First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
That would make changing from my ford brand power wall charger worth it.

Had the ford charger since I had a mache and worked fine. The they did a couple updates and now I canā€™t access the wall charger unless I have a ford brand EV. Iā€™m happy it will still charge both my R1T and my daughters Bolt.

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

24 kw @240v is 100 amps! Hopefully this is not just gen 2. Rj has repeatedly said the vehicle already has the hardware capable. It just needs to be enabled by software so that tells me gen one will be capable of this as well hopefully.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
24 kw @240v is 100 amps! Hopefully this is not just gen 2. Rj has repeatedly said the vehicle already has the hardware capable. It just needs to be enabled by software so that tells me gen one will be capable of this as well hopefully.
They said R1 g1 and g2 will do 24kWh DC output and R2 will do 11 kWh AC output.

Sponsored

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

They said R1 g1 and g2 will do 24kWh DC output and R2 will do 11 kWh AC output.
help me understand what 24kWh DC means for powering a home... how many days of power would that provide without draining the battery to 0 if your avg. daily need is, say 2 kWh? Is that 12 days of power before my truck battery is drained? My needs at my cabin are about 2kWh but a home would be substantially more

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
help me understand what 24kWh DC means for powering a home... how many days of power would that provide without draining the battery to 0 if your avg. daily need is, say 2 kWh? Is that 12 days of power before my truck battery is drained? My needs at my cabin are about 2kWh but a home would be substantially more
24kw (power), not kwh (energy). Very few households exceed 24kw except when charging EVs. DC doesn't matter. Watts are watts.

You can look at your electric bill to know your home usage. At a minimum most households could go at least a couple of days with air conditioning.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Would this capability paired with solar panels give one the ability to go off-grid during power outages?

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

24kw (power), not kwh (energy). Very few households exceed 24kw except when charging EVs. DC doesn't matter. Watts are watts.

You can look at your electric bill to know your home usage. At a minimum most households could go at least a couple of days with air conditioning.
I was going from SANZCO2's post that said 24kWh DC but you are correct -looking back at the linked article it is 24kW

Sponsored

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan
Clubs

My thoughts: develop a home natural disaster energy plan. Turn off all unnecessary breakers and only V2H power essential appliances.

Iā€™ll likely purchase one of these when itā€™s available.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was going from SANZCO2's post that said 24kWh DC but you are correct -looking back at the linked article it is 24kW
The difference between DC in the R1 and AC in the R2 is you need a converter to use the DC output in the R1 but sounds like the R2 will output AC similar to Ford.

Short answer is if you are using 2kWh a day 25 days would be 50 kWh give or take whatever the efficiency loss is.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Would this capability paired with solar panels give one the ability to go off-grid during power outages?
It should act just like a battery storage during an outage. You will need a grid disconnect to use it. Once they announce the specs Iā€™m going to talk to my solar guy to see if my Tesla power wall can tie into it or if I need additional pieces.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Iā€™m a SunPower/ Enphase solar house - going to reach out to my local installer to get their input as well.

Hoping Rivian follows spec and doesnā€™t go proprietary like Ford did.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

ugh, just partner with a 3rd party. your track record is not good with accessories and you'll likely get it out sooner. they've been talking about this for 4-5 years, it'll be almost a decade by the time it ships.
Sponsored