Sponsored

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I mean I hear you. For a new customer it is a $10k upcharge, at least as currently advertised.

So to go from 352 miles to 410 equates to a 16.5% increase in range, which should be mostly independent of driving style, tires, configuration etc.

To me it's like the analogy of sporting goods (for example, climbing, cycling, skiing, etc). When you go from Steel to Aluminum to Carbon to save ever diminishing amounts of weights for exponentially higher cost. This happens for 2 reasons, people want the best, lightest, longest range version of everything to say "look at my shiny new thing" or enabling them to accomplish things that would not otherwise be possible. Cost is not high on the list of factors for these people.

So again I agree that $10k is a lot of coin but I am still considering it because 16.5% more range could enable me to do things that would otherwise not be possible with my large pack. That said I still don't have enough information about what is being offered for that premium.

That's where to me it offers value probably to people towing or getting less than normal range due to aero like having things on the roof.

Under normal conditions there will be a DC charger within range of the large pack, therefore having more mileage will ultimately result in potentially reduced range anxiety and not much else, you're going to hit the charger with ideally 20-80 miles of range remaining, add 50 to that, you're still stopping at the same charger because there won't be another charger 50 miles further than the one you currently stop at (for me in my experience)

Unless I had 500 max range with a real world of 420+ I can't find value in it (again I don't tow, I don't have big things on the roof, but I think I also represent the average owner)
Sponsored

krb1183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G70 3.3T
Question for the forum; i was asked to lock in my configuration for Max pack dual motor today (formerly max quad pre-order from 2019). So it's been a long time coming and i've just been sitting and waiting while so many changes have been made in the past 4 years not just with Rivian but government tax credits. Has anyone reached out to a rivian guide first to ask about tax credit eligibility, and trade in value/appraisals prior to locking in? I don't want to lose my 1k deposit if i'm low-balled on trade-in etc. Just looking for perspective and opinions.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That said I still don't have enough information about what is being offered for that premium.
If it's just a chemistry change, I still think they should have offered the higher module pack to be competitve with other offerings that are hitting the market at the same time. Even if they had to charge more for it. They probably could have hit 200+ kWh with what the patent drawings made me expect was their design change.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can't believe he paid $10k for 50 miles of range theoretical which will probably be 30 miles real world range, I mean I really can't believe anyone finds $10k worth of value in that the return on investment feels very lopsided.
10k looks like a bargain north of 49 its is as seen below.
I believe it is actually closer to 60 as lastest reports claim 410miles.
How do you calculate real world range? Mine has been pretty accurate even with 15% towing & mountain passes factored in.

Rivian R1T R1S MAX PACK Dual Motor Performance is delivering! IMG_3456

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
10k looks like a bargain, see below.
How do you calculate real world range? Mine has been pretty accurate even with 15% towing & mountain passes factored in.

IMG_3456.png
$CAD ā‰  $USD

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Instead of the $10k for a larger battery can I pay to assure EA has advertised charging speeds each time I charge ???

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Well, if it is 175kWh battery vs. 135 in the large pack, that's 40kWh, so depending on your efficiency, that could be a LOT more range (i.e., that's 95 miles at 420kW/mile).

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
10k looks like a bargain north of 49 its is as seen below.
I believe it is actually closer to 60 as lastest reports claim 410miles.

IMG_3456.png

answering your question how I calculate real world range
I drive Dallas to Bentonville arkansas and back frequently it's 400 miles each way, I start every trip at 100% in conserve mode, 330 miles starting range, when I arrive at the first charging stop (200 miles into the trip) I Have had as little as 20 miles remaining, which gives me a real world range of 220 miles not 330 (massive headwind the whole way and 85mph average)

Other trips I have had 80 miles remaining at the first stop so 280 miles real world range.

the reduction from 330-280 is again blamed on headwind, higher than 55mph speed

EPA tests I believe are 55mph which if you're doing mixed driving makes sense, but it does not make sense for highway long drives which is in my reality, the only time the range matters, the range is of no consequence when I'm driving around town in mixed use driving.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

id guess the actual number of use cases for folks needing that extra range in the max pack is pretty small (towing, long daily commute). most people just want it because they just want more range but for those folks id guess 95% of their daily use case its not needed.

FLTANK

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Performance Dual Motor Max Pack
Wanted to chime in that just this afternoon I received the official email from Rivian to lock in my final configuration which I just completed on my R1T DM Performance Max Pack. I've had a Jan-Feb 2024 delivery date since the last delivery window update so this seems promising that these max pack deliveries are finally happening. I was a September 2021 original reservation holder for anyone curious.

Sponsored

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

Wanted to chime in that just this afternoon I received the official email from Rivian to lock in my final configuration which I just completed on my R1T DM Performance Max Pack. I've had a Jan-Feb 2024 delivery date since the last delivery window update so this seems promising that these max pack deliveries are finally happening. I was a September 2021 original reservation holder for anyone curious.
I was also just asked to confirm my Performance Max Pack. March 2021 preorder with a February-March 2024 estimate.

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

I have a May 2021 order for an R1T Max Pack with an estimated delivery in Dec. 23/Jan. 24 and I just got invited to confirm my configuration. First true sign Iā€™ve seen that my R1T is going to be built s00n šŸ˜³šŸ˜³. Canā€™t wait!

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜14 Silverado 1500, ā€˜22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
I confirmed my performance max pack an hour ago. I tow, I carry things on top, I carry bikes over the tailgate, I take these things to a charging desert, and I do these things things year-round. It gets cold AF here. Iā€™m glad I waited, having been advised to by a couple I met who were also towing their boat last summer with an R1T and stopping for a second time to charge on a 147 mi. one-way trip, had they not had to go 15+ mins out of their way to get to the charger I met them at.

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I have a May 2021 order for an R1T Max Pack with an estimated delivery in Dec. 23/Jan. 24 and I just got invited to confirm my configuration. First true sign Iā€™ve seen that my R1T is going to be built s00n šŸ˜³šŸ˜³. Canā€™t wait!
Iā€™m hoping theyā€™re just not doing this ā€œconfirm configā€ stuff before merely re-working estimates!

We are July 2020 reservation holders, just a few minutes from the mothership in Normal. Our Aug/Sep 23 date got moved to Jan/Feb 24 with the last update.

Got asked to confirm config just now. I thought it had been confirmed for YEARS!?!

Is the unicorn Max Pack actually real? Or will our hopes be dashed yet again?

ediehl

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Pilot
Question for the forum; i was asked to lock in my configuration for Max pack dual motor today (formerly max quad pre-order from 2019). So it's been a long time coming and i've just been sitting and waiting while so many changes have been made in the past 4 years not just with Rivian but government tax credits. Has anyone reached out to a rivian guide first to ask about tax credit eligibility, and trade in value/appraisals prior to locking in? I don't want to lose my 1k deposit if i'm low-balled on trade-in etc. Just looking for perspective and opinions.
Did you sign the contract with Rivian dated August 11th 2022? If so you claim it on your 2022 tax returns. If not I'm not sure your guide will be able to completely answer your question. It's more of an accountant question.
Sponsored