Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Early production automobiles (yes this is still early production) are commonly done in batches to keep rates up. Less chance of error, more speed if everything is the same. Once they’re going full speed they will begin building to order/out of sequence.

This is how making anything with lots of permutations generally works.

there is also the component supply difficulty. If they can only get black interior bits because the pigments for the ocean coast and forest edge items are in short supply, or there arent enough green vegan cowhides for seats…. Not gonna make those things.

just because customer service doesn’t know there’s delayed availability of white speaker grilles or something doesn’t mean there’s no delay.

There have been so many delays with so many things. For every corner of the manufacturing. pigments for paints, for example.

surely you’ve been affected by this in the science world?
We have had some delays in certain aspects but I know our manufacturing sites are still producing at close to 100% rather than like 50% of the Lucids and Rivians of the world.
Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
2023: “Rivian delays deliveries of R1T and R1S indefinitely due to a shortage of puffer vests for the Gear Guard Guy”
Working in retail this joke hit too close to home. Very funny.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Do you guys get some sick twisted pleasure from bothering Rivian CS?

If you read these fourms there is no reason fo you to ask CS a question, aside from wanting to harass them.

They are given a script and read from the script, we know more than they do.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

If you read these fourms there is no reason fo you to ask CS a question, aside from wanting to harass them.

Someone above posted along the lines of "I have reached out a few times the past couple weeks on my July-Sep delivery" - wait wut? Multiple times in a short window for a delivery that's 4 months away when everything going on in the world should tell you that a lot can change in 4 months.

Spoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
My wife chatted with CS for the first time since placing our order Feb/2020 yesterday. Just wanted to touch base about our Mar/Apr delivery estimate. We have OC as our interior and are still on track for Mar/Apr. Looking at the Google Doc Rivian Stories created there's a few in the Kansas City area with OC interior with Mar/Apr window. They also said we should be hearing from our Guide in the coming days. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

@Spoon - thanks for this juicy insight. Obviously you're very OC focused (could call it OCD :) ) but if you're so inclined when chatting with your Guide, don't hesitate to inquire out of curiosity about FE green interior. Perhaps say there's lots of forum chatter about it being delayed. Maybe your Guide will toss a bone that you can share back here.

Congrats on the pending ride!

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Old manufacturing trick. They are going to discourage taking OC and FE interiors because of the cost issues. If they can reduce the number of variations (at lower price) this will save Rivian money.

If you stick with the OC or FE LE, it means you get a rare option at a great value, if everybody else changes to BM.

I'm waiting on an OC for as long as possible which means I will be wasting more time on this website instead of driving.
The absolute last thing Rivian is concerned about right now is short-term profit margin.

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
I want to add some perspective on how not-abnormal this, all around.

I reserved a Model S Plaid with the 19" wheels way back in sept of 2020. Larger wheels being pothole magnets pushed me that way. FFWD 9 months and Tesla starts producing the Plaid (a different, less capable Plaid than the one they promised, but that's a diff story). I get a call from the Fremont factory (fer real) and they are like "would you be willing to take delivery of the new Plaid (lesser spec) if we can get you one in the next two weeks?"

Eventually I agreed. They changed my order over to the slightly lesser model and I awaited my any-day-now notice that it was time to take delivery.

Then I saw people way behind me in the virtual line taking delivery, and did the most basic of investigations into what might be holding me up. It turned out to be my 19" wheels. The drone videos of the factory confirmed that they were not building a single vehicle with the 19" wheels yet. But here's the kicker:

The special Tesla rep who I dealt with directly had no idea that 19" wheels were unavailable and couldn't explain my delay. I asked him to change my order to 21" (upcharge) wheels, and got a car matched to me the next day. So, don't assume that even people in some of these positions have been informed of limited production of certain sets of options.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Two years ago people had trouble finding toilet paper at the store, and today people are shocked that car manufacturers also are having problems finding parts.
Same thing on a Jeep forum I visit.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My wife chatted with CS for the first time since placing our order Feb/2020 yesterday. Just wanted to touch base about our Mar/Apr delivery estimate. We have OC as our interior and are still on track for Mar/Apr. Looking at the Google Doc Rivian Stories created there's a few in the Kansas City area with OC interior with Mar/Apr window. They also said we should be hearing from our Guide in the coming days. :fingerscrossed:
I bet you a 20" bright spare they'll offer to change you to BM to accelerate delivery ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

I I’ve had good experiences with asking CS reasonable questions one would expect a customer service person to know the answer to.

Not stuff like “why is rivian a bunch of lying liars who are Out to get me and not give me a truck?” as some people seem wont to do.

whole lotta veruca salts out there. I don’t understand pitching a fit with a customer service rep about not having your fancy electric luxury toy right when you want it.

From talking to Rivian CS and not being a dick about it, I got a drive at first mile, and they sent me some nice goodies unprompted.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I I’ve had good experiences with asking CS reasonable questions one would expect a customer service person to know the answer to.

Not stuff like “why is rivian a bunch of lying liars who are Out to get me and not give me a truck?” as some people seem wont to do.

whole lotta veruca salts out there. I don’t understand pitching a fit with a customer service rep about not having your fancy electric luxury toy right when you want it.

From talking to Rivian CS and not being a dick about it, I got a drive at first mile, and they sent me some nice goodies unprompted.
While I agree with you about First World Problem complaints being truly unwarranted...
It's hard to watch folks who live near you with preorders years after you gets deliveries before you when you have the same configuration, miss test drives by 4 hours because Uncle Sam likes weekend return to home family photoshoots over Friday logistical common sense, and random freebie shipments to 2021 pre-order punks.

NO SALT HERE. Just don't tell my shipmates I'm not Salty.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I talked to a guy at the SLC service center today, and he seemed bullish on my May-June delivery being on schedule with my current forest edge config. I wish I were as confident as him. I’ll likely switch to black mountain since I was able to actually see inside one today and deemed it acceptable. Not crazy about the black wood, but it’s not horrible.

In this supply constrained world, wouldn’t it be nice if they were constrained on forest edge fabric and black wood? Then they’d be forced to mix the FE wood with the BM seats and the world would once again be back in perfect harmony! ?. One can always dream…
Sponsored