First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC90 T8
Occupation
Real Estate
Driver+ - was expecting more from a EV maker . . . . Have enjoyed my Volvo Pilot Assist for long hauls as it is a passive system working off of lane markings so works on most roads and highways with good markings. Was excited for Driver+ in Rivian from an EV maker and was expecting a more enriched and engaging system vs. my 2019 Volvo but no such luck. Here is my feedback.
  • Does center in the lane quite well.
  • Does not:
    • work by lane markings like my Volvo Pilot Assist? Which works anywhere there are lanes. Very cool.
    • since it does not work by lane markings it does not work on any two lane roads. Bummer.
    • engages on SOME highways stretches and then once engaged will suddenly fall out. Bummer.
    • reengage when you change lanes, again like my Volvo does. Bummer.
    • stay on for any length of time and have to reengage consistently. Seems any anomaly will throw it off and it stops working. TOO sensitive I say. Bummer.
Sponsored

Aka_Buck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work
I just did a 400 mile trip yesterday and on 2 occasions driver plus just flashed red and gave me control back. (SoCal major freeways) One was under construction so I understand that.

It ping pongs the lanes more than the Tesla and requires more hand pressure or you get warnings.

I'm hopeful it will improve but for now it's just ok.

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I used it a bit on a 2 hour drive on the 101 north from the bay area. No problems. But I prefer the radar cruise control vs driver assist.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coj

Coj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC90 T8
Occupation
Real Estate
I just did a 400 mile trip yesterday and on 2 occasions driver plus just flashed red and gave me control back. (SoCal major freeways) One was under construction so I understand that.

It ping pongs the lanes more than the Tesla and requires more hand pressure or you get warnings.

I'm hopeful it will improve but for now it's just ok.
I just did a 200 mile trek from CT to Philly. It def in more sensitive to hand movements, touch than Mercedes and Volvo and will ask to disengage way more.

I wish it would resume after you move into the lane; with that and the requested disengagements I tended not to use it much vs. how I have used it in the past with other manufacturers.

Otisbrick

First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Physician
Driver+ - was expecting more from a EV maker . . . . Have enjoyed my Volvo Pilot Assist for long hauls as it is a passive system working off of lane markings so works on most roads and highways with good markings. Was excited for Driver+ in Rivian from an EV maker and was expecting a more enriched and engaging system vs. my 2019 Volvo but no such luck. Here is my feedback.
  • Does not:
    • work by lane markings like my Volvo Pilot Assist? Which works anywhere there are lanes. Very cool.
    • since it does not work by lane markings it does not work on any two lane roads. Bummer.
    • engages on SOME highways stretches and then once engaged will suddenly fall out. Bummer.
    • stay on for any length of time and have to reengage consistently. Seems any anomaly will throw it off and it stops working. TOO sensitive I say. Bummer.
same experience. Also jerky around curves.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
In my experience it requires zero hand pressure. All you have to do is have your hand in contact with the steering wheel.

Aka_Buck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work
In my experience it requires zero hand pressure. All you have to do is have your hand in contact with the steering wheel.
Agreed. Maybe pressure isn't the right word. Contact would be more accurate.

I was using it again today and I'll say it doesn't inspire as much confidence as the Tesla autopilot. Could be the amount of times it has disengage vs miles driven.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
It's better than nothing. Barely.
I 100% agree with this post.

Better than nothing.

Worse than most everything else, including Tesla AP1 which dates back to 2014.

Jgoal55

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi all…just drove miami to Orlando (and back) in my R1S (delivered Dec. 23). Took FL turnpike whole way up.

My take on Driver+ is that it does have lots of room for improvement. There was phantom braking on two occasions when going over a bridge.

And the big bug for me is that it doesn’t re-engage after changing lanes. So with having to manually re-engage all the time, it’s just easier not to use.

All that said, when it’s on, and not going over bridges, it worked beautifully. I experienced no ping pong and it did a great job keeping the vehicle centered in the lane. I experienced no issues passing semis either.

One question I do have: Does using Driver+ or ACC reduce battery range?

My wife drove on the way up (so I could watch the Dolphins lose) and did not use it. We made the whole drive with no charging stops.

I used the ACC and Driver+ on the way back and had to stop once to recharge.

On both legs, it seemed the cars range estimate was off by about 20-25% (which is a lot).

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
We had a scary experience last Sunday. We were on the i10 where it dead ends into the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica. We had Driver + engaged (in the past it will start giving us notices the freeway is ending soon and it will disengage) this time there was bad traffic that had backed up ~ 1 1/2 miles before the freeway ended (so we hadn’t yet reach the part of the freeway where that notification appears). I had distance set to the farthest away so full 4 lines. I saw the traffic was stopped ahead and was expecting the vehicle to begin to slow as it normally would with the cars ahead of me also slowing… But to my surprise it accelerated towards the stopping traffic (speed was set to 70, but car was going ~60 when traffic started slowing, but then accelerated to ~65 before I jumped the break). I had to jump on the break as hard as I could to stop in time. It wasn’t until we had almost slammed to a halt that the drivers display lit up in big bold letters with “BRAKE” and we got the warning chimes. It was frightening for everyone in the car.

The system is great when it works. But you always have to be prepared for it not to work.

Last edited:

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
What are the factors/criteria that enable Driver+ to be available on certain roads? Is it primarily accurate mapping of the highway? Or does it have more to do with highway lane markings and camera clarity?

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
  • Does not:
I fear this is what I am going to be most disappointed in when I receive the R1T. My current Kia EV6 has fantastic LKAS (lane keep assist) and adaptive cruise; it is mainly passive but I do believe they use some type of mapping b/c at times it "feels" different. It can also automatically change lanes while keeping the system engaged. My 2019 F Pace had very good adaptive cruise and LKAS though the EV6 is a bit better.

I drive 120 miles a day, 80 miles of that being interstate but the rest is 2 lane "county highway". I use the driver assist in my vehicle more than my radio! Fingers crossed the R1T won't disappoint as my daily driver.
Sponsored