Sponsored

Paint Care Protection Thread

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I had Xpel and ceramic on my Porsche after an amazing paint correction. It was great for keeping it clean (did you know you can drive dust off a Porsche?) but even with the film the front end is still vulnerable and any imperfection seemed magnified on a perfect finish…

My Defender has the LR factory applied wrap and I’m happier with a matte finish than paint perfection. I’m also a lot less fussy about maintenance. It almost always looks fresh…

Now if only I knew what Launch Green in aftermarket matte looked like…

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
C+ at best, I hate when I get do something 100% lol. If you have an inspection light you are like OUCH. lol
You did a great job, much better than I would’ve done. That’s why I had it done by a professional lol

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I have the L.A. Silver R1T on order. My plan is to add full coverage Xpel Stealth (matte finish) and to ceramic coat the PPF.

I have the same treatment on my 2021 Tesla Model S (Solid Black) and it looks great.

It should give the L.A. Silver a different and more complex look.

Lionel_Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Might bite the bullet and get full-body PPF when (if?) I get my R1S. I used to get heartburn over desert pinstriping my 4Runner and the Rivian is half a foot wider and twice the price...

Also, wanted to put in a shout-out for Adam's Graphene spray coating for hobbyist detailers. Not quite as easy to put on as something like Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic, but easier that a full-on DIY coating. I've been hugely impressed by the gloss, beading, and durability so far.

Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I wish I'd put hood, bumper, and rocker ppf of my Giulia but overall the paint still looks excellent after 4 harsh winters and no automatic car washes. IMO, full PPF is for 6 figure vehicles likely to gain value and people with more money than sense.

I use the Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray on product and find it reliably lasts 6 months. Easy to see that it's working because the soap falls off the car as if there was a layer of air between it and the paint.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I wish I'd put hood, bumper, and rocker ppf of my Giulia but overall the paint still looks excellent after 4 harsh winters and no automatic car washes. IMO, full PPF is for 6 figure vehicles likely to gain value and people with more money than sense.

I use the Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray on product and find it reliably lasts 6 months. Easy to see that it's working because the soap falls off the car as if there was a layer of air between it and the paint.
Great thread! I vacillate between ppl and ceramic. I second the Griots 3. I used it on two of my cars and thought I would redo every six months but it's been a year and it still looks good. Spring is here and I so want to clay the car!

I heard about LR doing a factory PPF on the defender. Makes the car look matt. A rather nice look and it's from the factory. Wish Rivian would consider something similar.

Jobiwan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Got my call today and am super excited!
I’ve been getting Xpel quotes and was told they can wrap a glass roof since the wrap would crack; is this true?
What’s the best way (ceramic?) to protect the roof?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Anyone ask their PPF shop/guy if they have the patterns for R1T yet? Cutting PPF by hand vs having the computer cut the pieces is way more laborious and time is $$$.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Got my call today and am super excited!
I’ve been getting Xpel quotes and was told they can wrap a glass roof since the wrap would crack; is this true?
What’s the best way (ceramic?) to protect the roof?

I'm not sure if you mean the film would crack or the roof would crack. When I was researching getting ceramic tint on my MY roof that was some of the feedback, the heat rejection could potentially cause the roof to crack. I've never seen it but it came up enough times that I wasn't motivated to push the issue.

Jobiwan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Honestly not sure if they meant the film or the glass.
Spoke with an Xpel and suntek dealer and both said they had pre-cut patterns

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Honestly not sure if they meant the film or the glass.
Spoke with an Xpel and suntek dealer and both said they had pre-cut patterns

I'm sure someone will eventually tint it and post pics but in the meantime I'm sure shades will be available soon. I actually ended up installing a sun shade and putting it in my MY. It sounded like the tint was a little more aggressive on the R1T because I don't remember hearing a lot of complaining during the various drive events. I'm just assuming it will be awkwardly warm in the summer so I'm pre-thankful for the ventilated seats.

Good to hear there are already patters ready to go.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I didn't realize it, but the truck came with PPF already installed on the Gear Tunnel doors! Did we already know that?