Sponsored

Rivian R1T Delivery Day Checklist

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I agree. There is no reason to assume the fit and finish of a Rivian will be the same as Tesla. We can make no assumptions either way because almost all of the trucks delivered have been to employees.

Rivian saying they value quality is one thing. Actually being able to deliver on that is another. People seemed to have already forgot that RJ said last summer that communication would be improved and it only got worse. I am not going to take them at their word. Trust has to be earned.
I trust rivian as much as anyone else selling me something.

But I canā€™t simply assume they will act in bad faith and deliver a poor quality product, to the point of going through a 50 point checklist when I get the thing. Not going to go looking for problems. Thatā€™s someone elseā€™s job.

That sort of bother takes way too much energy.
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I trust rivian as much as anyone else selling me something.

But I canā€™t simply assume they will act in bad faith and deliver a poor quality product, to the point of going through a 50 point checklist when I get the thing. Not going to go looking for problems. Thatā€™s someone elseā€™s job.

That sort of bother takes way too much energy.
To me if I feel compelled to go through a 50 point checklist to double check someone else's 50 point checklist on an $80k vehicle, I am buying the wrong vehicle from the wrong company.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
With Tesla if you donā€™t catch issues at pickup, then they can basically tell you to go pound sand if you call them a week later about deforms, scratches, etc. I did find deforms and interior panel scratches at pickup on my model 3. I also found that the dealer had damaged all 4 wheels(very minor damage, but still damaged) when they went to remove the plastic covers on the brakes on one of our Volvo XC40 Recharges. The dealer admitted that they damaged them and replaced all 4 wheels with no questions asked. We have also found some other issues with other vehicles as well. So yes I will be looking over the truck in detail like I do every other car.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
All Iā€™m saying is that youā€™re buying a vehicle that is from a company who has hired like 4000 people in the last few months. No one is perfect and if you expect youā€™re vehicle to be, youā€™re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Itā€™s finally happening! Congrats @AdamL and @godfodder0901 and everyone else getting their trucks next week. Now that deliveries are finally starting for customers, I think we should start a discussion about creating a delivery day checklist. There are plenty of checklists already for the model Y, so I suggest we use the model Y checklist as a template and make edits/additions to the checklist for the R1T.

Here is a checklist for the model Y as a starting point. Can everyone getting delivery use this checklist and update it for R1T specific items?

https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/tesla-model-y-delivery-check-list_final-copy-pdf.3256/
While I can appreciate this from a pure excitement perspective, screw Tesla for normalizing outsourcing QC to the customer. This is supposed to be Rivian's handshake to the world, quality should be in line with a vehicle costing $70k+.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
After years of being stiff armed, if the supermodel at the end of the bar pulled up and asked to go home with you, would you want to interview her first?
Considering the Hotness <-> Insanity chart, HELL yeah I'd interview her first. Could be that supermodel is one hell of a psycho ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who's done 1000s of customer vehicle handoffs, this would go in my "weird" category for customer delivery behavior.
... why?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
All Iā€™m saying is that youā€™re buying a vehicle that is from a company who has hired like 4000 people in the last few months. No one is perfect and if you expect youā€™re vehicle to be, youā€™re setting yourself up for disappointment.
free of glaring defects a six year old would notice isnā€™t too big of an ask ?

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
And there goes everybody elseā€™s delivery windows. ? now instead of delivering say 5 cars a day per Rivian delivery person, they will now deliver 1 due to everybody checking how many bolts are in the rocker panelsā€¦

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What Iā€™m genuinely curious about is has there been any ocean coast interior confirmations? It seems that Iā€™ll be black mountain at this point, maybe somebody already mentioned that theyā€™re doing it in batches, I donā€™t remember
Correct - I had it firsthand from a (pretty high ranking) employee earlier this week that they are just doing Black Mountain batches right now. Can't imagine it will be that way for very long, though - there are a lot of people with delivery dates coming up quickly with both OC and FE.

Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Considering it more, I suppose in a scenario where a new truck just shows up on your doorstep, and there isn't a service center right down the street, a curbside self-PDI is sensible. After all, Rivian delivery day is likely the first time most people will have face-to-face contact with an employee.

BUT if an owner turns up to my shop for their new ride, with their own official off-the-internet checklist, after my factory trained techs just spent 2-3 hours on a PDI, that isn't normal. That means I haven't done a good job building a relationship with you, building trust in me as a salesman, or building trust in our service folks for the knowledgeable professionals they are.

I'll put it this way - it's never happened to me in 15 years. People show up for service with lists; that's normal and was damn near expected when I worked at a Euro shop. But to do a walk-around before you ride off into the sunset? I'd be offended. And then disappointed in myself for doing a poor job. Delivery day is fun day; no stress, no seeds, no stems, no sticks. And no checklists.

That said, if it makes you happy, I'll stand back while you do your thing. Just know I'm silently judging you and then I'm going to tell the whole shop. Then you'll be "checklist guy" forever. ;) ?ā€ā™‚

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Itā€™s finally happening! Congrats @AdamL and @godfodder0901 and everyone else getting their trucks next week. Now that deliveries are finally starting for customers, I think we should start a discussion about creating a delivery day checklist. There are plenty of checklists already for the model Y, so I suggest we use the model Y checklist as a template and make edits/additions to the checklist for the R1T.

Here is a checklist for the model Y as a starting point. Can everyone getting delivery use this checklist and update it for R1T specific items?

https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/tesla-model-y-delivery-check-list_final-copy-pdf.3256/
Starting this thread was a great idea.

you know, you just volunteered to edit the first post forever to include the most frequently found issues upon delivery, right? ;)

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Considering it more, I suppose in a scenario where a new truck just shows up on your doorstep, and there isn't a service center right down the street, a curbside self-PDI is sensible. After all, Rivian delivery day is likely the first time most people will have face-to-face contact with an employee.

BUT if an owner turns up to my shop for their new ride, with their own official off-the-internet checklist, after my factory trained techs just spent 2-3 hours on a PDI, that isn't normal. That means I haven't done a good job building a relationship with you, building trust in me as a salesman, or building trust in our service folks for the knowledgeable professionals they are.

I'll put it this way - it's never happened to me in 15 years. People show up for service with lists; that's normal and was damn near expected when I worked at a Euro shop. But to do a walk-around before you ride off into the sunset? I'd be offended. And then disappointed in myself for doing a poor job. Delivery day is fun day; no stress, no seeds, no stems, no sticks. And no checklists.

That said, if it makes you happy, I'll stand back while you do your thing. Just know I'm silently judging you and then I'm going to tell the whole shop. Then you'll be "checklist guy" forever. ;) ?ā€ā™‚
I was just curious why you've had 1000s of vehicle exchanges. Lol.

Last edited:

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Tesla's become very experienced in fixing all the issues after delivery. Almost to the point where the initial checklist is not really that important.
Only really a few things for any car that needs to be checked during delivery, like the paint and anything massive. Only the stuff that would make you refuse delivery.

Funny story, I took delivery of a model 3 this week and they forgot the aero covers for the wheels.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Tesla's become very experienced in fixing all the issues after delivery. Almost to the point where the initial checklist is not really that important.
Only really a few things for any car that needs to be checked during delivery, like the paint and anything massive. Only the stuff that would make you refuse delivery.

Funny story, I took delivery of a model 3 this week and they forgot the aero covers for the wheels.
My neighbors had a Model Y delivered last November. They got the wrong colored seats. They ordered black, but were given white.
Sponsored