Sponsored

New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This thread holds a lot of good information. But it also feels like it’s contradicting another that I read recently here somewhere.

it was stated that AS tires will definitely do better/higher efficiency than the stock Pirelli AT tires on the 20”. From this thread, I gather that there is not yet a solid alternative available for the 20” that definitively increases efficiency and “makes you gain back those 50 miles lost to the Offroad package”.

It seems both the M/S 2 and the Platinums actually get worse efficiency.
Quick offhand comments about worse efficient, without data and comparable conditions, are unfortunately useless. We gotta see similar conditions and identical tests to compare.

AFA 20* AS tires, there are plenty of options. Use the Search button in the top right, a lot of us have tried tires and posted data. I get 2.6+ mi/kWh on my summer tires.
Sponsored

an-thu-knee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T (Limestone)
Well, today I did 2.6 miles per kw on all purpose!. I’m attaching pics at your request! Incredibly split and quiet!
IMG_0982.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg
IMG_0974.jpeg
Have you tested these tires in the snow yet? I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Defender LTX M/S2, and keeping the All Terrains just for Summer time adventures. The previous gen M/S has awesome reviews and actually performs great in the snow despite not being 3PMSF. If the M/S2 are the same, then I'm fairly confident they would outperform the Stock Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in the snow.

Beanejar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - CY/OC
Have you tested these tires in the snow yet? I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Defender LTX M/S2, and keeping the All Terrains just for Summer time adventures. The previous gen M/S has awesome reviews and actually performs great in the snow despite not being 3PMSF. If the M/S2 are the same, then I'm fairly confident they would outperform the Stock Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in the snow.
I’ve had them on for a few weeks. Serious snow last few days. Went out to do some ‘research’ on some back roads and parking lots for purely scientific evaluation. ;)

Definitely better than OEM… was slipping in the slightest snow or ice, but was down to few mm of tread, so, somewhat expected. Friend with more tread on his 22 OEM’s still slipping everywhere.

The Defenders seem good. Could only slip when actually performing irresponsible maneuvers - too fast for corner, high regen on a downward hill testing stopping ability (did fine in snow mode). Overall, very pleased with the M/S2 22’s. Not impossible to slip, I’m sure. But, much more confident with these on our R1S.

Edit…
mikehmb reminds me - yea, road noise was indiscernible from OEM tires. Might have been quieter even. Super grippy on dry pavement. Tried one launch to check spin - nope, just fast.

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I’ve had them on for a few weeks. Serious snow last few days. Went out to do some ‘research’ on some back roads and parking lots for purely scientific evaluation. ;)

Definitely better than OEM… was slipping in the slightest snow or ice, but was down to few mm of tread, so, somewhat expected. Friend with more tread on his 22 OEM’s still slipping everywhere.

The Defenders seem good. Could only slip when actually performing irresponsible maneuvers - too fast for corner, high regen on a downward hill testing stopping ability (did fine in snow mode). Overall, very pleased with this on the M/S2 22’s. Not impossible to slip, I’m sure. But, much more confident with these on our R1S.
This aligns with my previous experience running the LTX on a previous AWD vehicle (Acura MDX - ‘13). Those tires were unflappable in pretty much any condition I was willing to subject my family to.

Great in snow. Super quiet and comfortable. MDX got crap for mpg efficiency so hard to say there.

Sponsored

wirenut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We got a lot of snow here in WA and I got a chance to test them going over mountains passes. Felt very confident, it was just pulling thought like it was nothing. I have Defenders since October and love them!

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
I have not. I've traded those tires in for the Platinums. The sidewalls were too soft and made the RT1 unstable in swerving situations.

R1 Lime

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Put me down as another happy owner of the Defenders. Running the 275/60r20 48psi on Black Rhino Votaic rims. My car originally came with the 22s. These tires have a lot of the same road performance of the OEM 22s, but with a more comfy and sometimes bouncy ride. I'll take a little bounce any day over a low profile tire slamming on bumps.

Efficiency has been great as well. Prior to these tires I had 20" Cooper All Terrain which were getting around 1.6 on my afternoon commute. The Michelin's got 2.4. I have no doubt these will continue to perform well and net 330+ miles on a full charge in conserve mode on trips. Will be taking an 8 hour journey in a few months which will put them to the test.

Rivian R1T R1S New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon 1707149768284

Rivian R1T R1S New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon 1707149789613

Rivian R1T R1S New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon 1707150061068

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I have not. I've traded those tires in for the Platinums. The sidewalls were too soft and made the RT1 unstable in swerving situations.
What kind of efficiency are you getting out of the platinums compared to the M/S2’s?

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

What kind of efficiency are you getting out of the platinums compared to the M/S2’s?
There's not a fair comparison yet as the Platinum is a 34" size (275/65R20) and the M/S2 is 33" (275/60R20). Platinum is ~60# and M/S2 is 39# and an inch narrower...
Roughly speaking the M/S2 is getting around 2.3 MPK and Platinum is only ~1.8 MPK.
I'm not a fan of the Platinum tread, and so far the only review on Tire Rack isn't great:
" I returned these tires and got Continental TerrainContact HT instead. "

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Has anyone done a proper All Purpose efficiency test of the the M/S2 in 275/60R20?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It’s been hard with the fluctuating weather for me
Same, and ideally I'd like to do a side by side with the OEM 21s. So far I've seen similar if not slightly better but I need to get a nice clear warm day to do a 200 mile trip and get a good read.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Same, and ideally I'd like to do a side by side with the OEM 21s. So far I've seen similar if not slightly better but I need to get a nice clear warm day to do a 200 mile trip and get a good read.
I averaged ~2.38mi/kWh with 21s over the course of 1 full year, according to the trip meter. I've done zero road trips with the new Michelin's but I'm driving to Atlanta (~170 miles) for a concert in 3 weeks so I'll hopefully see over 2.4mi/kWh.
Sponsored