Sponsored

kroderman

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
Like many people, I had issues with the original powered Tonneau cover. It would retract about halfway and get stuck. I reported this months ago and was "on the list" for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago, Rivian called to say they had my newly redesigned Tonneau cover in stock and they were ready to schedule the replacement. I dropped the truck off and it took two days, but I got my new cover and all was well, or so I thought.

I never really used it until about two weeks later. I pressed the "open" button and the cover retracted about 2/3 of the way and stopped. The screen showed an error saying the "cover was jammed, please extend and retract it again" which I did. This time it again retracted about 2/3 of the way and then it let out a very LOUD pop. The majority of the cover retracted and was spinning inside while a section of the cover separated and was left outside at an odd angle.

I called Rivian and they said they had never had one of the new ones fail (just my luck) and they would get it in ASAP and since they had another replacement in stock, they should be able to repair it the same day. Well, I dropped it off this morning and they just texted to tell me it did need to be replaced but they did not in fact have one in stock and I will get my truck back in about 3-4 days with what will be my 3rd tonneau cover.

I just do not understand why they continue to struggle with these covers. Very frustrating.

Rivian R1T R1S New Replacement Powered Tonneau Cover broke ...again 20240318_081257
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Anytime the fix is a minor change to a bad original design I worry about this happening. I hope the 3rd try is a charm for you. FWIW you are the only person I have seen here say the new cover has broken.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Sorry to hear this happened OP. Very disappointed for you. I have been eagerly awaiting our PTC appointment in early April.

I don’t know how many of the new PTCs are out in the wild, but it can’t be that many. I hope this will end up being a rare event for you and for everyone else.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
The power tonneau was one of the many cool factors when I first got interested in Rivian. An integrated retractable cover seemed like it would be a lot more convenient than the one piece tilt up cover on my old truck.

Now, though, I am grateful that the PTC got cancelled from my order. My DIY cover based on the Interrobang design and using their slide kit has been 100% problem free. I also appreciate the fact that if it were to be damaged or broken I can fix it myself. All of which makes me think Rivian could alleviate some headaches by offering customers the choice of a PTC replacement or a simple refund.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Sucks. Mine broke late last year finally. After getting it opened up, the request has fallen off of my service history.

Been waiting to make a request for repair until the local SC opens up this summer.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ah, s'more manufacturing variance. Sorry you're going through this OP.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Ugh sorry to hear that. Mine goes in for replacement in 2 days. Funny thing is, my Oct 2022 delivery cover still works fine. It's had a few hiccups since then but has never fully jammed.

Hope I don't live to regret this since I also had to remove my bed rack for this service.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
OP, sorry to hear this. This is the first I've heard of the replacements breaking as well. Good luck

For perspective on the forum, the original PTC on my June 2022 delivery is still working fine. I open/close when hauling things that won't fit under the cover, when loading the bed for trips, when hauling my MTB on the tailgate pad, etc. So it's not everyday but I haven't hesitated to open when needed over the last 21 months.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@OP what a bummer! The PTC has been an unmitigated disaster for Rivian and I'm sorry you've been swept up into it as well...

Hopefully 3rd time's the charm and your experience proves to be a fluke.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I hate to hear all this. The Rivian tonneau covers have been a mess for the company. These should have been left to aftermarketeers from the start.

Brian

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Cocked like a pistol!!

Sorry OP... hope they fix it right this time!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear this happened OP. Very disappointed for you. I have been eagerly awaiting our PTC appointment in early April.

I don’t know how many of the new PTCs are out in the wild, but it can’t be that many. I hope this will end up being a rare event for you and for everyone else.
Just had mine installed today. Not feeling good….

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Mine is being installed tomorrow. This is the only case I've heard about an issue with the new tonneau (granted I only browse here and Reddit for Rivian stuff).

I'm not worried yet. Hope it's an outlier that is fixed quickly.
Sponsored