Sponsored

R1 Refresh announcement soon?

TxTech27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Cost cutting also doesn’t mean there’s not a refresh, especially if its components coming from the R2/R3 such as the steering wheel. These are all things that would streamline production in the future and increase purchasing efficiency from a parts standpoint while also provide a refresh.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Electric-Vehicles.com - Rivian Employee Reveals Updates After Factory Upgrade in April

"Rivian‘s plant in Illinois has been temporarily closed since April 5 amid the implementation of new technologies and production methods aimed at substantial cost reduction. The factory will re-open tomorrow, the first of May, and an employee working at the plant has shared what we can expect after the upgrade.

According to the employee, there won’t be any visible changes to Rivian’s revamped versions of the R1T and R1S as most changes will be “in the performance and efficiency of the motors and batteries”.

The employee revealed that Rivian is streamlining production processes by eliminating wiring connectors and harnesses and introducing new build processes. These changes are expected to save time and weight, making manufacturing more efficient.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Electric-Vehicles.com - Rivian Employee Reveals Updates After Factory Upgrade in April

"Rivian‘s plant in Illinois has been temporarily closed since April 5 amid the implementation of new technologies and production methods aimed at substantial cost reduction. The factory will re-open tomorrow, the first of May, and an employee working at the plant has shared what we can expect after the upgrade.

According to the employee, there won’t be any visible changes to Rivian’s revamped versions of the R1T and R1S as most changes will be “in the performance and efficiency of the motors and batteries”.

The employee revealed that Rivian is streamlining production processes by eliminating wiring connectors and harnesses and introducing new build processes. These changes are expected to save time and weight, making manufacturing more efficient.
Geez, I’d been hoping they’d revamp the steering wheel! Oh well.

Still, motor and battery improvements would be pretty sweet.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Changing the wireless charging mat does not constitute a refresh and will be available (when out) to existing vehicles. I would be surprised by the steering wheel that was shown less than two months ago - the software is not out yet to take advantage of that. I would expect it in R1 closer to when R2 comes out.

Sponsored

Hayseed_MS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S

Who is this employee and what is his position? Is this person at a vantage to see and dictate what is going on? Did the magazine just keep asking employees until one would answer?

Generally, the smart ones in the know keep their mouths shut until it is official.

I do think there are improvements to the vehicle that were not mentioned by this employee but the bigger (more noticeable) changes will not be until later this year.

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Long time reader of this forum, first time posting. This is defiantly news I'm waiting on and have been since about January when we decided we would pursue an R1S. I'm very surprised they didn't announce anything during the shut down to gain momentum and cash (orders). The only reason I can logically think to not was due to a huge supply of inventory that they need to sell off, as once the refresh happens any existing inventory becomes immediately de-valued due to further price reduction. This is why we saw the lease deals, Stealth wraps, earth day promos.

I wouldn't expect much on the Q1 call, as that will be focused on the Q1 numbers, financial and sales. Often investor calls touch on upcoming and total FY guidance, but don't give product announcements.

At this point I have to imagine it's any day, as once the plant is back on line they need orders to start making, unless they need to focus on making the EDV for Amazon and other companies who have orders. 🤷‍♂️

I'm checking almost daily for the updates and if they are what I'm hoping for I'll be finally placing my order!
the refresh is going to be primarily be changes on the manufacturing side to improve efficiency and costs. You likely won’t notice any changes to the vehicle itself so current inventory isn’t going to be devalued. To drivers/owners there will be no difference.

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I seem to be the only one who prefers the current R1 wheel. I have zero interest in oversized scroll wheels. They look like they'll take more thumb stretching/movement to use.
They don’t - that’s not how it works. Regardless, the new wheel isn’t going in the R1 anytime soon. It requires an entirely new software upgrade to interact with which is a long time coming most likely.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I seem to be the only one who prefers the current R1 wheel. I have zero interest in oversized scroll wheels. They look like they'll take more thumb stretching/movement to use.
Not just you....I like the current controls too.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I like the current wheel. The new wheel looks futuristic, but I'm questioning the practical & functional ergonomics of such large scroll wheels. If the larger size is so great, why haven't we seen that on mice, video game controllers, other vehicles, etc?

"I NEED one of these" said nobody, ever:
Rivian R1T R1S R1 Refresh announcement soon? 1714573291874-9b

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It would be great if they
I like the current wheel. The new wheel looks futuristic, but I'm questioning the practical & functional ergonomics of such large scroll wheels. If the larger size is so great, why haven't we seen that on mice, video game controllers, other vehicles, etc?

"I NEED one of these" said nobody, ever:
1714573291874-9b.png
People like MKHB who have interacted with it and have a good understanding of the tech and car landscape have said it's an awesome system and will be a gamechanger. Kyle specifically said that everyone is going to want to try and copy it.

I trust their judgement on this one.

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The new wheel introduced with the R2 looks great. Haptic feedback with dynamic scrolling look like it should be a big improvement to the current steering wheel controls.

TxTech27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
They don’t - that’s not how it works. Regardless, the new wheel isn’t going in the R1 anytime soon. It requires an entirely new software upgrade to interact with which is a long time coming most likely.
Not necessarily, didn’t Rivian say that the R2 software was coming to the R1 by the end of the year? It’s not that far off.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Imagine if the only visible thing the R1 refresh included was a better nipple design on the rear backup light lens. 😂

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Not necessarily, didn’t Rivian say that the R2 software was coming to the R1 by the end of the year? It’s not that far off.
They’ve said the UI styling will be applied across the entire line - but they won’t split the software such that one generation of R1s requires one set in order to function with the old wheel and then newer R1s require different software and modules to function with the newer R2 wheel. Perhaps years down the line? Sure, but the R2 wheel isn’t coming to the R1 anytime soon.

And I haven’t seen anything about the new UI coming by the end of the year. Thats great if they have - but given the number of additional software features that have been confirmed without giving any timeline I highly doubt they’ve publicly set a date for when the UI refresh is coming.
Sponsored