Sponsored

Loose exterior door trim - anyone else?

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Seems like maybe that's just the design. Unless you're getting excessive wind noise or water leakage, I wouldn't personally be concerned.
Sponsored

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
Mine is the same way. I stuffed some square buna-n cord stock in the gap to remove the play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Seems like maybe that's just the design. Unless you're getting excessive wind noise or water leakage, I wouldn't personally be concerned.
not sure about that. mine never made noise or felt loose when i first got it. its happened over time.

Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I don't have this problem. I'm pretty sure I always use the area below the window for opening & closing the door.

Probably not a good spot to use for opening/closing the doors.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The black trim on the exterior of my two front doors has become loose. Noticed it a while back and ignored it but now it starting to make noise when I grab that area to close the door. Opened a service ticket. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
Mine was solid until 2023.42.0 rolled out, now it's loose like yours! Coincidence?

just kidding, same issue since delivery. It doesn't bother me, and I hardly notice it now.

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Mine was more on the front pillar, called service and was told to put a double sided tape until I get serviced. That was taken care off long time ago, probably my first visit to the service center. Now, a new loose trim emerge, the lower trim of the rear window. And also noticed today the black panel on top of the tailgate is warping on the interior, only noticeable when you open the tailgate.

aljondro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Same. Brand new R1S. The improper door seal caused excessive wind/ road noise over 40mph. Will create a Service Request. Feels worse on the driver side. Hope it can be fixed and reduce the cabin noise. Want to love the car but way too loud on the freeway

shimps1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Mine has also been like that since delivery. If i press in that area it almost sounds like the adhesive tries to stick but gives way.
Mine is the same, and I'm almost certain this is correct. The way the trim piece wraps around the door edge, I don't think it's a problem at all, besides the noise. I think it is a design that won't fall off, because the trim wraps around, and the "sticky" noise is tape. I'm not concerned at all.

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
My driver's door has been like that since delivery. Still waiting for it to go flying off but hasn't yet.
Same! From day 1

Nikhiluor

First Name
Nikhil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Mine had toP rim came off and had to call SC and they fixed during one of the appointment..most of the fixture issues are easily fixable by SC but the problem is that they are so backlogged that it is taking weeks to get appointments

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I have something loose that occasionally makes some noise on the freeway. I have to investigate. It's somewhere just behind my left ear outside.

Also have voices in my head though.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My driver's door has been like that since delivery. Still waiting for it to go flying off but hasn't yet.
Same

my service visit is coming up in Febā€¦ so weā€™ll see.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
did you get it fixed by the service center? if so, what'd they do and hows it now?
Already had our window trim replaced twice. Continues to peal off. Told us at service they havenā€™t figured out a long term solution yet. On the one hand we hate to waist Rivian money by continuing to have it fixed. On the other hand it looks terrible and we are worried it will come off completely while driving.
Sponsored