Rear Wiper Blade Service

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Hmmm…. Anyone know how to actually lift the rear wiper blade up and away from the glass so that the replaceable arm can be switched out? I can take the cap off exposing the locking nut and I have put it in service position on dash screen but the rear blade only lifts up slightly and I don’t want to break it (which is what I do anytime I get into the conundrums!)
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Hmmm…. Anyone know how to actually lift the rear wiper blade up and away from the glass so that the replaceable arm can be switched out? I can take the cap off exposing the locking nut and I have put it in service position on dash screen but the rear blade only lifts up slightly and I don’t want to break it (which is what I do anytime I get into the conundrums!)
page 287 for the R1S.

Rivian R1T R1S Rear Wiper Blade Service Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 5.44.38 PM

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Thanks saw that. Works for front wipers but I can’t seem to raise the rear wiper arm. It just seems to be locked in a way that doesn’t raise up? I’ve scoured internet and these forums but not seen anything related to rear wiper.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

page 287 for the R1S.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 5.44.38 PM.png
That really does nothing for the rear wiper - as it’s not tucked away when off.

Is the rear a standard J hook? I’ve never looked at it - if it is slide the assembly toward the pivot, no need to pull the blade away from the glass.

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Thanks will give that a try. It’s one of those things where it’ll either be great or a real oopsie daisy! Gulp!

Sponsored

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Well no luck it all feels very much like “this force will break something”. Such a weird thing by Rivian. No instructions, needlessly difficult, no videos. So bizarre. I’ve literally never encountered a rear wiper that didn’t just lift up to 90 degrees. Boo. :(

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Well no luck it all feels very much like “this force will break something”. Such a weird thing by Rivian. No instructions, needlessly difficult, no videos. So bizarre. I’ve literally never encountered a rear wiper that didn’t just lift up to 90 degrees. Boo. :(
My ‘21 MachE was the same as was my ‘17 Highlander and ‘12 Leaf for the rear wipers. I cannot say it’s uncommon at all. My ‘06 and ‘07 Mazdas however did fold out to 90°

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I’m cool with it but how did you get it off I try to move it and it seems quite locked. is it a sharp move toward the pivot? I guess I’ll take it to a service center and see if they can do it. Just weird it’s so tough.

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Quick Update: A laugher. You have to make a service appointment for a month out *to replace a rear wiper blade*. Not the assembly mind you. Service tech has no idea how to do it.

LOVE the Rivian but service centers are LOL poorly run. Which is what I expect from a new car company, so oh well. It should not require a one month appointment to do a 30 second wiper blade replacement.

I asked the tech: can you just show me how to detach it and I’ll just buy a replacement myself. “No. I have a series of upcoming appointments this morning.” Two of us standing alone in a completely empty service center while he talks to me for 10 minutes about it. OK FELLA. 😂

So I’ll wait a month for a service ticket. I have found something that has no written documentation and is unknown to everyone I guess.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

You have me interested now. The tech should have access to the service manual. I would ask the service center manager if they can share with you. You should be able to replace wipers yourself!

What's next, have to make service appointment to add windshield washer fluid? 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I know! It was very strange. He was such a weird guy. I thought he’d come outside and be like “this is what you do” and be done with it. He said such weird stuff like I don’t want to start it and cause a problem with the curvature of the blade housing.” I was like “You know I’m just trying to replace the blade not the wiper.” Oh well, service is genuinely peculiar but it’s to be expected! 🤷🏾‍♂️

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Yep I lift the cap just like that’s and the arm dosent budge. I am actually starting to think this a manufacturing defect because it’s absurdly stuck. Very weird.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yep I lift the cap just like that’s and the arm dosent budge. I am actually starting to think this a manufacturing defect because it’s absurdly stuck. Very weird.
Must be. Mine pulls away to a 30-degree angle or so.

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Well I should be less provocative it lifts but not up more than 10 degrees - no way to flip the blade. Anyway helpful responses from everyone - this might be an actual issue and not just me losing my mind! 🙂
Sponsored