Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just got my R1S on Thursday. As I was driving from Salt Lake City to Southern California, I had to make several charging stops at EA stations. Everything went well…until I got to Barstow and a Rivian charger.

I plugged into the first charger and got a vehicle error, charger unavailable message. So, I moved to a second charger, same thing. Then a third, fourth and fifth. All had the same issue.

I called Rivian and they said it it was because of a low state of charge. I was at 8% and service said I needed to be at 15-20% to start level 3 charging. I know this is BS because I moved to a ChargePoint L3 charger and it was fine. I charged to 20% then went back to the Rivian station and still no love. I know the stations worked because there were 2 R1Ts charging at this time.

I am really curious how service couldn’t di more troubleshooting than reboot and use someone else’s charger. That is frustrating. Thank goodness i have an R1T already or the S would be for sale right now.
Sponsored

mmdavis174

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just got my R1S on Thursday. As I was driving from Salt Lake City to Southern California, I had to make several charging stops at EA stations. Everything went well…until I got to Barstow and a Rivian charger.

I plugged into the first charger and got a vehicle error, charger unavailable message. So, I moved to a second charger, same thing. Then a third, fourth and fifth. All had the same issue.

I called Rivian and they said it it was because of a low state of charge. I was at 8% and service said I needed to be at 15-20% to start level 3 charging. I know this is BS because I moved to a ChargePoint L3 charger and it was fine. I charged to 20% then went back to the Rivian station and still no love. I know the stations worked because there were 2 R1Ts charging at this time.

I am really curious how service couldn’t di more troubleshooting than reboot and use someone else’s charger. That is frustrating. Thank goodness i have an R1T already or the S would be for sale right now.
I was charging at the RAN in Sacramento recently and another R1T was having that issue. A hard reset solved it for them.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

After three failures it locks you out from charging until either a hard reboot or service looks at it.

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They had me do a hard reset, then said it was a know issue with the R1S. If that is true, the the charging hardware is different between the T and S.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life

Needing to be at 15-20% to charge at L3 can't possibly be right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Nope, they were just trying to make up answers. I would rather them say they didn’t know than making up some story that fits the situation.

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Unfortunately, trying to deal with support cost me an hour and a half. I ended up going back to an EA station and charging enough to get home.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What a crappy start to the Rivian charging network.
Why install your own charging network if you can't even beat the competition.
This is why you open it with just your vehicles. Keeps it as simple as possible while working out the bugs. Which will pop up.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
There have been a few who have experienced L3 charging issues with the RAN and with other chargers. All indications are that these problems are with the vehicles, not the chargers. If a hard reboot doesn't work then schedule service because this should be a relatively easy fix for your vehicle.

Sponsored

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
Needing to be at 15-20% to charge at L3 can't possibly be right.
Definitely not right. I've charged many times < 10% at L3s, including on the RAN. The first time I tried to L3 charge, I did have a problem. Rivian had me do a hard reboot. That resolved the issue for me and I haven't had an issue since.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
This is why you open it with just your vehicles. Keeps it as simple as possible while working out the bugs. Which will pop up.
Just the opposite IMO. If you don't design and aggressively test for interoperability, then your network will break when you open it up. That's what we're going to see with Tesla if they ever open up their supercharger network - and perhaps they're aware of that which is why they haven't opened it up.

Remember the bad old days when you would constantly see the messages "This website works best with XXX browser" ? The last thing we need is yet another charger network which "works best" for only one model of car.

IMO at this point in time the RAN *should* be open to everyone so that Rivian can get as much experience as possible running a network that works for everybody. (If they restricted the RAN to only Rivians then they would also have the problem that there are not that many Rivians yet, so the chargers wouldn't get as much traffic.) They *should* be doing this in the early stages, *before* they build out the network with thousands of additional chargers. Get it right first, with a small number of chargers, *then* ramp up the installations. Then they can turn on for-profit charging for non-Rivians, once they know their chargers will work for all vehicle types. It would be way too expensive to go back and "fix" the chargers if they deployed them all first and only after found out about problems charging non-Rivians.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just the opposite IMO. If you don't design and aggressively test for interoperability, then your network will break when you open it up. That's what we're going to see with Tesla if they ever open up their supercharger network - and perhaps they're aware of that which is why they haven't opened it up.

Remember the bad old days when you would constantly see the messages "This website works best with XXX browser" ? The last thing we need is yet another charger network which "works best" for only one model of car.

IMO at this point in time the RAN *should* be open to everyone so that Rivian can get as much experience as possible running a network that works for everybody. (If they restricted the RAN to only Rivians then they would also have the problem that there are not that many Rivians yet, so the chargers wouldn't get as much traffic.) They *should* be doing this in the early stages, *before* they build out the network with thousands of additional chargers. Get it right first, with a small number of chargers, *then* ramp up the installations. Then they can turn on for-profit charging for non-Rivians, once they know their chargers will work for all vehicle types. It would be way too expensive to go back and "fix" the chargers if they deployed them all first and only after found out about problems charging non-Rivians.
Yeah, I disagree. Make sure you work the kinks out first in a more controlled environment, and them start stress testing the other variables. Crawl before you walk. I'm sure Rivian doesn't want the bad press of every Volvo not working with their chargers because Volvo didn't test their vehicles with Rivian. It also kind of requires Rivian to open up a testing facility for compatibility like EA and EVGO have.

The problems (assuming the work for the truck) should be ccs "standard" related because each manufacturer seems to implent it a bit differently. It the hardware sucks, it sucks. Which I kind of doubt.

I also suspect this is part of the reason they have been built out the CA network exclusively (other than CA) first. Let's them manage it closer to HQ with more rivian employees.

Just different philosophies to learning and testing.

Reactions: VSG

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If that is true, the the charging hardware is different between the T and S.
That doesn’t make sense. different lengths of the same sausage and all that

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That doesn’t make sense. different lengths of the same sausage and all that
I completely agree with you. There is no way Rivian is using different systems. Heck, I would bet that there is no difference in any of the charging system components.
Sponsored