Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sorry, though hate to say, a bit surprised it hasn’t happened sooner.

Not trying to be a dick. In this case, it is based on my own experience dismantling my OG stock PTC which was jammed awhile back. That plus the earlier vids posted here of the replacement PTC gave off the same janky vibe.

Awe hell. Really want to be wrong here and just a dick.
Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sorry, OP. But, a bad design will continue to be a bad design no matter how many small changes they make.

On the other hand, I think they should fix the wireless charging as well. Even RJ acknowledges it does not work, yet they continue to build new cars with the defective design.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Like many people, I had issues with the original powered Tonneau cover. It would retract about halfway and get stuck. I reported this months ago and was "on the list" for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago, Rivian called to say they had my newly redesigned Tonneau cover in stock and they were ready to schedule the replacement. I dropped the truck off and it took two days, but I got my new cover and all was well, or so I thought.

I never really used it until about two weeks later. I pressed the "open" button and the cover retracted about 2/3 of the way and stopped. The screen showed an error saying the "cover was jammed, please extend and retract it again" which I did. This time it again retracted about 2/3 of the way and then it let out a very LOUD pop. The majority of the cover retracted and was spinning inside while a section of the cover separated and was left outside at an odd angle.

I called Rivian and they said they had never had one of the new ones fail (just my luck) and they would get it in ASAP and since they had another replacement in stock, they should be able to repair it the same day. Well, I dropped it off this morning and they just texted to tell me it did need to be replaced but they did not in fact have one in stock and I will get my truck back in about 3-4 days with what will be my 3rd tonneau cover.

I just do not understand why they continue to struggle with these covers. Very frustrating.

20240318_081257.jpg
Just for data, what was the temperature when this happened? Was it sitting out covered by snow/ice at any point?

I am hoping that it’s a low probably early-life failure mode and not a design flaw with PTC2.0. Simultaneously, I fear we may be in for dry-lube party 2.0.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Like many people, I had issues with the original powered Tonneau cover. It would retract about halfway and get stuck. I reported this months ago and was "on the list" for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago, Rivian called to say they had my newly redesigned Tonneau cover in stock and they were ready to schedule the replacement. I dropped the truck off and it took two days, but I got my new cover and all was well, or so I thought.

I never really used it until about two weeks later. I pressed the "open" button and the cover retracted about 2/3 of the way and stopped. The screen showed an error saying the "cover was jammed, please extend and retract it again" which I did. This time it again retracted about 2/3 of the way and then it let out a very LOUD pop. The majority of the cover retracted and was spinning inside while a section of the cover separated and was left outside at an odd angle.

I called Rivian and they said they had never had one of the new ones fail (just my luck) and they would get it in ASAP and since they had another replacement in stock, they should be able to repair it the same day. Well, I dropped it off this morning and they just texted to tell me it did need to be replaced but they did not in fact have one in stock and I will get my truck back in about 3-4 days with what will be my 3rd tonneau cover.

I just do not understand why they continue to struggle with these covers. Very frustrating.

20240318_081257.jpg
I wonder if something is off regarding the alignment of your tracks causing the immediate failure

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just for data, what was the temperature when this happened? Was it sitting out covered by snow/ice at any point?
IMO snow and ice alone aren't enough to break it unless it's completely covered.

Sponsored

jb0063

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

20240318_081257.jpg
My original has always worked for the most part, however, it jams depending on the temperature. It seems the slot where the fins retract into sags a little in the middle, and this is exacerbated by warmer temps expanding the plastic that runs across the top of the slot. When it jams, if I press down a bit on the middle of the jammed tonneau fin, it fully retracts as it should.

BenB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I had mine fixed a few weeks ago, I have opened and closed it maybe a dozen time but each time I hope all goes well. So far it has. I do have a silicone spray recommended by a Rivian rep that came to fix my first cover and I use it often. Logically I cannot see how the cover will continue to function unless you keep the rails perfectly clean. Today my cover works but thanks for the warning I will be more selective of when to open and close it.

feedairy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Tacoma, R1T preorder
Went offroading a couple weekends ago and got my v2 powered cover muddy and dirty as all get-up. I power washed her clean, but it's sounded REAL creaky ever since....

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Sorry, OP. But, a bad design will continue to be a bad design no matter how many small changes they make.

On the other hand, I think they should fix the wireless charging as well. Even RJ acknowledges it does not work, yet they continue to build new cars with the defective design.
For about $100 you can buy and install an after-market wireless cell phone charger that will work. I don't know why Rivian hasn't, but if it is something that continues to aggrieve you, you can fix it now.

Gandy14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, R1T DM
Occupation
Journeyman Carpenter

20240318_081257.jpg
That's a real bummer but at least it's under warranty. I made a manual one to get me through until they offer the powered one again.
Sponsored