Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I wonder if this is a follow up to a digital launch? Seems odd to have an official first look in an uncontrolled public environment, but maybe this is how things are done now that car shows and traditional events are kind of dead. It's much better and more customer friendly than launching at Pebble Beach, that's for sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I wonder if this is a follow up to a digital launch? Seems odd to have an official first look in an uncontrolled public environment, but maybe this is how things are done now that car shows and traditional events are kind of dead. It's much better and more customer friendly than launching at Pebble Beach, that's for sure.
They did a launch for the R1 at the LA Observatory in 2018 and this was immediately followed by a booth at the LA Auto Show. The public display would be the functional equivalent to a booth at the auto show I guess.

I'm guessing some journalists and youtubers will have early access to the R2 and that it will be embargoed until after the event on March 7th.

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
I just watched the video of the Laguna Beach City Council Jan 23rd meeting.. the Consent item (#6) to approve the Rivian event was pulled from the agenda (at about 52:00) ... no reason given.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

If not the R2, I’ll go for the Tesla Supercharger adapter (smile)
That is what I was thinking, but is the location they are doing it at have Tesla Superchargers? Maybe they will announce the R2T and S as well as the Tesla charging and adpaters.

I hope they altered the headlight styling.
I hope they don't. I love the headlights. It makes us stand out. It is easy to pick out a Rivian while driving.

I have thought many times when I see a Ford F150 following me that it is a Lightening.....when it passes me....it is and ICE.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
They did a launch for the R1 at the LA Observatory in 2018 and this was immediately followed by a booth at the LA Auto Show. The public display would be the functional equivalent to a booth at the auto show I guess.

I'm guessing some journalists and youtubers will have early access to the R2 and that it will be embargoed until after the event on March 7th.
Oh that's right,. Forgot about the observatory. Good call.

I wonder how early this launch is in relation to getting vehicles in the hands of journalists. I think this reveal is going to be way ahead of actual manufacturing since the factory is just getting built.

But then again, Porsche has been getting journalists in pre-production EV Macans for over a year and that's not even launching until tomorrow....

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

If I got it correct (from the press release), this is where it will be.

No Tesla chargers in sight, so I don't think it will be a Tesla Charging event.

Rivian R1T R1S R2 Product Launch at Laguna Beach on March 7th! 1706121062447

OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wonder if the outdoor space won’t be needed…
More likely that they're getting blow-back from Laguna Beach residents about using the public park for commercial activity. There's a link with a bunch of complaint emails in the agenda.

SpaceCase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3P, Model Y, Jeep YJ
Occupation
Specialty Electrical Supply
Launch Replacement Powered Tonneau Cover?

I kid, I kid.
I mean...launching R2 potentially, I'm still waiting for my PTC. I would love to have it soon. Going on month 15.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If I got it correct (from the press release), this is where it will be.

1706121062447.png
Beach volleyball to immediately follow press conference :)

OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like Teslarati and Electrek picked up the story. As per usual, there is no attribution for the original Reddit or Rivianforums threads :CWL:

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
More likely that they're getting blow-back from Laguna Beach residents about using the public park for commercial activity. There's a link with a bunch of complaint emails in the agenda.
Typical California pushback on business actually being done. A few hours and a small part of the park - Rivian has brought jobs and income to CA and this is how it is repaid?

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
yes. Per the local “Nextdoor” website. The city received hundreds of letters asking for the city to decline the event, so Rivian canceled. What a slap in the face to Rivian. Spent ~$20M restoring a dilapidated historic building at the center of Laguna Beach only for residence to complain. Apparently many residents are complaining Rivian was even allowed to develop the property to begin with. Nuts.
Rivian R1T R1S R2 Product Launch at Laguna Beach on March 7th! IMG_3509
Sponsored