Sponsored

Replace windshield or live with the crack?

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I had my windshield replaced by Rivian. It was a nightmare. They damaged the speaker grill in the door and had to replace the door panel. They also scratched the mesh grill on the dash under the windshield. Then the replacement mesh grill they dented. It took 3 service center visits before everything was corrected.

I would try and inject that and then throw a black vinyl sticker over it and see how long it will last. The windshield glass is so soft that I already have several chips in it, which I've never had in any vehicle I've ever owned.
Sponsored

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Replace windshield or live with the crack? 9A5C9C1A-80D0-49EB-AACE-294D599C0C7F

Going to Safelite tomorrow to see if they can repair this. Originally it was smaller but the past 2 days it has grown. I have the windshield tinted and the crack is not in my driving view so I am hoping they can repair it and I’ll deal with a piece of missing tint. Otherwise, I’ll have to go to the RC.

Last edited:

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
9A5C9C1A-80D0-49EB-AACE-294D599C0C7F.jpeg

Going to Safelite tomorrow to see if they can repair this. Originally it was smaller but the past 2 days it has grown. I have the windshield tinted and the crack is not in my driving view so I am hoping they can repair it and I’ll deal with a piece of missing tint. Otherwise, I’ll have to go to the RC.
Did you end up getting this repaired successfully? I just got pretty much the exact same crack in the same place. Windshield is also tinted. If you got it replaced/insured, did insurance reimburse the cost of the tint? Just got it done 4 days ago :headbang:

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Did you end up getting this repaired successfully? I just got pretty much the exact same crack in the same place. Windshield is also tinted. If you got it replaced/insured, did insurance reimburse the cost of the tint? Just got it done 4 days ago :headbang:
I got it replaced because Safelite deemed it unrepairable. My insurance didn’t reimburse for the tint. I didn’t bother telling them since it’s technically illegal to have full windshield tint in CA and figured they wouldn’t have reimbursed for it anyways.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
A long time ago, I had a similar crack in my old Honda Civic S. Since I was in San Luis Obispo, CA, where there is apparently no real crime, I got pulled over and ticketed (fix-it) for the crack. Just another data point to consider.
Sponsored