R1S Pre-order complete

Daedalus

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Acura MDX - R1S Preorder
Finally decided to order the R1S and hope that the upcoming reviews are good.
All RJ has to do now is to deliver his cars (with better than 300miles of range) as promised with no further delays.
When do you guys think media embargoes and (professional) reviews will be out ?
Sponsored

jcook01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Our R1S preorder has been in awhile but not holding my breath on adequate towing range in 2022 after reading comments to the contrary on the big battery won't fit.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Our R1S preorder has been in awhile but not holding my breath on adequate towing range in 2022 after reading comments to the contrary on the big battery won't fit.
What comments? If the R1S doesn't get the 180 kWh battery, I would most likely cancel and just continue with my Cybertruck order.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What comments? If the R1S doesn't get the 180 kWh battery, I would most likely cancel and just continue with my Cybertruck order.
So far Rivian has announced a 400 mile R1T and now they only make reference to a “longer range R1S” being available later. This has led some to speculate that the extra row of seating in the R1S may limit the battery capacity of the vehicle. Perhaps Rivian made a choice to prioritize all R1S trucks having a seven seat option, instead of limiting that to only the lower range models. We really don’t know everything yet, so take all of this with a grain of salt. They could just as easily offer multiple longer range R1S vehicles (i.e. 5-seat/400+ mile, 7-seat/375+ Mile).

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
There are several things we know for a fact: (and many things that are conjecture)

Originally the R1S was to be offered in two variants (well three but very few people talk about the 105kWh pack anymore).
They were going to offer the 135kWh Pack (Now known as the Large Pack) @300+ miles with seating for 5 or 7 passengers.
They were going to offer thee 180kWh Pack (Now known as the Max Pack) @400+ miles with seating for 5 only. This is because the extra battery packs took up space in the footwells for the 3rd row passengers.

In November on 2020, Just before the configuration tool went live, Rivian sent an email where they changed the verbiage from a numerical value to the (large pack/max pack) we now have. They also announced that at launch there would not be a Max Pack R1S. The exact verbiage below was that a longer range R1S with both 5 and 7 passenger seating would be announced following the start of production.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Pre-order complete RivianBatteryAnnouncement

This leads to the conjecture - Since Rivian stated "a longer range R1S" it means that it might not match the 400+ mile range originally announced. Why not just say a Max Pack R1S will be announced later.... (reading between the lines - is that it won't be a Full Max Pack)

Also the wording makes it seem like they want to get as much battery in while keeping 7 seats as an option which means they have to redesign something to move the extra batteries out of the 3rd row footwells. This is (again conjecture but it makes sense) the reason it isn't even announced yet... there is some level of redesign going in to squeeze some extra battery somewhere in the R1S that still allows for 7 seats.

Finally - on top of all that they are trying to get the vehicles that are "still" announced ready for production. I for one am a little curious how much work is actually going into that perceived redesign of the "Larger Pack R1S" My fear is that it will be pushed out further than originally anticipated. In fact I worry that it may become an R2S thing... (all pure conjecture)

Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
The cyber truck will also probably lose half its range when towing too as any vehicle does, but maybe they'll do a better job of getting higher range before that division by 2. It feels like even tesla has to do more design work on them, and we'll see if the delay is they are waiting for their new battery technology to get mature and mass producible.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
The cyber truck will also probably lose half its range when towing too as any vehicle does, but maybe they'll do a better job of getting higher range before that division by 2. It feels like even tesla has to do more design work on them, and we'll see if the delay is they are waiting for their new battery technology to get mature and mass producible.
If the Model X is any indication Tesla has a lot of work to do on towing if they have a magic sauce. TFL did some tests and it was doing 900 wh/mi compared to about 320wh/mi without a trailer. That was with a small trailer too.

Though I'd argue they may have been going to fast. It's been a beat since I towed but depending on how close you were to max weight there were speed restrictions if you read the fine print even in F450s.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
It's one thing to wait for a new vehicle, but quite another to wait for any detailed information other than the red meat tidbits thrown about.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

It's one thing to wait for a new vehicle, but quite another to wait for any detailed information other than the red meat tidbits thrown about.
I am a strong supporter of Rivian but the saying “Where’s the Beef” is what I am thinking when I read all the recent media hype.

When I chatted with CS on 9/27 regarding delivery they said when we get closer to the end of September they will have enough production data to start making estimates. I reminded them that it was already the end of September. There was no reply.

I am particularly frustrated with Rivian keeping the number of pre orders a secret. Why are they doing that?

Sponsored

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
What would they gain by releasing that info?
They'd gain the fun and excitement of getting to read all kinds of forum posts about how there are "so many preorders it will take forever to get one" or "there's hardly any preorders compared to the Cybertruck/F150 Lightning/<insert loose competitor here> so therefore Rivian is doomed to fail", etc.

Can't imagine why Rivian wouldn't disclose this information. ?

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am particularly frustrated with Rivian keeping the number of pre orders a secret. Why are they doing that?
At the latest, it'll be released when their IPO paperwork is made public in a month or so. My guess is that what ever was in their initial filing will be updated prior to that with the latest numbers. Would be interesting to see if they segrigate the number of pre orders (rumored to be 40,000) prior to this press event with the orders that come after; Wall Street would eat that data up. My assumption is that the people that knew of rivian before hand where limited and this should raise their profile and lead to additional potential customers and eventually orders.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

What would they gain by releasing that info?
What would they loose by releasing it?

The number of pre orders would provide a better idea of where you are in line. From that information you can better guess when you might get a call from a guide.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

This review from Colorado event states Rivian has 40k preorders which it expects to fulfill by end of 2022.
In my opinion, full review is worth watching but link is timestamped to this particular point.

I wonder where the reviewer got the 40,000 pre order number? I would like to believe he got it from Rivian but ………

Good review, makes the waiting a bit harder.
Sponsored