Sponsored

Received manual tonneau cover today...YAY!!!!...oh no... damaged during shipping

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Just received my manual tonneau cover - 1st thoughts - seems very sturdy...fits well and then...will see pics. Also I do think it will provide somewhat of a water tight seal...it also looks darn good..but they have got to be able to ship these without them arriving broken..also if the idea is to put on and take off based on your use of the truck bed, I am not sure that, even though this was broken during shipping, it will withstand taking off and on numerous times, while also shoving in and out of the gear tunnel. Hope you guys have better luck. Already requested a service appointment and will keep you posted.

Rivian R1T R1S Received manual tonneau cover today...YAY!!!!...oh no... damaged during shipping TC1

Rivian R1T R1S Received manual tonneau cover today...YAY!!!!...oh no... damaged during shipping TC2

Rivian R1T R1S Received manual tonneau cover today...YAY!!!!...oh no... damaged during shipping TC3

Rivian R1T R1S Received manual tonneau cover today...YAY!!!!...oh no... damaged during shipping TC4
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The immediate issue is that there's no padding at all in the shipping box, the delicate plastic ends of the panels contact the ends of the cardboard box directly (well, actually through the carry bag which is not intended to and has no padding to protect the ends). When UPS is tossing these 45lb boxes around they're stacking them on end at some point and they break the plastic panel ends. All Rivian needs to do is use a 6" longer box and put 3" soft foam end pads in. Easy and cheap fix...

I consider myself very fortunate to have no broken ends on my cover because the shipping box was in pretty bad shape, and it had been re-taped on both ends and even the middle. It went through some rough treatment by the animals at UPS.

Last edited:

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I just received my tailgate pad the other day and the box was beat to hell and the middle of both sides was visibly open. I could literally stick my hand inside the unopened box and pull the pad out. Given it was not rigid plastic, everything was fine, but whomever is packaging these at Rivian needs to really do a better job. My other packages from UPS never arrive like this one did.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
STILL waiting for my tonneau, thought I would have it this summer, that ship has sailed, now I just hope to get it in time for ski season.

calamanderman

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Explorer Sport, Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Attorney
Still waiting. Ordered cover with my R1T and took delivery of truck 12/2022. Maybe they will learn how to ship them safely in the interim.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Iā€™m surprised shipping on these is such a slow trickle. They must be hand cut aluminum and plastic with it taking this long šŸ˜….

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just received my tailgate pad the other day and the box was beat to hell and the middle of both sides was visibly open. I could literally stick my hand inside the unopened box and pull the pad out. Given it was not rigid plastic, everything was fine, but whomever is packaging these at Rivian needs to really do a better job. My other packages from UPS never arrive like this one did.
My tailgate pad box was in good shape but the staples were obviously pulled through the box, meaning someone somewhere opened it. My R1S mat box arrived completely destroyed though.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I wonder if they threw FRAGILE stickers all over the box, if UPS would have handled them better, or if end customers would have complained their adventure grade tonneau was coming in a box labelled fragile?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Iā€™m hoping mine gets delayed long enough to get version 2.0 that hasnā€™t been redesigned yet.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I wonder if they threw FRAGILE stickers all over the box, if UPS would have handled them better, or if end customers would have complained their adventure grade tonneau was coming in a box labelled fragile?
A knew a guy (now deceased) who drove for UPS for 29yrs... he once told me "never wright FRAGILE on anything going by UPS because they see that as a challenge".

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I used to work for UPS like 20+ years ago and the boxes labeled fragile got extra "special" treatment. The job there was terrible, more than anyone was reasonably able to handle and UPS didn't care. They worked you into the ground until you broke and then just found someone else if you burned out. That leads to employees who aren't in the best of moods when it comes to treating packages with care. It was more important to be fast than to be careful.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I used to work for UPS like 20+ years ago and the boxes labeled fragile got extra "special" treatment. The job there was terrible, more than anyone was reasonably able to handle and UPS didn't care. They worked you into the ground until you broke and then just found someone else if you burned out. That leads to employees who aren't in the best of moods when it comes to treating packages with care. It was more important to be fast than to be careful.
That's pretty much verbatim what my friend had told me... the drivers hated management (they we non-union) and looked to stick it to them any way they could because management had absolutely no regard for labor. A bad situation all around...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That's pretty much verbatim what my friend had told me... the drivers hated management (they we non-union) and looked to stick it to them any way they could because management had absolutely no regard for labor. A bad situation all around...
It very much was a toxic company culture. As you said I was union and it was an us vs. them with management who were non union. It wasn't just that, or even a big part of that for me though. I was in the load section and the job itself was incredible for the volume the expected you to do. The equipment sucked, the labor wasn't enough and the package volume was stupid. When you complained they just told you too bad and the better you were at your job the only reward you got was moving to a harder line with more volume.

Instead of rewarding the high achievers they were just given more work. That's a common trap for many companies because it's easy to just give your top performers more work but there comes a point where making someone do twice the work for the same pay becomes unsustainable.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
UPS is definitely not at the top of my list of most favored shipping companies. I canā€™t say that this is a corporate issue or just that my regular delivery person is a complete FN moron. FWIW, I just took delivery of my truck this week. My order includes a manual tonneau cover. Based on some of these stories, gotta wonder when I will ever see it. Would be nice to get it before the snow flys.
Sponsored