery SOC.
I'll need to store my (yet to be acquired) R1S for several months after delivery and I've yet to determine the best way to do this. I'm thinking setting it to 70% SOC and pugging it in so it maintains such. Even if it's plugged into a 110 plug this should be fine.
Thoughts are welcome, particularly from anyone who's stored their Rivian for an extended period of time.
Shipping mode not camp mode.
Sponsored

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What mode should I set prior to the vehicle sitting for extended time. I just put mine in transportation mode and will be gone for a month, is that necessary or should I just park and lock?
Shipping mode. And charge it up to 70 or 85 prior.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I wonder how things would improve if you put it into 'camp' mode. I think that's what it's called where it puts more components to sleep to reserve battery SOC.
I'll need to store my (yet to be acquired) R1S for several months after delivery and I've yet to determine the best way to do this. I'm thinking setting it to 70% SOC and pugging it in so it maintains such. Even if it's plugged into a 110 plug this should be fine.
Thoughts are welcome, particularly from anyone who's stored their Rivian for an extended period of time.
The couple of times I tried it, camp mode didn't make a difference...

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
What mode should I set prior to the vehicle sitting for extended time. I just put mine in transportation mode and will be gone for a month, is that necessary or should I just park and lock?
I don't put mine in anything special. I hop out, lock it, then close the app - fully close not background close - to ensure PAAK doesn't trigger the truck.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm on a 15 day trip, left with 212mi left in conserve. Be curious to see results in two weeks. I'll report back, as the vehicle will not be moved, unlocked, nuttin... Other than maybe me checking SOC via app once or twice. Didn't do anything special, just locked and walked away, no shipping, no camping, no trickle charge...

Sponsored

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I'm on a 15 day trip, left with 212mi left in conserve. Be curious to see results in two weeks. I'll report back, as the vehicle will not be moved, unlocked, nuttin... Other than maybe me checking SOC via app once or twice. Didn't do anything special, just locked and walked away, no shipping, no camping, no trickle charge...
Please report back. Is that the Buxton lighthouse?

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Hey everyone. I had the chance to leave the R1T in the garage for about two months while I'm (still...:rolleyes:) out of town training for a new job. I thought this would be a good time to see how long I could leave it unplugged!

Unfortunately I didn't take as much data as all you smarty-pants' probably would have, but there's some interesting baseline numbers to look at here:

Starting charge: 70% (242 miles) on March 5
Average temperature: ~45/50 degrees F (stored in the garage)
Ending charge: 13.6% (47 miles) on April 21

Small disclaimer, only needed to move the truck in and out of the garage to move the garbage bins every week

In total, the truck lasted 47 days without being plugged in. That averages out to 4.14 miles/day or 1.2%/day of idle drain. I guess I could have left it unplugged for another 10 days, but I saw another post on here where it cost someone $1000 to bring their R1T back from the dead.
It was 1200$ for the Rivian tech to come out and replace the two 12v batteries 🪫 that couldn't be recharged once dead for more than acouple hours. Could be a major issue for owners who leave unattended. They need to fix the vampire drain issue soon.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
I think I saw a preview of next FW update allowing us to set other max charge values besides fixed 70/85/100% settings. For lithium battery, it's preferred to keep SOC at around 30-40% for long term storage for best longevity.

bemulligan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
I wish I had some data to look at on this because it has no reason to heat the battery just on startup. Unless the battery is below it's minimum safe temp I mean.
Well, it doesn’t know why you started it. Maybe you are about to drive cross country. Maybe they could add a “storage” function that would keep it in a low energy state even if you move the truck.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think I saw a preview of next FW update allowing us to set other max charge values besides fixed 70/85/100% settings. For lithium battery, it's preferred to keep SOC at around 30-40% for long term storage for best longevity.
Are you going to keep it plugged in?

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you going to keep it plugged in?
Yes, that's the idea, keep it plugged in to offset any drain, but keep battery charge level at that optimum 30-40% level.

My phone has option to cap the charge limit to 85% now, and I wish laptops would offer that option as well (since they're plugged in most of the time anyways).

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I've run several 2-4 day tests in "shipping mode" now and my losses pretty much always come out to about 0.55kWh/day.

The OP started with 242 miles and ended with 47.
In shipping mode he would have started with 242 and ended with 190 miles after 47 days.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yes, that's the idea, keep it plugged in to offset any drain, but keep battery charge level at that optimum 30-40% level.

My phone has option to cap the charge limit to 85% now, and I wish laptops would offer that option as well (since they're plugged in most of the time anyways).
Good plan but I thought the release notes said variable from 50-100% so can’t do 35%.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good plan but I thought the release notes said variable from 50-100% so can’t do 35%.
Ah got it ,missed that detail, ok 50% will have to do!
Sponsored