Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Last edited:

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, r1t preorder, r1s preorder
It DOESN'T matter where they put it, because regardless, a bunch of entitled people are going to come out of the woodwork and start complaining it doesn't work for THEM. One day it might dawn on people that they're not the center of the universe. Have any one of you ever thought "gee, that might be the PERFECT place to put it for some people's use case?" Do you even care?

Until then, if you want one of these vehicles, get one, and be happy you have one. Splitting hairs over where they put a charge port shouldn't make or break your attitude towards the vehicle, and if it does, then go buy something else...

Yeeesh. There are so much bigger problems in this world... and yet here we are.
You are right...I did not consider curbside chargers. Regardless...having it passenger front would be a great place for tesla superchargers AND curbside.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Japanese cars have gas fill on the left side, but then they drive right hand so it's also curb side. I think Tesla had it wrong from the beginning and are proving that out with the CT that has to unhitch to charge. If Teslas switched to the other option with everyone, SC would have less issues lol.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Hooray its at the rear. This has been my biggest bug-bear with the R1 (after the manual tonneau fiasco).

Gotta say, today has been a good day for Rivian.

Sponsored

mitchelmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Kia Telluride
Too bad they don't have two connectors, one on each side. I'm sure it's cost prohibitive. However, I have been at a few chargers where I need to run the charger from the passenger side over the windshield etc. Here in Hoboken, we have Volta and ChargePoint chargers on different sides of oneway streets, and sometimes the charger is in the middle of two spots. Sometimes, it's awkwardly positioned so close to the curb where you need to open the driverside door and cannot. based on how others are parked around. Either way, having a redundant port on the opposite side would be nice for parking garages and street parking.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Personally do NOT like that flap, seems like it'll block view of the port. But would have to see how it works in person to really get a feeling of it.
Keeps the snow off the socket and handle mating area which will help prevent freezing in place.

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid S, Model X, R1S PDMM
Occupation
SE
Clubs

I do not see this as an issue to preprod vehicles. If this is such a problem they could potentially change it, but I don't believe this to be an issue in the future

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
It DOESN'T matter where they put it, because regardless, a bunch of entitled people are going to come out of the woodwork and start complaining it doesn't work for THEM. One day it might dawn on people that they're not the center of the universe. Have any one of you ever thought "gee, that might be the PERFECT place to put it for some people's use case?" Do you even care?

Until then, if you want one of these vehicles, get one, and be happy you have one. Splitting hairs over where they put a charge port shouldn't make or break your attitude towards the vehicle, and if it does, then go buy something else...

I agree with you in principle, but using a V3 SuperCharger without taking up two spaces is a big deal.

My Mach-e will take up two spaces because the charging port is on the driver front side. I am going to buy an extension cable from A2Z once they have finished testing and say it is safe. But still, most people won't buy that and then they will be hogging two spaces, because there is no choice.

If it needs to be on the passenger side for EU BS government regulations, then the front is better than the rear. And in fact, I prefer to pull in rather than back into a charging stall, if I can.

I do agree this is a rich 1st world problem, but it is a problem IMO.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
rear passenger side on all 3.

Long knife shaped panel on the R2 and a headlight on it's side shaped oval on the R3/R3x

r3x.png

r2.png
oh my, that charge port is so ugly

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

The port is in the opposite corner of the current R1 ports. That means chargers you pull nose-in to now, if you back in to with R2/R3, the cord will reach the same.

As for Tesla Supercharger, V4s will have longer cords and tend to be centered in a parking spot, so that the cord can reach both sides of a parked vehicle, even "deeper back" on the vehicle like Ford and Porsche vehicles.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Re

Remember where you are. A message Board.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
It's so it lines up with all RAN chargers. The first photo shows it hooked up to a (fake) RAN with an adapter.
Sponsored