KingTodd

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Okay. Just had my intro call with my new guide and got pretty much the exact same script:

1) Confirmed my contact info
2) Confirmed my config and that I was currently still estimated as a "2024" delivery
3) Told me that the "confirm your configuration" email was largely for Rivian to better schedule build plans and that I should not necessarily expect to take delivery sooner than sometime in 2024.

That said, a few extra tidbits she offered:

1) She said it's certainly possible (obviously very non-committal) that my delivery date moves-up earlier. She said she didn't see anything in my config that she would consider a 'warning light' for delayed delivery - even LA Silver (although she did acknowledge that she didn't have any insight into build/batch plans or volume targets for different config options). She may have only been looking at obvious things (max pack, etc.), but she said that she believed all of my config options were in 'full production' and didn't have any red flags.

2) She did say that LE were being prioritized over ADV packages, so that might be something that's pushed me out (side note: I stupidly thought putting my deposit down locked me into LE and therefore waited absurdly long to configure my vehicle - by the time I got around to it, the LE offer was gone), but that she expected ADV packages to start this year vs. next year (again, not new info).

3) When I asked about access to the R1 Shop, she said that the R1S Shop hasn't opened yet, which made me think the R1T and R1S would have different shops vs. a unified R1T/R1S Shop (I should've clarified, but didn't think of it until after our call). This wouldn't really be a surprise either.

4) She said the R1S Shop would generally prioritize earlier order holders, but didn't give any timeline on when the R1S Shop would open, nor any expected dates of who would be considered 'early' for the first wave(s). Given that it sounds like mostly 2020 pre-order holders and earlier (2018 & 2019 included) were the ones who received the 1/6 "confirm your config" email, it might be logical to speculate that it'd be the same for R1S Shop access. There have been previous communications that Rivian was planning to offer much wider access to the R1 Shop.

5) Finally, she confirmed that she expected refreshed delivery estimates to come-out at the end of the month vs. any earlier. Again, no surprise here.

I realize there aren't any major news flashes here, but like you, @KingTodd, I left my call feeling a tiny bit hopeful that my delivery estimate might move up from 2024. With Rivian, being optimistic is risky, but given the above info along with her general tone, I am not closing the door to getting my R1S in 2023 (even if it's very late in the year).

Hope that helps. Anyone else who is getting more info, feel free to pile-on. This is probably not only LA Silver R1S-centric, but all R1S configurations.
Great summary, thanks for sharing.

Is your guide named, Ruby? If so, maybe that is why we get such similar info, but if not, it makes a little more hopeful of a move up into 2023 since that would make 2 guides that sounded optimistic.

Mine also said that there was nothing in my config that set off alarms, so I guess OC is not an issue.

Anyone else with info, please share it. It is going to be a long time until the end of January now.
Sponsored

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

01/20 res for R1S LA Silver, Adventure, 20 inch, OC with a delivery window of 2024. Just got a guide and the intro call so will see if that moves me up? Thx, JB

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
Great summary, thanks for sharing.

Is your guide named, Ruby? If so, maybe that is why we get such similar info, but if not, it makes a little more hopeful of a move up into 2023 since that would make 2 guides that sounded optimistic.

Mine also said that there was nothing in my config that set off alarms, so I guess OC is not an issue.
You bet. This forum and my first mile drives are pretty much all that has kept me going with Rivian. Contributing to the community’s knowledge makes me feel like I’m giving back.

My guide’s name is Susan, so you can feel a little better that indeed TWO guides expressed optimism!

And, for what it’s worth, I felt like my guide was well-informed, willing to listen at length, and pretty clear about what could and couldn’t be committed to. She was both professional and sympathetic with the situation. I know that sometimes these positions can be hit or miss, and I felt like I got a good one. Phew.

Last edited:

Bradyb23

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
102K 2014 Highlander; former Tesla Model 3 lessor
Does anyone have any experience with the delivery estimate impact of choosing the 20" All Terrain wheels versus the 20" All Terrain Dark wheels? I like them both, and would probably choose based on the estimated delivery date impact. I chatted with Rivian just now and they said they had no visibility into delivery date impact so I should just choose the ones I like best, but I thought I'd check here first, just in case anyone had any experience they could share. I can make any changes until 11:59 pm 1/15/23 and still get my updated date the end of this month. After that, my estimated delivery won't be updated until April. Thanks!

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I am tempted to pick one of the cheaper colors to "buy" an earlier window, which I think it's the game Rivian trying to play.

GR
Originally there were at least a couple of no-extra-cost colors, but now it apparently it's only the LA Silver. And there appears to be a bottleneck with the LA Silver. I just got access to the Rivian Shop (R1T) - no LA Silver there. You may be right about the "game."

Last edited:

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
I’ve been tracking the auction sites (Cars & Bids, eBay) and car resale sites (Auto Trader, Cars.com, CarGurus.com) and even though you can find dozens of R1Ss, I’ve yet to find an LA Silver one. According to Rivian Stories Tracker, about 7.5% of their sample (about 1000 preorders for R1S) are configured with LA Silver. Therefore I would’ve expected to see at least a handful of LAS R1Ss for resale, so the fact that I haven’t would tend to confirm the suspicion that this particular color has low priority…

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Our First Drive yesterday was an LA Silver R1S and saw 2 more at the SC. So they’re out there. Out of the 10+ R1S at the SC majority were LG, 1 Limestone, couple MB, couple white, 1 FG, 1 CY, 2 LAS, 1 ECG. No RC or RB but there were a ton of RB R1T.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S LA Silver new delivery estimates 9260F4D5-FE0A-41CE-9EA1-034A95D74896

Last edited:

Tzadik_nistar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser & 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Finance
Our First Drive yesterday was an LA Silver R1S and saw 2 more at the SC. So they’re out there. Out of the 10+ R1S at the SC majority were LG, 1 Limestone, couple MB, couple white, 1 FG, 1 CY, 2 LAS, 1 GM. No RC or RB but there were a ton of RB R1T.
9260F4D5-FE0A-41CE-9EA1-034A95D74896.jpeg
Were you able to tell if he silver r1s’ were demo or customer cars

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Our First Drive yesterday was an LA Silver R1S and saw 2 more at the SC. So they’re out there. Out of the 10+ R1S at the SC majority were LG, 1 Limestone, couple MB, couple white, 1 FG, 1 CY, 2 LAS, 1 GM. No RC or RB but there were a ton of RB R1T.
9260F4D5-FE0A-41CE-9EA1-034A95D74896.jpeg
What’s GM? Did you mean El Cap Granite?

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

What’s GM? Did you mean El Cap Granite?
No, it’s a new color…

or I was just typing to fast…post edited

Sponsored

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

01/20 res for R1S LA Silver, Adventure, 20 inch, OC with a delivery window of 2024. Just got a guide and the intro call so will see if that moves me up? Thx, JB
How did you get a guide if your delivery is a year plus away?

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
How did you get a guide if your delivery is a year plus away?
Many of us did in the latest communications, but anecdotal data seems to indicate that it was sent to pre-order holders in 2020 and earlier only...

Example: Both @KingTodd and I have locked our configurations and been assigned guides and still both have "2024" delivery dates communicated. Hoping for good news at the end of the month in the planned comms refresh.

Last edited:

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

WE were surprised to get a call for a guide as our account showed 2024 for potential delivery. My take and it is only my opinion is that Rivian has been pelted with complaints for non information and huge delays and that is warranted and this year they are trying to improve that. They SHOULD do that and maybe giving a guide even when the delivery date is way out there will give a warm and fuzzy (it did with us as we git a demo ride) and help their poor reputation in that arena. They did offer us the R1S shop to get a vehicle that would happen to be there. We declined as we want what we want and after waiting so long (01/20 res) we are not going to settle for something we don’t really want. The vehicle is just too expensive to settle in our opinion. Hope that helps. JB
Sponsored