Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I recently came across this backup (reverse) light bar from Morimoto: https://www.morimotohid.com/Morimoto-XB-Backup-Light-Boost-Bar?quantity=1

I bought one and while it is on the way, I was wondering if anyone has played around with the reverse lights and their wiring yet?

I looked at the lights just now and they don't pop out of the bumper, like on a lot of trucks/ jeeps, but instead are screwed into the bumper from the inside of the bumper, so it looks like you'd have to take off the bumper (or the silver piece) in order to get to the wiring.

With the tailgate down and that bed "flap" moved up, you can look into the bumper from the to and you can see the connector to the light, but it is too cramped in there to fit tools or a hand in there.

So, long story short, I am looking for tips or pointers to get to the wires, so I can tap into them.

Rivian R1T R1S Morimoto XB boost bar reverse light wiring Rivian Rear
Sponsored

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
I have one laying around that I wanted to install but since the camera is right above the license plate, the led bar would just blind the camera so I decided not to install

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I have one laying around that I wanted to install but since the camera is right above the license plate, the led bar would just blind the camera so I decided not to install
Interesting, I had not thought about that.

I suppose I can give it a shot anyway and otherwise try and mount it on the bottom of the license plate.

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
I even tapped half of the license plate lights as night the light reflection off my plate was blinding a portion of my camera view

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I was looking at a hitch-mounted light, more for an extra-bright running light rather than reverse but they do that too.

There are many cheap ones on amazon, here are the two expensive examples I found:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/blog/how-to-install-the-hitchmount-led-pod-reverse-kit
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s1-hitch-light-kit-universal/

But the 7-pin adapters don't seem good for Rivian. They attach inline before the hitch's 7-pin outlet, so I think you'd have to pull out the rear plastic panels to access the back of the hitch (at least on the R1S). Maybe the other version of Baja designs can be wired to something that just plugs into the 7-pin outlet.

Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I was looking at a hitch-mounted light, more for an extra-bright running light rather than reverse but they do that too.

There are many cheap ones on amazon, here are the two expensive examples I found:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/blog/how-to-install-the-hitchmount-led-pod-reverse-kit
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s1-hitch-light-kit-universal/

But the 7-pin adapters don't seem good for Rivian. They attach inline before the hitch's 7-pin outlet, so I think you'd have to pull out the rear plastic panels to access the back of the hitch (at least on the R1S). Maybe the other version of Baja designs can be wired to something that just plugs into the 7-pin outlet.
I installed the diode dynamics one on my R1T a while ago and it's a no-go.
Truck thinks there's a trailer attached at all times.

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

So I got the light in the other day and I just now jerry rigged it with a 9v battery, to test the camera wash out as described above.

Rivian R1T R1S Morimoto XB boost bar reverse light wiring image0

Upon installing the light it became immediately apparent that it wont fit in the intended orientation, as our camera is in the way for that, so the alternate way is mounting it "upside down" on the top license plate screws. Even at only 9v it is pretty bright:

Rivian R1T R1S Morimoto XB boost bar reverse light wiring image1

This is the camera view at this mounting location:

Rivian R1T R1S Morimoto XB boost bar reverse light wiring image2

So next I mounted the light on the bottom license plate screws and did the same thing. Unfortunately the outside pic did not come out correctly (arrogance of expecting perfect photo skillzz of myself ;) )

This is the camera view:

Rivian R1T R1S Morimoto XB boost bar reverse light wiring image4

This may actually be better than above the plate and this way it is in line with the OEM lights as well.

I found this pic of how the rear bumper cover comes off, so while more involved than what I was hoping for, it does not seem too complicated. I will, however, hold off until the temps climb in the 50's or more, as frozen plastic seems to like to crack...

Rivian R1T R1S Morimoto XB boost bar reverse light wiring rear bumper

Syrarch04

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Alfa Stelvio, BMW M3, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Architect, Developer
Any update on this?
Sponsored