First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I’m at a RAN in Holbrook, AZ (behind a Taco Bell). Each charger is facing away from the R1T when you park in the stall. One must walk into the adjacent stall to view the status screen. Did the installation contractor get this backwards or do I have unusual expectations?

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Chargers Backward? IMG_0625
Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

They are built this way so you can look at the charger screen and your charge port at the same time.

Also, it is so if you park up right next to the unit, you’re not squeezed between the car and the kiosk; much like what often happens with me at EA stations.

OP
OP

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
They are built this way so you can look at the charger screen and your charge port at the same time.

Also, it is so if you park up right next to the unit, you’re not squeezed between the car and the kiosk; much like what often happens with me at EA stations.
Actually, you can’t see the charger screen if you are sitting in your vehicle, it is facing the neighboring vehicle.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I prefer it this way. Don't have to contend with the charging cable being in the way when you look at the screen.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Of course I can.
Rivian R1T R1S RAN Chargers Backward? IMG_0626

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It'll be perfect when they put the port on the other side for the R2, lol

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
what is the reason to look at the charger screen when your in the car.. just look at the info screen in the car.
What is the reason to look at the charger screen for the car next to you? Even if viewing the screen isn't necessary, it is more useful to the driver who is charging than it is to the passenger of the vehicle in the next stall. Also it is much less awkward stand between the pedestal and your car than it is to stand between the pedestal and someone else's car.

My guess is that the people running this project were poached from Tesla and forgot that Rivian puts the charger in a different location.

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I suspect the chargers were installed that way to make the stalls as wide as possible where the overall width of all stalls was capped.

I’m guessing this because of the narrowness of the distance between stalls. That looks to be narrower than what I’ve usually seen:

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Chargers Backward? IMG_6250

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Normally they are at the front of the space.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I suspect the chargers were installed that way to make the stalls as wide as possible where the overall width of all stalls was capped.

I’m guessing this because of the narrowness of the distance between stalls. That looks to be narrower than what I’ve usually seen:

IMG_6250.jpeg
But why not rotate them 180 degrees so the screen is facing the correct stall? They are just as thin when pointing the other direction.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
I think the screen (only the screen, not the station) should be rotate 90 degrees so that you're not squashed or likley to bump into car next to you. Is there a reason you didn't pull foward more? Would the cable reach around the left side as well?

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I can guess - that someone doing the planning figured there was a greater chance of the screen not being readily accessible to the person charging their truck.

The next question is why didn’t they consider how a person would potentially be blocked by someone in the stall to the left? I have to assume the decision was made based on what will always happen (being blocked by your own truck) verses something that will happen but less often (being blocked by someone in the stall to the left).
Sponsored