First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Holy shit if a company called me everyday for two weeks because I wanted to cancel my order it would only serve to validate my decision to cancel with every ring of the phone. That's not a good look for any company, begging for business isn't great.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Holy shit if a company called me everyday for two weeks because I wanted to cancel my order it would only serve to validate my decision to cancel with every ring of the phone. That's not a good look for any company, begging for business isn't great.
I'd block the number at 3 calls.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'd block the number at 3 calls.
You are more patient than me, I would block after the first call.

It is probably a telling sign of where they are when I saw a Lucid advertisement on CNBC yesterday. It is not like they are flush with cash to pay for advertising.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

This just in: Making high tech EVs is f*cking hard:asshat:
I'm gonna beat a dead horse and say maybe they should stop trying to cram in every "high tech" feature. Just make some plain jane EV work trucks for fleet use until they got all the kinks worked out, LOL. #shrug 🤷

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm gonna beat a dead horse and say maybe they should stop trying to cram in every "high tech" feature. Just make some plain jane EV work trucks for fleet use until they got all the kinks worked out, LOL. #shrug 🤷
Will be interning to see what this does to the Gravity timeline.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I actually agree with you. The biggest impact EVs of all shapes and sizes will make is in the commercial and government market. Work trucks and buses and taxis are out there far more than you or I in our individual vehicles.

I think Rivian would be smart to eventually get into that market too and use the lessons learned form making the amazon vans and “adventure” vehicles. A stripped down R1T with optional tool storage would be very popular IMHO.

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Their go to market strategy leading with a sedan, and then prioritizing the $140+k trim version — now into the teeth of a rising rate/higher inflation economic environment with continuing supply chain challenges — isn’t working too well right now.

With so many EV haters out there, we should all hope they find a way to manage through this.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Their go to market strategy leading with a sedan, and then prioritizing the $140+k trim version — now into the teeth of a rising rate/higher inflation economic environment with continuing supply chain challenges — isn’t working too well right now.
Hopefully this will be a warning to other EV manufacturers - including Rivian - that at some point pushing everyone into the top trim levels and higher prices may eventually come back to haunt you. I think more and more manufacturers are going to find that their customers are more price sensitive than they thought, and soon - this may be the canary in the coal mine. The market for expensive EV's may change quickly with rising interest rates, tech layoffs, loss of tax credits, continued predictions of impending recession, and declining gas prices. Tesla is starting to reduce their prices already, I think they see it happening.

Lucid's 34K/37K reservations may evaporate very quickly, if they were not fictional in the first place. So many people have made 3-5 (or more) reservations when they only intend to buy one vehicle at most. Demand for the higher priced models and trim levels may be starting to crater already. I'm seeing indications of this on the Lighting forum at least...

The fact that they are calling people who cancel up to 14 times pretty clearly indicates desperation, and is worse than the worst dealer tactics from a traditional car dealer that I've been exposed to. Yikes.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

With so many EV haters out there, we should all hope they find a way to manage through this.
This is a tough call. They usually start with the higher end units because the markup is higher, then they can get to the lower end commodity units when they get their footing.

It is risky but usually the only way to start recovering any of the initial R&D cost so they can continue with the lower end products.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

vacation "blackout" periods around the end-of-year holidays for certain holidays, including November 24-27 and December 17-31

Rivian R1T R1S Lucid slashes production forecast for 2022 IMG_20221208_163332
Sponsored