Rear Wiper Blade Service

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Perhaps you have to remove the bolt?

Rivian R1T R1S Rear Wiper Blade Service PXL_20240109_052018736

Have you sourced a replacement wiper blade? It might be easier to figure out where it disconnects when you know how much is going to be replaced.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Thanks for the suggestion! I took the bolt off before posting this originally and should have share that and that’s where I stopped because it didn’t allow for any movement “off” the windshield for the arm but it does allow you to reposition the wiper (if for example it starts “drooping”). What is interesting (well I mean interesting in an very narrow way) is there seems to be a notch in the base of the arm right at the bolt that should be able to slide into space and allow the arm to lift. But it just stops after allowing the arm to rise just slightly instead of how we all think of it lifting up to allow you to easily slide on and off a new blade. What a strange thing! It’s basically the only odd thing I’ve encountered with this phenomenal rig :)

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Good call on not forcing anything.

There’s a good chanthe manual is using the term “blade” differently than one would expect. My old Mazda CX9 wanted you to pull out the rubber blade from the rear wiper without bending the arm back or messing with the whole assembly.

Replacing the rear wiper was merely replacing the rubber blade and nothing more. In the CX9, you needed to keep the metal stiffeners but those were easily move from the old rubber blade to the new one.

Edit: don’t remove any bolts.

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Thanks. Also for anyone who watches this post I will report back after the service visit on Feb 9 to provide info to everyone.

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
Just stumbled on this post as I'm in a similar predicament. I have a replacement blade, but haven't been able to figure out how to get the old one off. The front wipers were pretty simple to replace, but not this guy. I guess I'll watch this and wait for you to report back in a few weeks. If I figure it out, I'll post back.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Now that Rivian sells replacement wiper blades, you would think they would be able to explain how to install it. Still just a link to the manual that says nothing about how to install the rear blade.

At least we know what it looks like now.

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/wiper-blades?sku=PROCHEA127

Rivian R1T R1S Rear Wiper Blade Service Windshield-Wipers-B-Primary-01_zo8eko

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Now that Rivian sells replacement wiper blades, you would think they would be able to explain how to install it. Still just a link to the manual that says nothing about how to install the rear blade.

At least we know what it looks like now.

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/wiper-blades?sku=PROCHEA127

Windshield-Wipers-B-Primary-01_zo8eko.jpg
Ooo this is big! Yay! My appointment is in a couple of week so I will report back on installation process and whether this was a defect just in case people need to be on the lookout for an issue!

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Yes a lot of blades work I have Bosch on the front those were easy to replace with no issue. The rear wiper assembly is blocking my ability to lift the arm - can you possibly send a photo of your arm lifted into the air? This thread has been trying to figure out if my assembly arm is defective because it doesn’t lift enough for me to slide the blade out. Service center told me I had to make an appt to have it looked at but it seemed so weird to me because the wiper works properly just doesn’t lift up. So if you had a pic of the arm lifted would Really appreciate it!

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
Yes a lot of blades work I have Bosch on the front those were easy to replace with no issue. The rear wiper assembly is blocking my ability to lift the arm - can you possibly send a photo of your arm lifted into the air? This thread has been trying to figure out if my assembly arm is defective because it doesn’t lift enough for me to slide the blade out. Service center told me I had to make an appt to have it looked at but it seemed so weird to me because the wiper works properly just doesn’t lift up. So if you had a pic of the arm lifted would Really appreciate it!
Mine doesn't lift much either. I didn't want to pull too hard and break it, so that's why I'm 'stuck' as well. If Rivian are now selling a replacement wiper, then hopefully they'll provide some instruction for us soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I have a Feb 9 appointment so I will report back on how it was solved and if needed give everyone instructions if you subscribe to this thread on how to do it.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Looks like this design and it's possible the arm has to come off the spline shaft to rotate the blade. Would seem stupid but possible.

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
HOW TO CHANGE YOUR REAR WIPER BLADE FROM MY RIVIAN SERVICE VISIT ON FEB 9:

1. Remove the cap at the base of the wiper arm. This is a plastic fastener so just squueze and pull it off but be gentle not to break it. This will expose the locking nut.

2. Remove the locking not and unscrew it from the wiper - place aside.

3. Pull the entire arm off the glass.

4. With the whole arm in one hand quickly jerk the blade to separate it from the arm. This requires some blunt force to do. So don't be shy.

5. Replace with Rivian Rear Wiper Blade. I do not recommend using an OTC/Online substitute because of the strange shape of the interface with the arm. You can buy these rear blades from the Rivian online shop for $30.

6. Place the arm back on and ensure it aligned level, replace the locking nut to tighten (as you all know do not overtighten it), replace the base cap covering the locking nut.

If you have any trouble just reply and I can give more feedback. The Rivian service advisor agreed this is a very strange and overly complicated design. In theory you could do this without taking the whole arm off but he agreed there is a reasonable chance of damaging the glass or the arm itself when you make the hard pull. So remove the whole arm to be safe.

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
Seems like a design oversight that they didn't think about how to replace the blade while it's mounted on the vehicle. That being said, I don't think there is any reason to "jerk" it, I was able to unlatch the blade pretty easily by turning it like the above video, but there just isn't enough clearance to turn it enough and free it from the arm.

Ccomtois

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150
Occupation
Patient Rivian Pre-Order Holder
Yeah...the rear wiper design is not a good one....just spent a bunch of time trying to figure it out. This post helped. Front wipers...a piece of cake to change.
Sponsored