First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
I've now driven my R1S for 1800 miles or so, so I thought I would write a review for the benefit of people considering a Rivian. Most of my observations are similar to others I have read, so this probably won't be particularly novel to most, but maybe I'll provide some new nuance and another datapoint.

Delivery: This went great. I arrived for my appointment, signed a couple of forms, took a quick tour of the car, and was off. Everybody was nice and professional, and nobody tried to sell me extended warranties, fabric protectors, and all those other dealer rip-offs. Nice!

Build Quality: Mine appears to be really, really well put together. The paint looks good. The panel alignment is good. All the doors open and close cleanly. Everything works. There is a slight wrinkle in the headliner above the third row, but I struggle to find anything else to complain about. I haven't had to take it in for any reason.

Navigation and Voice Commands: The navigation sometimes struggles to find places that my Tesla has no problem with, and the voice commands are also behind what Tesla supports. Rivian has made good progress on software since I've owned the vehicle, so I imagine this will improve soon.

Software: Outside of the navigation and voice commands, I think the rest of the software is pretty solid. The menus work well and make sense, and the operation is quick. The graphics are good. I use Spotify for music and podcasts, and that works fine, even better than with my Tesla. Basic functionality is good, comparable to Tesla. They added scheduled departure recently, which I love. The new menus they added in the last release are convenient. In general, the software is solid and getting better rapidly. Voice calls work well, and I like being able to ask Alexa questions. I also really like the garage door opener that I can operate with one click on the steering wheel and the 3D parking feature.

Ride and Handling: I have the 22s. The ride quality in Sport is really rough, particularly if the tires are even slightly overinflated. I generally ride in All-Purpose with the ride height in the middle and the stiffness in moderate. In that setting, I think the ride is perfectly acceptable even over bad roads, but certainly not plush. It's better than the ride in our Model 3 or Model Y for sure. The handling is incredible for such a big vehicle. It really corners flat and can hustle around corners nearly as well as my Model 3. It's fun to drive.

Steering, Braking, and Acceleration: Rivian really nailed the regenerative breaking. It's much stronger than what Tesla has, which makes one-pedal driving much easier to me. I basically never use the brakes except in an emergency. The pads are going to literally last forever. The acceleration is amazing. You can leave the vast majority of sports cars in your wake. I didn't like the throttle mapping when I got the car, but a recent software release really improved it. It feels much better now and makes controlling the car much easier. To me the steering is a little looser than I prefer, but I'm used to driving small, sporty cars (think Miatas). I have no trouble placing the car precisely, so this isn't a functional issue, just a feel preference.

Insurance: I got a quote from Rivian that was absolutely horror show. I ended up getting insurance through USAA for a fraction of the price, similar to what we pay for our Teslas. If you get a bad insurance quote, be sure to shop around. It's amazing how much the quotes can differ.

Charging: I charge with the included charger through a 50-amp appliance plug in my garage that I paid an electrician $250 to install. I get about 14 mph of range out of this, which means it needs to charge 2-3 hours a night on average to get me back to "full" each morning. I don' t personally see any need for a fixed wall charger, as this is plenty of speed. (I've been charging my Model 3 through a standard 20-amp wall socket for 2 years now and haven't needed more than that.) We haven't taken it on a trip yet, but we should be getting the Tesla network adapters soon, which should make road tripping fairly easy.

Styling: I love how it looks. My wife thinks it looks like a Rolls Royce in silver. It's futuristic without looking stupid. (Cybertruck, I'm looking at you.) I think the design will age really well. The interior in Ocean Coast is lovely. I think it has enough style to be interesting without being overdone. My Tesla looks really spartan and boring inside in comparison. I have 2 young children, so I worried about the white interior in my wife's Tesla, but it has held up fine. I'm guessing the Rivian interior will also hold up well, particularly since the materials seem much more rugged and better quality. The lighter color should keep the car cooler during the Texas summers.

Comfort and Convenience: I find the front seats comfortable. They heat up nicely, along with the steering wheel. I'm guessing I'm going to like the cooled seats once summer hits. My son likes being able to control the rear heated seats through the rear screen. The latch anchors are readily accessible for car seats. The 3rd row is fine for a couple of kids or small adults, which is who 3rd rows are made for. Even with all of the seats up, there is plenty of storage space in the back and in the huge frunk. If you drop the back seats, you've got a ton of room for moving big items.

All in all, I think this is an amazing vehicle. It's as fast as a sports car, can off road better than anything this side of a modded Wrangler, and can tow a boat, all while being comfortable for 6 passengers. It's hard to believe that's even possible. I think this is probably the single most capable production vehicle ever built. I'm an engineer, so I can appreciate all of the great work that went into developing this vehicle. Nice work, Rivian! I'm looking forward to what they do next. The future is here, and it's great!
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Awesome review but you need a picture. I will grab it from your for sale thread.

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Review IMG_1163

Oyabro

First Name
Oury
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Fixing technical things for simple people
Thanks for the great review! Makes me feel even more excited about my reservation and bringing an R1S in to my family. I can’t wait.

OP
OP

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
Awesome review but you need a picture. I will grab it from your for sale thread.

IMG_1163.jpeg
That’s her. Personally, I think silver is underrated. I don’t see many of them around, but I think it’s a fantastic color for the R1S. They are also great looking in black, but I hardly ever see that color. That said, I had a black car before and will never do it again. It looked angelic when clean, but it was never clean for more than about five minutes.

OP
OP

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
Thanks for the great review! Makes me feel even more excited about my reservation and bringing an R1S in to my family. I can’t wait.
You’re going to love it. Before delivery, I was really nervous about the build quality, but the one I got is really solid. Rivian has improved its quality much faster than Tesla managed to do.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
I think you need to keep this car.
I might yet! I might still sell my Model 3 instead, but I’ve always been a small car kind of guy. The truck thing is a big change for me, even if the truck is awesome. The Model 3 is zippier, easy to park, and really efficient. The Rivian is great for seating the extended family and carrying big items. The interior is so much nicer, and I feel safer driving it around all of my neighbors with Suburbans, Tahoes, and full size trucks. On the other hand, the Tesla has already massively depreciated from Hertz dumping cars, Tesla price reductions, and the new model coming out. It won’t depreciate much going forward, while the Rivian will be losing a bit of value for the next couple of years. I can afford to keep both, but I might not be able to afford my wife’s displeasure with me for having more cars than drivers! It’s sometimes hard being a car guy.

OP
OP

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
I do like that they are both American designed and manufactured. I’m not a super rah rah patriot, but I do prefer buying American products when I can. I’ve had good luck with Hondas over the years, but I try harder to buy American now since there are better options compared to the dismal 1970s and 1980s.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
About the charging... Using the mobile charger and a 14-50 plug will not be the best bet long term. Charging an EV is not like running a welder or a dryer, many electricians do not understand this. 14-50 outlets are not duty rated for a lot of plugging and unplugging. Not all 14-50 outlets are created equal, some are lower quality than others. If you didn't specify the outlet manufacturer, then you probably got a cheap one from your installer. That plus the plugging and unplugging, and you are asking for problems. You will want the mobile charger with you on any road trips. The best option is a hardwired charger, and there are many quality ones to pick from. This has been covered extensively on this forum and in the Reddit subs.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
I've now driven my R1S for 1800 miles or so, so I thought I would write a review for the benefit of people considering a Rivian. Most of my observations are similar to others I have read, so this probably won't be particularly novel to most, but maybe I'll provide some new nuance and another datapoint.

Delivery: This went great. I arrived for my appointment, signed a couple of forms, took a quick tour of the car, and was off. Everybody was nice and professional, and nobody tried to sell me extended warranties, fabric protectors, and all those other dealer rip-offs. Nice!

Build Quality: Mine appears to be really, really well put together. The paint looks good. The panel alignment is good. All the doors open and close cleanly. Everything works. There is a slight wrinkle in the headliner above the third row, but I struggle to find anything else to complain about. I haven't had to take it in for any reason.

Navigation and Voice Commands: The navigation sometimes struggles to find places that my Tesla has no problem with, and the voice commands are also behind what Tesla supports. Rivian has made good progress on software since I've owned the vehicle, so I imagine this will improve soon.

Software: Outside of the navigation and voice commands, I think the rest of the software is pretty solid. The menus work well and make sense, and the operation is quick. The graphics are good. I use Spotify for music and podcasts, and that works fine, even better than with my Tesla. Basic functionality is good, comparable to Tesla. They added scheduled departure recently, which I love. The new menus they added in the last release are convenient. In general, the software is solid and getting better rapidly. Voice calls work well, and I like being able to ask Alexa questions. I also really like the garage door opener that I can operate with one click on the steering wheel and the 3D parking feature.

Ride and Handling: I have the 22s. The ride quality in Sport is really rough, particularly if the tires are even slightly overinflated. I generally ride in All-Purpose with the ride height in the middle and the stiffness in moderate. In that setting, I think the ride is perfectly acceptable even over bad roads, but certainly not plush. It's better than the ride in our Model 3 or Model Y for sure. The handling is incredible for such a big vehicle. It really corners flat and can hustle around corners nearly as well as my Model 3. It's fun to drive.

Steering, Braking, and Acceleration: Rivian really nailed the regenerative breaking. It's much stronger than what Tesla has, which makes one-pedal driving much easier to me. I basically never use the brakes except in an emergency. The pads are going to literally last forever. The acceleration is amazing. You can leave the vast majority of sports cars in your wake. I didn't like the throttle mapping when I got the car, but a recent software release really improved it. It feels much better now and makes controlling the car much easier. To me the steering is a little looser than I prefer, but I'm used to driving small, sporty cars (think Miatas). I have no trouble placing the car precisely, so this isn't a functional issue, just a feel preference.

Insurance: I got a quote from Rivian that was absolutely horror show. I ended up getting insurance through USAA for a fraction of the price, similar to what we pay for our Teslas. If you get a bad insurance quote, be sure to shop around. It's amazing how much the quotes can differ.

Charging: I charge with the included charger through a 50-amp appliance plug in my garage that I paid an electrician $250 to install. I get about 14 mph of range out of this, which means it needs to charge 2-3 hours a night on average to get me back to "full" each morning. I don' t personally see any need for a fixed wall charger, as this is plenty of speed. (I've been charging my Model 3 through a standard 20-amp wall socket for 2 years now and haven't needed more than that.) We haven't taken it on a trip yet, but we should be getting the Tesla network adapters soon, which should make road tripping fairly easy.

Styling: I love how it looks. My wife thinks it looks like a Rolls Royce in silver. It's futuristic without looking stupid. (Cybertruck, I'm looking at you.) I think the design will age really well. The interior in Ocean Coast is lovely. I think it has enough style to be interesting without being overdone. My Tesla looks really spartan and boring inside in comparison. I have 2 young children, so I worried about the white interior in my wife's Tesla, but it has held up fine. I'm guessing the Rivian interior will also hold up well, particularly since the materials seem much more rugged and better quality. The lighter color should keep the car cooler during the Texas summers.

Comfort and Convenience: I find the front seats comfortable. They heat up nicely, along with the steering wheel. I'm guessing I'm going to like the cooled seats once summer hits. My son likes being able to control the rear heated seats through the rear screen. The latch anchors are readily accessible for car seats. The 3rd row is fine for a couple of kids or small adults, which is who 3rd rows are made for. Even with all of the seats up, there is plenty of storage space in the back and in the huge frunk. If you drop the back seats, you've got a ton of room for moving big items.

All in all, I think this is an amazing vehicle. It's as fast as a sports car, can off road better than anything this side of a modded Wrangler, and can tow a boat, all while being comfortable for 6 passengers. It's hard to believe that's even possible. I think this is probably the single most capable production vehicle ever built. I'm an engineer, so I can appreciate all of the great work that went into developing this vehicle. Nice work, Rivian! I'm looking forward to what they do next. The future is here, and it's great!
👍🏼😎

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
About the charging... Using the mobile charger and a 14-50 plug will not be the best bet long term. Charging an EV is not like running a welder or a dryer, many electricians do not understand this. 14-50 outlets are not duty rated for a lot of plugging and unplugging. Not all 14-50 outlets are created equal, some are lower quality than others. If you didn't specify the outlet manufacturer, then you probably got a cheap one from your installer. That plus the plugging and unplugging, and you are asking for problems. You will want the mobile charger with you on any road trips. The best option is a hardwired charger, and there are many quality ones to pick from. This has been covered extensively on this forum and in the Reddit subs.
While I dont disagree with the idea you present... It would be far cheaper to just buy a second portable charger, and leave the one he is currently using just plugged in. This would alleviate both problems you present.

While I dont disagree, having a designated charger that is up to the duty cycle of the EV. The portable charger seems to be working for him on his Tesla, and I would foresee it working fine for his R1.

I had to use my portable for the first 2 weeks of ownership, on a 110V, and if I had a 220 plug, I would have been able to keep using the portable. The 110v did not provide enough charge to keep a balance of use and charge. I had already bought the Riv Charger... So... It got installed.

If my charger does die. I will likely convert the wiring to a standard 220v plug, and try to see if this works. If it does, than I will leave it as is, and buy another portable.

cgm9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Cadillac ATS-V, SRT Viper, Kawasaki ZX-14R
Glad you're enjoying it - it's crazy how negative some people are on here. I have similar mileage on mine and my thoughts are very similar to yours. My Rivian is fantastic and it literally puts me into a great mood every time I get behind the wheel.

I can't comment on the 22s but I have the 21s and with the 3 suspension tunes we now have, there's a setting for all situations. I've had multiple vehicles with adaptive suspension of various flavors (GM Magnaride, SRT, BMW, etc.) and I don't think I've switched between modes as much as I have with the Rivian. When I just want to "waft" like I'm in a good ol' American land yacht, I put it in soft (usually after a long day at work). When I'm on a twisty section of road, Sport it is. I generally leave it in Moderate and find the tuning very good for such a heavy vehicle.

My observations with build quality echo yours. I took delivery Nov. 2023 and there are very few build quality issues, none of which warrant a service call. My hood is ever so slightly misaligned. Other than that, I've been very happy with the build quality.

Exactly. While Rivian has received plenty of good reviews, I find it strange that more people haven't been as blown away as I have given its overall performance bandwidth. There has literally never been a vehicle produced that can do what the Rivian can do. And yet, all some people can talk about is the lack of CarPlay and power rear seats. Insanity.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Great review and write up.

I test drove the refreshed Tesla Model 3 two weeks ago. The overall refinement to the car was extremely impressive. Quiet, great ride and excellent fit and finish. I loved the new LED ambient lighting strip that runs throughout the cabin.

We were so impressed that we are going to be ordering the refreshed Model Y to replace our 2021 Model Y once “Project Juniper” goes into production.

tobidogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Jaguar XE-S / Misc.
Occupation
Snowboards...
TLDR; vehicle impressive, everything around it not so much...

I wanted to chime in here as I have been lurking on this forum for a while as I waited for my R1S.

Pre-Delivery : Rivian gets a F in my book. My guide seemed not to know what the word guide means and the entire process was never described to me. I was on a trip to Alaska and was not able to check my email or phone for over a week. It seems the "guide" was reaching out to me about the vehicle and because I didnt reply the vehicle was "released" to someone else. This is despite asking for an update from the "guide" before I left and never seeing a date on the webpage. It was incredibly difficult to deal with Rivian. I got fed up enough that I went to Porsche and Jaguar to place an order for an EV. I complained and it seems the vehicle was NOT given to someone else. What a waste of my time.

Delivery : Maybe C - This is not the first expensive vehicle I have purchased. The idea that to get it delivered is a 1000$ is insulting. I live 50 miles from a Rivian location. That is about 300$/hour to deliver a car. I'm guessing Rivian isnt hiring Jr Associate lawyers to deliver their vehicles. All of my Jaguars have been brought to me, included in the price. Moreover, I am pretty sure Rivian made up a law that says the vehicle has to be paid for 24 hours in advance of pickup. I dont care enough to make a thing of it, but it was absurd how hard they made it.

The R1S : this might be the most amazing vehicle I have ever driven that isnt an Aston Martin or Bentley - the finish is amazing, it is so fast and smooth. There is no reason to go on and on here, not is incredibly impressive and should cost easily 50 grand more.

Since it is just impressive here are the couple things that bug me:

1 - the grey magical cars and people on the gauge panel - good lord what is the point? I wish I could disable this as it is stupid looking, janky, and distracting. I can see the damn cars...I just don't know the point.
2 - the lack of car play, I dont blame Rivian here, Apple needs a version of CP that lets it play nice like Spotify or something. I dont need it to take over the entire UX, just a few buttons in a window. I'll live without it.
3 - lack of 12v "lighter" outlet....come on now this is just lame - a few bucks and I got one working.
4 - there is a lot of beeping and alerts and other nanny state stuff going on. I miss the old days when I could reach up under the dash and pull out a buzzer or something and make it stop.
5 - FRONT WHEEL DRIVE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Gott im Himmel...given this is likely software controllable why make a truck front wheel drive?!?!

Again, the thing is AMAZING, so I didnt want to go on and on about how nice this vehicle is...but that is my short list of issues 1 week in.

oh and the qMerit thing (or whatever it is called) - gotta love the government: it seems there is a 1000$ tax break or something to install the chargers in homes. So magically every install quote I got was 800-900$ which was insane given when I built this home just 14 months ago I had 4 AWG wire run from the panel on a 60 AMP breaker to a junction box. So the electrician needed to come and do maybe 45 min work. Whelp, I just got frustrated with the quotes and them not listening to me and hired a local guy and it cost 225$. I could have done it, but true-to-form he worked live and that is not something I'm willing to do! HAHAHA!

OP
OP

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
Is this advice Rivian specific, or are you and the other boffins on this forum and the Reddit subs recommending wall chargers for all EV owners?
Sponsored