Range Discrepancy

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure Package
On my main screen it says I will have 31 miles upon my arrival. My destination is 105 miles away and my driver’s screen shows I have 208 miles of range. Which should leave 103 miles of range. I get it being a few miles off, but a 72 mile differential is huge. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Rivian R1T R1S Range Discrepancy IMG_9685

Rivian R1T R1S Range Discrepancy IMG_9684
Sponsored

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
The range on your dashboard is simply SOC × 3.6 (because 100% provides an EPA estimated 360 miles for your config). This represents essentially perfect driving conditions (65 MPH, flat ground, no wind, 80° outside)

The remaining mileage on your map takes weather, elevation, and speed limits into consideration. So if you're climbing at 75 MPH with a headwind, that'll report real-time efficiency loss for your trip.

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The range on your dashboard is simply SOC × 3.6 (because 100% provides an EPA estimated 360 miles for your config). This represents essentially perfect driving conditions (65 MPH, flat ground, no wind, 80° outside)

The remaining mileage on your map takes weather, elevation, and speed limits into consideration. So if you're climbing at 75 MPH with a headwind, that'll report real-time efficiency loss for your trip.
Gotcha. I’m driving through Florida so pretty much zero elevation. It’s freakin hot so I’m sure that will affect range, but seems like a pretty big hit. Thanks!

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Let us know what you ended up with and which was more accurate.

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
Gotcha. I’m driving through Florida so pretty much zero elevation. It’s freakin hot so I’m sure that will affect range, but seems like a pretty big hit. Thanks!
Heat's better for motor efficiency (making it more in-line with the EPA estimate), but the AC is probably consuming ~5 miles of range across your trip.

I do know that Rivian acquired ABRP, and I know that ABRP keeps track of your personal driving habits to establish a baseline efficiency. For example, if you regularly drive 10 MPH over the speed limit on highways, then it will estimate you'll do that for your trip (while your dash does not). Those 10 MPH extra REALLY affect range.

In my experience though, the map does tend to over-estimate your loss, and while you drive you'll probably see it jump up a mile every now and then, ending your drive with closer to 45-50 miles remaining.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The 208mi/59% is simply a "gas gauge". It tells you how full the battery is. It is not a prediction of how far you can drive. I find that showing the miles here is a little misleading - you can change it in your settings to display just %, which IMO makes it clearer. Just like battery percentage on your phone doesn't tell you when you phone will die, since it has no way of knowing whether your phone will be sitting idle in your pocket or whether you will be streaming cat videos for the next three hours.

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 208mi/59% is simply a "gas gauge". It tells you how full the battery is. It is not a prediction of how far you can drive. I find that showing the miles here is a little misleading - you can change it in your settings to display just %, which IMO makes it clearer. Just like battery percentage on your phone doesn't tell you when you phone will die, since it has no way of knowing whether your phone will be sitting idle in your pocket or whether you will be streaming cat videos for the next three hours.
😂 Those cat videos will get you every time! Great analogy.

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Heat's better for motor efficiency (making it more in-line with the EPA estimate), but the AC is probably consuming ~5 miles of range across your trip.

I do know that Rivian acquired ABRP, and I know that ABRP keeps track of your personal driving habits to establish a baseline efficiency. For example, if you regularly drive 10 MPH over the speed limit on highways, then it will estimate you'll do that for your trip (while your dash does not). Those 10 MPH extra REALLY affect range.

In my experience though, the map does tend to over-estimate your loss, and while you drive you'll probably see it jump up a mile every now and then, ending your drive with closer to 45-50 miles remaining.
Made it with 48 miles left. You nailed it! If you’ve got lotto numbers you recommend, send them my way!