OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
My local tire dealer had told me Michelin was working on a beefed-up Defender tire coming later this year that he felt would be a good option for my R1T with 22" wheels. I found this on Discount Tires website. Looks interesting.

From the Discount Tires web site:

The best part? The Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 is EV compatible. Whether you drive a Ford F-150 Lightning or a Rivian R1T or R1S, this Michelin may be the tire for you. It’s also a great fit for the Chevy Silverado, RAM pickups, Ford F-Series trucks, the Toyota Tacoma and 4Runner and many, many more popular vehicles.

Other features of the Defender LTX M/S 2 include:
  • An all-new tread pattern featuring deeper tread and stiffer tread blocks resists treadwear for long-lasting tread life.
  • Built to be as quiet as it is capable, the M/S2 features Michelin’s Piano Acoustic Tuning to smooth out tread disturbances and reduce energy peaks.
  • Boasting Michelin’s MaxTouch 2.0 Technology, every tire size is optimized for even stress distribution within the tire footprint, yielding extended tread life.
  • For adhesive grip in slippery conditions, it’s loaded up with SipeLock Technology, AKA hundreds of 3-D sipes that bite into water and light snow.
  • Those 3-D sipes also lock together during cornering maneuvers, as well as braking and accelerating, stabilizing the tread blocks for precise steering control.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 Treadwear & Warranty
If you know anything about the Michelin Defender nameplate, it’s probably for its unstoppable tread life. And the M/S 2 has been redesigned from the ground up to provide modern trucks and SUVs with even more tread life than ever before. With that in mind, P-metric sizes come backed by a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty, while LT (AKA light truck) tire sizes feature a 50,000-mile treadwear warranty.

For the driver who wants protection that goes beyond the mileage, consider our industry-leading tire protection coverage. If your new Michelin tires are damaged beyond safe repair, we’ll provide you with a brand new replacement tire—no questions asked.

You can add our Certificates in your cart!

As vehicles get bigger and more powerful, you need a tire that can handle it all, including foul weather, heavy loads and instant torque. That tire is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s2/p/126850

Update: Michelin has confirmed a couple of times now that the Defender LTX M/S2 in the 22" will not be available until April 2024. With rain/winter driving coming I went ahead and put on Continental TerrainContact H/T. We only have 50 miles on them, so we'll see how things go. This tire is ~41 lbs vs the OEM Pirelli is 44 lbs. We need a bit more time, but thus far they seem like a very good choice. Discount tire matched Walmart at $1,177.00 out the door with a 70K warranty.

Rivian R1T R1S New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon IMG_7553

Rivian R1T R1S New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon IMG_7554

Rivian R1T R1S New Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 coming soon IMG_7551

Boykie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, Mini CooperS, BMX Z8
An update. I've had these tires on for about 100 miles. It turns out discount tire didn't inflate them properly... one tire was as low as 39 PSI 🤡 After inflating to 48 PSI road noise and comfort a very similar to the 21s I had before. I still think they are slightly softer than 21s.

Efficiency has been also very similar so far. The last 400 miles on 21s I had 1.94 miles per kw. With defenders I'm getting 1.92 miles per kw, but it's also considerably cooler now.

So far I love the tires. They look great in my opinion and I'm really excited to try them in winter since they rate so high in winter tests.

Adding few more pictures!
IMG_1742.jpeg
IMG_1740.jpeg
IMG_1739.jpeg
IMG_1738.jpeg
Is the weight rating on this 115H

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

My local tire dealer had told me Michelin was working on a beefed-up Defender tire coming later this year that he felt would be a good option for my R1T with 22" wheels. I found this on Discount Tires website. Looks interesting.

From the Discount Tires web site:

The best part? The Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 is EV compatible. Whether you drive a Ford F-150 Lightning or a Rivian R1T or R1S, this Michelin may be the tire for you. It’s also a great fit for the Chevy Silverado, RAM pickups, Ford F-Series trucks, the Toyota Tacoma and 4Runner and many, many more popular vehicles.

Other features of the Defender LTX M/S 2 include:
  • An all-new tread pattern featuring deeper tread and stiffer tread blocks resists treadwear for long-lasting tread life.
  • Built to be as quiet as it is capable, the M/S2 features Michelin’s Piano Acoustic Tuning to smooth out tread disturbances and reduce energy peaks.
  • Boasting Michelin’s MaxTouch 2.0 Technology, every tire size is optimized for even stress distribution within the tire footprint, yielding extended tread life.
  • For adhesive grip in slippery conditions, it’s loaded up with SipeLock Technology, AKA hundreds of 3-D sipes that bite into water and light snow.
  • Those 3-D sipes also lock together during cornering maneuvers, as well as braking and accelerating, stabilizing the tread blocks for precise steering control.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 Treadwear & Warranty
If you know anything about the Michelin Defender nameplate, it’s probably for its unstoppable tread life. And the M/S 2 has been redesigned from the ground up to provide modern trucks and SUVs with even more tread life than ever before. With that in mind, P-metric sizes come backed by a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty, while LT (AKA light truck) tire sizes feature a 50,000-mile treadwear warranty.

For the driver who wants protection that goes beyond the mileage, consider our industry-leading tire protection coverage. If your new Michelin tires are damaged beyond safe repair, we’ll provide you with a brand new replacement tire—no questions asked.

You can add our Certificates in your cart!

As vehicles get bigger and more powerful, you need a tire that can handle it all, including foul weather, heavy loads and instant torque. That tire is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s2/p/126850
Yes you described the Defender Platinum that was just released by Michelin. I have just installed a set of 285/60R20 on my truck. Not all sizes are available yet like the 275/60R20's that are on most Rivians.
See my review.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Yes you described the Defender Platinum that was just released by Michelin. I have just installed a set of 285/60R20 on my truck. Not all sizes are available yet like the 275/60R20's that are on most Rivians.
See my review.
No, Platinum is the AT…I was looking for the XL in the 22”. Michelin has the E1 load rated 10 ply available, but it’s $510/ea and 53 lbs. The XL is significantly cheaper and lighter, but not available till April. Thus, went with the Conti’s which are also excellent and a heck of a deal.

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
I'm holding out for the 22s, going to try to squeeze my oems until April.

Sponsored

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

This thread holds a lot of good information. But it also feels like it’s contradicting another that I read recently here somewhere.

it was stated that AS tires will definitely do better/higher efficiency than the stock Pirelli AT tires on the 20”. From this thread, I gather that there is not yet a solid alternative available for the 20” that definitively increases efficiency and “makes you gain back those 50 miles lost to the Offroad package”.

It seems both the M/S 2 and the Platinums actually get worse efficiency.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
This thread holds a lot of good information. But it also feels like it’s contradicting another that I read recently here somewhere.

it was stated that AS tires will definitely do better/higher efficiency than the stock Pirelli AT tires on the 20”. From this thread, I gather that there is not yet a solid alternative available for the 20” that definitively increases efficiency and “makes you gain back those 50 miles lost to the Offroad package”.

It seems both the M/S 2 and the Platinums actually get worse efficiency.
There’s next to zero chance the M/S2 get worse efficiency than stock all terrains. I just changed from stock 21” all seasons to 20” M/S2, I’m hoping it’s a little more efficient being a lighter tire.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I saw these in another thread the other day. The Toyo Open Country AT3 EV piqued my interest: Still AT, Still 3PMS symbol, EV Tuned, 50k warranty

The new Michelin LTX Platinums also look intriguing for an all season ... but lack the extra snow capability.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

There’s next to zero chance the M/S2 get worse efficiency than stock all terrains. I just changed from stock 21” all seasons to 20” M/S2, I’m hoping it’s a little more efficient being a lighter tire.
Someone in this thread here is getting worse with them than stock.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Someone in this thread here is getting worse with them than stock.
Yea I saw that but it’s also colder out, etc etc. Lots of variables and IMO it will be a few thousand miles before they can be compared properly.
Sponsored