Sponsored

R1S delivery happening today (to employee)

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Honestly, Brian probably didn't know when he would be getting his until a couple weeks ago and here we are, every single one of us demanding precise delivery dates 6 months out! šŸ¤£

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I'd like to understand how the employee-owned vehicles will improve the quality of vehicles for the rest of us.

Is the goal simply to give the factory some practice manufacturing these vehicles? Or is there a system whereby employees can rapidly communicate quality issues to engineers, or the factory floor, or Rivian's suppliers? Is there a system whereby Rivian's analysts and engineers can rapidly interrogate all employee-owners to determine how common or rare a reported issue is? If there are such systems, how are service centers involved in communications?

Or are the employee deliveries really just perks that are being marketed as a quality improvement program?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Or are the employee deliveries really just perks that are being marketed as a quality improvement program?
Based on the issues we have seen around here I personally think "THIS" is the reality of the program, its a PERK not for improving quality.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd like to understand how the employee-owned vehicles will improve the quality of vehicles for the rest of us.

Is the goal simply to give the factory some practice manufacturing these vehicles? Or is there a system whereby employees can rapidly communicate quality issues to engineers, or the factory floor, or Rivian's suppliers? Is there a system whereby Rivian's analysts and engineers can rapidly interrogate all employee-owners to determine how common or rare a reported issue is? If there are such systems, how are service centers involved in communications?

All of the above?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised if there were obvious defects in the first few models that are produced that have been worked on to be repaired, potentially in a way that the average consumer wouldn't be okay with, or that could require the vehicle going in for service more days than being driven.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised if there were obvious defects in the first few models that are produced that have been worked on to be repaired, potentially in a way that the average consumer wouldn't be okay with, or that could require the vehicle going in for service more days than being driven.

IDK man, delivering a car with tiger stripes, batteries that have High Voltage warnings at delivery and under body shielding that fall off during driving isn't the best example of "Doing employee deliveries first because they want to work out quality control" lol.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

IDK man, delivering a car with tiger stripes, batteries that have High Voltage warnings at delivery and under body shielding that fall off during driving isn't the best example of "Doing employee deliveries first because they want to work out quality control" lol.
They just ran out of employees that were willing to buy the cars with defects. We're not there with the R1S yet.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

I can answer this with an example you may relate to. Grain augers!

I worked for a company that made big red grain augers(and some blue ones), first builds would go to employees and/or hand picked customers for extended testing. Warts and all.

it is a quality improvement/test program disguised as a perk.

Sponsored

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I can answer this with an example you may relate to. Grain augers!

I worked for a company that made big red grain augers(and some blue ones), first builds would go to employees and/or hand picked customers for extended testing. Warts and all.

it is a quality improvement/test program disguised as a perk.
Just curious... what's the delivery time on grain augers? Do they come with 20" all-terrain tires and ocean coast interior?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Just curious... what's the delivery time on grain augers? Do they come with 20" all-terrain tires and ocean coast interior?
The answer is yes.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
It's possible there were even worse issues initially that were caught. We'll never know.

My company does internal betas of devices before we sell them to customers. We do find a lot of issues. But the problem is that the population of testers is small in comparison to the customer base so we don't find some issues until it gets out to public release. And then we have to do OTA updates.

AFA7886

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I picked up my R1T this past Wednesday after some work that needed to be done and the service guy told me they got their first R1S (Forest Green) that they were prepping for delivery. He seemed pretty jazzed about it. This is the Costa Mesa SC in SoCal BTW. Didnā€™t ask if it was for an employee or not. Asked to see it (already knowing what the answer would be) and he told me it was in the back getting prepped so I couldnā€™t. If it was in the lot Iā€™m thinking he wouldā€™ve let me check it out from the outside at least.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I picked up my R1T this past Wednesday after some work that needed to be done and the service guy told me they got their first R1S (Forest Green) that they were prepping for delivery. He seemed pretty jazzed about it. This is the Costa Mesa SC in SoCal BTW. Didnā€™t ask if it was for an employee or not. Asked to see it (already knowing what the answer would be) and he told me it was in the back getting prepped so I couldnā€™t. If it was in the lot Iā€™m thinking he wouldā€™ve let me check it out from the outside at least.
I went by there today hoping there might be one on the lot but nothing I could see.

This was the lightest I have seen that in a long time, there were 4 R1Ts in the front and 3 on the side, no clue about the back or inside but the last few times I went by before this there were 24+ vehicles I could see.
Sponsored