Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

What were they towing? Certainly not a medium size travel trailer.

1.2 MI per kwh means from 100 to 0% your getting 170mi towing with max pack. Every tenth of a percent in mi per kwh significantly reduces that. At 1 mi per kwh it's 142 ish miles.

Figure on real world only getting 70-80% of that between charging stops because your not charging to 100% and pulling up at 0.

Now, with a flat trailer I can easily get 1.6 mi per kwh. X 142 kwh usable should get about 227 mi.
Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How did they botch the range so bad on their test? I can easily do 300 miles at 70mph in my quad with all-terrains and large battery pack.

How did they only manage 260 miles with a max pack dual motor with street tires?
I am not sure about easily but I did just clock 310 miles on 131 kwh with the same configuration in conserve.
Something seriously wrong with the 260 number.

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

I’m confused that they struggled to turn off cruise control. It’s just a push up of right stalk or tap of the brakes.

I too would like a resume though.

Sponsored

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Model X vs EV9 vs R1S. That would be an interesting one, and one i'm surprised hasn't happened yet.
That’s not really a fair comparison given how hideous the EV9 looks in person and the dated nature of the X. I mean, either you’re in the market for a used X (cheap), don’t want to pay the premium for AWD (RWD EV9) or you go with the R1S.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Fair, but this only upgraded the motor. We could say max pack is also a refresh or upgrade from launch addition, but virtually all other systems and components in R1 have not been touched at least in a meaningful way from the beginning. Other OEMs had more time to leap-frog the R1T but in many eyes haven’t done so yet.
The dual CT has front and rear lockers to be enabled by OTA update. The Beast will have a rear e locker. So in that sense these tests are all premature and the CT is being manufactured with more integrated capability than the R1. Tesla also has Unplugged as a dedicated tuner. Rivian really dropped the ball in terms of understanding the need for owners to modify and make improvements to their vehicle and whatever DCE/Weistec is working on hasn’t actually been launched.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

The people that drive the CT's remind me of the 1980's "Miami Vice" wannabe' that pop their polo shirt collars, 5 o'clock shadow and listen to the theme song non-stop.

I was watching"Auto Space" (Marques Brownlee) and he was talking about his CT that he was testing and he mentioned that if you want a vehicle that people will stop and take pictures and ogle over, then the CT is for you. It is nothing more than a novelty in my eyes.

He compared what it does and what it doesn't do....and the "doesn't do" list was longer than the "does do".

1. There is no place for a full-size spare
2. It is a fingerprint magnet
3. The frunk is small
4. Watch your fingers or you will get hurt
5. When the tonneau cover is closed, you really can't use it as a truck

What he did like
1. The fact that it has a 14-50 NEMA outlet in the back
2. 800v architecture
3. Infotainment system

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

How did they botch the range so bad on their test? I can easily do 300 miles at 70mph in my quad with all-terrains and large battery pack.

How did they only manage 260 miles with a max pack dual motor with street tires?
Are you at 100%?. I drive the R1T, QUAD, Large Battery and I charge to 90% and I get 290ish. I try to keep it at 70, but I vary between 70 & 75 and if I stay at the ~75 speed, I get about 240 miles....which is perfect for my commute. I also get to charge for free at work all day, so I can charge up again.

When We are at 100% charge and kick it into Conserve, we get 349 miles.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Are you at 100%?. I drive the R1T, QUAD, Large Battery and I charge to 90% and I get 290ish. I try to keep it at 70, but I vary between 70 & 75 and if I stay at the ~75 speed, I get about 240 miles....which is perfect for my commute. I also get to charge for free at work all day, so I can charge up again.

Yea I mean my total 100% range in conserve. I usually average about 2.4 miles/kw in conserve at 70mph which adds up to about 310 miles with a 130kwh battery

Sponsored

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It really depends on a lot of factors, so us comparing each other's experiences won't be apples to apples. I typically get just over 300 miles of use at 100% charge in All Purpose (standard height) at 70mph on 21's but I live in a relatively flat area (elevation min/max is 500-990ft according to truck gps). In conserve it is closer to 350 usable, but I haven't stretched it that far recently.

I do not understand how they only managed 260 in the DM.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
That’s not really a fair comparison given how hideous the EV9 looks in person and the dated nature of the X. I mean, either you’re in the market for a used X (cheap), don’t want to pay the premium for AWD (RWD EV9) or you go with the R1S.
I don't think the EV9 looks thaaat bad. I've seen a few in person. Also they start at like $63k for the dual motor? R1S starts at $75k for standard range dual motor (not even shipping yet). If you want an R1S TODAY, minimum $85k. And on top of that, the EV9s are being discounted by $3-$5k from what i've seen. So that's still a reasonable price gap if someone wanted to save some money. The X i think still gives you the most performance to $ value and has the most spacious legroom for passengers. But it's dated like you said, and those doors cause more problems than they solve...anyway, i think it would be an interesting shoot out. And most likely an R1S might win in that comparo! Wouldn't hurt to put another win under our belt :CWL:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Interesting note about the Cybertruck tires:
"dramatically shallower tread depth: 9/32 versus 14/32 of an inch"​

Apparently this isn't exactly uncommon as Motortrend recently called out Toyota for downgraded versions of the Wildpeak A/T3W.
"The OE version of the A/T3W comes with only 10/32" of tread depth, whereas the aftermarket version of both the A/T3W and the A/T4W both feature 18/32". "​

This plus the spot-on verdict explains all the videos of Cybertruck fails:
I thought it was funny they called them “cosplay AT wheels”.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

What were they towing? Certainly not a medium size travel trailer.

1.2 MI per kwh means from 100 to 0% your getting 170mi towing with max pack. Every tenth of a percent in mi per kwh significantly reduces that. At 1 mi per kwh it's 142 ish miles.

Figure on real world only getting 70-80% of that between charging stops because your not charging to 100% and pulling up at 0.

Now, with a flat trailer I can easily get 1.6 mi per kwh. X 142 kwh usable should get about 227 mi.
I’ve measured 1.6-1.7 mi/kwh with our travel trailer and the truck estimates 200 miles range (large pack, 21” wheels). True that you don’t want to stretch that far so realistically 160-180 mi or 200mi with the max pack should be doable if you choose your trailer well. They also towed a really low profile single axle trailer. But yes, that result is very much trailer dependent so ymmv.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The dual CT has front and rear lockers to be enabled by OTA update. The Beast will have a rear e locker. So in that sense these tests are all premature and the CT is being manufactured with more integrated capability than the R1. Tesla also has Unplugged as a dedicated tuner. Rivian really dropped the ball in terms of understanding the need for owners to modify and make improvements to their vehicle and whatever DCE/Weistec is working on hasn’t actually been launched.
I've had the same complaints about people posting reviews about the Fisker Ocean with old software. You're never going to win the argument when it's hardware the vehicle has that is behind on software.

But I still don't think it's excusable for Tesla at all to have released unfinished product when so many people consider them the leader in the EV space.

IMO there's not the same kind of room for aftermarket suspension stuff in the Rivian because it's already so good at what it does.
Sponsored