Sponsored

Radio stayed on and drained the battery. Why?

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Good morning folks. A weird thing happened overnight and I can’t figure out if this is normal or not.
Wife and I have had our R1S for one week; we’re still very much in the educational phase. This is our first EV. Last night I drove the car, parked in the garage, got out and walked into the house. I’m using PAAK and didn’t have the fob with me.
The radio was playing a local digital radio channel, and apparently stayed on all night, taking the battery down 15-20% overnight. Now, for the entire week or so that we’ve owned the car, once I’ve walked away, the radio has turned off. I mean, I’ve only driven it maybe six times, so I don’t exactly have a huge data set here to reference against, but I’m certain this hasn’t happened before. Normal behavior up to now has been, once I walk away and it locks, everything turns off. We’ve not even used exterior camera monitoring.
Did I have something set wrong? Or is this a malfunction?
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
What firmware version are you on? It's on the "main" app screen if you scroll down. I'm still on 2023.38.0 and have not seen this.

OP
OP

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Door not closed all the way? Seat belt buckled in?
Crap. I had a bunch of stuff in the passenger seat, with that seat belt buckled. Was that the issue?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Crap. I had a bunch of stuff in the passenger seat, with that seat belt buckled. Was that the issue?
That was likely it. Several people have left car seats buckled in and it did the same thing. It keeps the vehicle awake.

The other thing to pay attention to is using PaaK with your Rivian parked nearby in the garage and your phone in the house. If that phone (or phones) stays close enough to the vehicle long enough, or it gets close often enough, it will also wake up your vehicle each time. I've not experienced this because I live in a condo and my garage is about 75 feet from my unit, but I know others have struggled with this.

OP
OP

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Yep. Truck stays awake when a seat belt is buckled.
Yeah, this is unfortunately happening a little too often it seems. There have been similar reports where the seat belt was left buckled in overnight or longer (like at a detailing shop) and the battery was drained.

IMO Rivian needs to address this. If the seat belt is buckled for more than some number of hours (4 or 6 or 8, whatever) and the vehicle has not been moved out of park, screen has not been touched, doors, not opened or closed, etc. then they should alert on the screen in case there is an occupant, and send a notification to the app that the vehicle is being powered down. In an extreme case, this might even save the life of someone who has a medical condition and is unconcious in the vehicle.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yeah, this is unfortunately happening a little too often it seems. There have been similar reports where the seat belt was left buckled in overnight or longer (like at a detailing shop) and the battery was drained.

IMO Rivian needs to address this. If the seat belt is buckled for more than some number of hours (4 or 6 or 8, whatever) and the vehicle has not been moved out of park, screen has not been touched, doors, not opened or closed, etc. then they should alert on the screen in case there is an occupant, and send a notification to the app that the vehicle is being powered down. In an extreme case, this might even save the life of someone who has a medical condition and is unconcious in the vehicle.
I agree with all but:

No powering down however unless the battery is 100% depleted or a command, only accessable on in vehicle screen, not app, is acknowledged to turn it off.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with all but:

No powering down however unless the battery is 100% depleted or a command, only accessable on in vehicle screen, not app, is acknowledged to turn it off.
Why wait until 100% depleted and risk bricking the vehicle and/or forcing it to be towed?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Why wait until 100% depleted and risk bricking the vehicle and/or forcing it to be towed?
Too many kids die in hot vehicles in this country and anything that can stop that I am all in on. I should have said that last post...sorry...

Edit...

Now that I think more about it, how do they handle the rear seat belts where most kids are at and forgotten? If they stay buckled does it stay on? If not then maybe I am wrong...may fronts are just for convenience then I agree with you...shut it off after some point before it bricks...

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Too many kids die in hot vehicles in this country and anything that can stop that I am all in on. I should have said that last post...sorry...

Edit...

Now that I think more about it, how do they handle the rear seat belts where most kids are at and forgotten? If they stay buckled does it stay on? If not then maybe I am wrong...may fronts are just for convenience then I agree with you...shut it off after some point before it bricks...
The rear seats don't do that because of car seats.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The rear seats don't do that because of car seats.
Makes sense. I wish the auto world would figure out a way to handle that bad scenario of forgotten kids in vehicles.

But it seems the front then is just for convenience to keep audio/hvac, future streaming, etc... all function when a passenger stays in vehicle. In that case, I agree....start some 10 minute or something countdown, then send a alert to app and put one on in vehicle screen, saying 2 minutes till shutdown if button not pushed to defeat.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Yep. Truck stays awake when a seat belt is buckled.
Rivian should really add a notification in the app alerting that vehicle is still on. They already do this for unlocked (maybe door open and windows down too?)
Sponsored