Sponsored

R1S Not Releasing Properly When Accelerating From Hold

denik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I recently started experiencing this weird issue with my R1S. This happens consistently when I'm fully stopped at a decline (downhill road), and the car is in Hold. When I lightly tap on the accelerator to release the Hold mode, I'll feel a clunk and a slight lurch a half second after. This does not happen when I'm at an incline. When I'm at a flat surface, it mostly doesn't happen, but I may hear a very slight clunk in that half second after accelerating from Hold mode. It feels like that clunk is coming from the rear. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a service appt coming up in a month, and have added it to my running list.
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

haven't noticed that specific issue but i did notice the friction brake does make more noise (creaking) when moving from a stop, in drive or reverse, on a flat surface than it used it. it used to be much smoother to where i would almost never hear the brake release.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Talk about timing :). I just posted asking about the same thing, but in my case, its mainly when I start the drive and seems to be OK later. The "clunk" feels like the parking brakes are disengaging but I am also coming off Hold. I wonder if the new SW update has something to do with this? I figured it was more a factor of the weather and moisture but who knows...

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I recently started experiencing this weird issue with my R1S. This happens consistently when I'm fully stopped at a decline (downhill road), and the car is in Hold. When I lightly tap on the accelerator to release the Hold mode, I'll feel a clunk and a slight lurch a half second after. This does not happen when I'm at an incline. When I'm at a flat surface, it mostly doesn't happen, but I may hear a very slight clunk in that half second after accelerating from Hold mode. It feels like that clunk is coming from the rear. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a service appt coming up in a month, and have added it to my running list.
This weekend I had an issue of HORRIBLE squealing on release with the new blended braking on - I suspect the drivers side front caliper was not releasing correctly and was holding the pad just right, slightly against the rotor, but holy hell was it an AWFUL sound. I was able to start/stop and manually jam on the brake pedal 2-3 times and that seemed to have "reset" it - I then turned off the new blended braking and had no further issues with LOTS of stop/start driving after that.

So yeah, there seems to be some issues with it. I also noticed the "lurch" on release some are mentioning - so I suspect it's related,

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
I’ve also noticed this recently on my R1T, so interested in hearing what your service center says.

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I've noticed some strange new behavior since the 50.1 update as well. When in drive, and stopped, and the vehicle is in Hold, I've noticed the same behavior as the OP, but in addition, I've felt some jerkiness in the accelerator pedal when very slowly modulating it forward, just past the dead zone and when it finally engages the motors it can jerk forward a little and if I'm very very careful with my foot, it'll do it over and over again until I press down more on the pedal and get going. It's really annoying. It used to be smooth.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

haven't noticed that specific issue but i did notice the friction brake does make more noise (creaking) when moving from a stop, in drive or reverse, on a flat surface than it used it. it used to be much smoother to where i would almost never hear the brake release.
another thing i noticed today is that going uphill or downhill the vehicle at very low speeds causes the friction brake to engage in a weird way causing creaking. i think this is a result of the software 2024.3 trying allow the vehicle to "coast" (roll) more.

the blended braking between friction and regen is wonky. Rivian tried to tweak something that was fine and now its not smooth at all.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
the blended braking between friction and regen is wonky. Rivian tried to tweak something that was fine and now its not smooth at all.
While I agree with you, there were a good number of people posting here that the regen only braking was not fine at all. I suspect that with feedback over the next few months, blended will improve, just like suspension tuning, etc. has been progressively improving.
Sponsored