Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'd say that number was achieved for the R1S due to their pretty amazing lease offering in Q1. Was considering several other EV's before I decided to go with the Rivian due to their lease-MSRP rate of 1.05%. Even convinced 2 other family members to do the same in March. Keeping the lease rates where they're at will continue to help them generate sales.
It’s not like the same leases aren’t available on the R1T.

fbkr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'd say that number was achieved for the R1S due to their pretty amazing lease offering in Q1. Was considering several other EV's before I decided to go with the Rivian due to their lease-MSRP rate of 1.05%. Even convinced 2 other family members to do the same in March. Keeping the lease rates where they're at will continue to help them generate sales.
Agreed, it's amazing how attractive the R1S lease rates are. What was your residual?

For the same amount of money down ($7.5k) and annual mileage of 10k, a $78k Model X costs $1,150/mo. to lease for 36 months vs. $700/mo. for a comparably priced R1S.

Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite Rivian down the line, but it really is a great deal.

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Pick-up truck types know Ford. So there is that advantage.
Ford has a number of things working for them.

First off, they have a nationwide network of dealers. Rivian is in many major metro areas, but a huge part of America is nowhere near a service center.

There’s also a subset of the population that walks into a Ford dealership with no intention of buying an EV, but they somehow walk off the lot with a Mach-E or a Lightning. Car salesmen are sneaky that way.

Ford and the dealers have also been heavily discounting the Lightning’s beyond what Rivian is willing to do.

The numbers are interesting, but I don’t read into them too much.

Here’s what will be interesting.

To run the Normal R2 line at full capacity, Rivian needs to sell 16x as many R2’s as Ford is selling Mach-E’s.

Yet they only need to sell 40% as many R2’s as Tesla sells Model Y’s.

I think some of the winners and losers in the EV market will be very clear by the end of 2026. Any company that isn’t operating at a run-rate in the hundreds-of-thousands globally is probably toast.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We are pick-up truck people and the R1T works for us. Granted, SUV's have a larger market appeal than pick-ups. Rivian originally wanted to be recognized as an "adventure vehicle" company and introduced the R1T first with that in mind. If they had stuck with the original Explore Version that priced out at $65,000, they may have done better at the outset. The Explore Version was sans the motorized tonneau cover, camp speaker, and high end sound system. None of these items added to their "adventure vehicle" persona, plus none of them worked well.

Now Rivian has now morphed into a more "soccer mom SUV company" and is planning to head further down this road with the new R2. I just hope that they continue to produce the R1T if even in a stripped down version with all of the performance but none of the bling. If Rivian discontinues the R1T they will have totally abandoned their original concept.

Brian

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

R1T doesn't have as much of a market as the R1S does. It's also an adventure truck that doesn't really have any competition in the price bracket. The Tacoma, Colorado, etc are about the same size but cheaper (though that gap is narrowing fast lol) while the F150 is a full size truck with a big bed and the capabilities that come with it. Not to mention the brand recognition.

For me, the R1T provides the best balance of performance, luxury, and capability compared to other options in the market. It's much faster and luxurious than the Taco, Colorado, etc, it's smaller and more manageable in size/more range/more power/more performance/more features than the F150, and not fugly like the Cybertruck.

For those that want a truck to use on occasion for home projects and what not, it's the best balance of a daily driver and utility vehicle money can buy.

R1S has a huge market because it appeals to nearly everyone, not just those that want a truck bed.

I don't think that Rivian is going to try and move more R1T models when they can just build more R1S instead. They still sell, just slower which is ok.
Sponsored