Sponsored

Payment before knowing delivery estimate?

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
I received an email today indicating "it's Time to begin your purchase and prepare for your R1T delivery". When going through the link, I had to review/sign/upload multiple items.

However - I got to Payment and I paused. I don't know the delivery timeline at all (is it weeks; months; etc?) so I'm not comfortable with issuing payment.

I tried reaching out to my Guide on this issue, as I've tried reaching out to him on several other questions I have.

Does anyone know if I have to submit the payment before my spot in line and/or delivery date is set at all?

On another note, they wanted me to submit my insurance card, with VIN, during this process. It doesn't make sense for me to have insurance already since I also don't know if I'm weeks vs months out on this.

TIA.
Sponsored

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
No, don't worry about these things just yet. I would highly recommend that everyone hold off until the last possible moment to complete payment as something could happen to the vehicle in transit and that VIN may not end up being deliverable. Just have your payment/financing and insurance plans lined up. These things can be completed quickly once the vehicle is almost ready to schedule delivery (at which point you will hear from your Guide). Completing those steps now is not going to speed up the process of getting your vehicle as it is likely still in transit from the factory. In my case, it was about a month from starting 8 steps to taking delivery with most of the details being completed in the last 3 days (not including the extra few days delay caused by FedEx weather related service disruption that caused my check to not be delivered on time).

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You don’t need to complete lumber until the truck is ready for delivery.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

No rush on payment. They just want your check delivered / ACH through to them before delivery.
I WOULD suggest at least priming your insurance and asking what they need. I had to get the window sticker to share which took some emails back and forth over a couple days.

OP
OP
KubotaTed

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Actuary
No, don't worry about these things just yet. I would highly recommend that everyone hold off until the last possible moment to complete payment as something could happen to the vehicle in transit and that VIN may not end up being deliverable. Just have your payment/financing and insurance plans lined up. These things can be completed quickly once the vehicle is almost ready to schedule delivery (at which point you will hear from your Guide). Completing those steps now is not going to speed up the process of getting your vehicle as it is likely still in transit from the factory. In my case, it was about a month from starting 8 steps to taking delivery with most of the details being completed in the last 3 days (not including the extra few days delay caused by FedEx weather related service disruption that caused my check to not be delivered on time).
Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP
KubotaTed

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Actuary
No rush on payment. They just want your check delivered / ACH through to them before delivery.
I WOULD suggest at least priming your insurance and asking what they need. I had to get the window sticker to share which took some emails back and forth over a couple days.
Good suggestion, thank you.

emj5150

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Lexus hybrid
Occupation
Sales
I received an email today indicating "it's Time to begin your purchase and prepare for your R1T delivery". When going through the link, I had to review/sign/upload multiple items.

However - I got to Payment and I paused. I don't know the delivery timeline at all (is it weeks; months; etc?) so I'm not comfortable with issuing payment.

I tried reaching out to my Guide on this issue, as I've tried reaching out to him on several other questions I have. To date, I've never heard from my Guide at all, and he might as well have his face on the side of a milk carton.

Does anyone know if I have to submit the payment before my spot in line and/or delivery date is set at all?

On another note, they wanted me to submit my insurance card, with VIN, during this process. It doesn't make sense for me to have insurance already since I also don't know if I'm weeks vs months out on this.

TIA.
Do you mind me asking when your delivery window was? Mine is Feb/March 2023, but I haven't heard from Rivian at all. Thanks for posting this question, as I would be wondering the same thing.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
As everyone else said you don't need to complete payment until delivery is scheduled.

OP
OP
KubotaTed

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Actuary
Do you mind me asking when your delivery window was? Mine is Feb/March 2023, but I haven't heard from Rivian at all. Thanks for posting this question, as I would be wondering the same thing.
I wish I could tell you. I’ve looked back at every email I‘ve received from Rivian (most are marketing featurettes) and I dont’ see anything that indicates a window. Wish I could be of more help.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

As others said, don't worry about payment until closer to delivery. That said, mine was ready for delivery a week or two quicker than my guide thought and I had to overnight the financing (taking delivery tomorrow). I also waiting to finalize insurance until I had a delivery date set and then just set it to start on delivery day. Note, make sure that your policy extends at least 90 days before expiration from delivery date or they'll reject it.

Sponsored

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I was confused as well. The purchase process leaves much to be desired. I suggest you ask your guide frequently about the status whenever there is any delay (like trade in quote taking more than a day). Also, I suggest you bring a physical check from your lender--without the check they can't even start the delivery process.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
As others said, don't worry about payment until closer to delivery. That said, mine was ready for delivery a week or two quicker than my guide thought and I had to overnight the financing (taking delivery tomorrow). I also waiting to finalize insurance until I had a delivery date set and then just set it to start on delivery day. Note, make sure that your policy extends at least 90 days before expiration from delivery date or they'll reject it.
Just another datapoint - here in New York, they wanted my insurance finalized by 3PM the day before delivery. Something about how they technically aren't authorized to sell cars in New York so I was actually buying it from them in Illinois and the paperwork needed to be final the day before delivery. Otherwise, I waited until I had a confirmed delivery date before making the payment and insuring the vehicle, and made it effective the day before delivery.

OP
OP
KubotaTed

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Actuary

I tried reaching out to my Guide on this issue, as I've tried reaching out to him on several other questions I have.

TIA.
What a difference a day makes. I setup some time to talk with my Guide today and had a solid opportunity to walk through any questions that I have. He was quite patient and thorough with my questions. As a first time EV buyer, I really appreciated that.

The Guide confirmed that my decision was correct to pause on the payment and insurance until I had a better idea of when the vehicle would physically arrive.

Not related to my conversation with my Guide, but it turns out the truck is in route to being delivered to the service center. (he confirmed this). With that news, I "paid" the amount due today.

Thank you to those that responded as your feedback was quite welcome (and accurate).

It looks like I'm on schedule to take delivery this Friday, which was a complete (and welcome) surprise to me.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I started my 8-step on Monday and paused at the insurance step. That Saturday (6 days later) I received an email telling me that my vehicle was ready for pick-up on Monday. I replied that I wasn't sure if I could finalize payment over the weekend so we rescheduled to Tuesday and I made the wire transfer Monday and also finalized insurance.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
It looks like I'm on schedule to take delivery this Friday, which was a complete (and welcome) surprise to me.
Congratulations! Did you set up insurance to start on Midnight Friday or did they require you to start it the day prior like they did with me?
Sponsored