Sponsored

Rivian Trade-In

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
They don't seem to be in the car selling business either! Or the car making business. They aren't very good at either one this early on is the impression I'm getting.

The whole 'direct to customer' business model makes me appreciate the traditional role a car dealer plays. There is a point of accountability for the customer with the traditional dealer that the new model does not have.

The "guides" are largely clueless and there is other point of contact to get matters resolved.
COOL, FLORIDUH MAN CHECKS IN
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

Just received the 8-steps WOO-HOOO!!!!

Then immediately deflated, Rivian trade in was 8-10k less than what I had anticipated (what KBB suggested). My guide said they could only offer whole sale prices, it almost seems as though many features were not accounted for as the EV6 is still fairly new.

Do the guides have any control over the trade in #, has anyone had success getting the price bumped closer to what "fair market" value currently is? I would love to trade it in via Rivian to save on taxes but as it stands that will be about $2500....a big difference in what market value suggests.
EV6 wholesale prices should be in the toilet because you can buy dozens of GT-Line AWDs at MSRP on lots across the country (especially Florida where they sit and have to be discounted $2-3K).

My guess is an EV6 FE wholesales around $46K. I've see used FEs listed at that price here in Florida. Yes that's about a $13K depreciation in 8-12 months.

So my estimate of a "fair market value" for the EV6 FE is $46K. What did Rivian offer you?

FYI KBB is useless. Almost no car dealer uses it.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Your car is very desirable right now. Selling it will get you way more money than any trade in. You don't want to trade in to Rivian, they have no incentive to give you a high end quote on a trade in.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
They don't seem to be in the car selling business either! Or the car making business. They aren't very good at either one this early on is the impression I'm getting.

The whole 'direct to customer' business model makes me appreciate the traditional role a car dealer plays. There is a point of accountability for the customer with the traditional dealer that the new model does not have.

The "guides" are largely clueless and there is other point of contact to get matters resolved.
#ColdTake

Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Just received the 8-steps WOO-HOOO!!!!

Then immediately deflated, Rivian trade in was 8-10k less than what I had anticipated (what KBB suggested). My guide said they could only offer whole sale prices, it almost seems as though many features were not accounted for as the EV6 is still fairly new.

Do the guides have any control over the trade in #, has anyone had success getting the price bumped closer to what "fair market" value currently is? I would love to trade it in via Rivian to save on taxes but as it stands that will be about $2500....a big difference in what market value suggests.
Consider this. In Maryland we get to deduct the value of the trade in from the sales tax liability of the new purchase(A quick Google search tells me that Georgia does too as you suggest). So if you're buying a $80,000 Rivian the sales tax in GA is $6,000 but if they give you $40,000 for your trade then the sales tax would only be $3,000. Essentially giving you an extra $3,000 for your trade and way less hassle.

Last edited:

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
To everyone I offended with my negative post, I apologize. I am having a frustrating experience trying to purchase my long awaited Rivian and it came out overly negative.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
To everyone I offended with my negative post, I apologize. I am having a frustrating experience trying to purchase my long awaited Rivian and it came out overly negatively.
I think there are plenty here who can sympathize with your frustration. Rivian is far from perfect but direct sales doesn’t have anything to do with that. Honestly, given their relative young age as a company, I think about how bad in comparison the legacy manufacturers and their dealers are at so many things they should have perfected after decades of manufacturing, sales, service. As others with multiple reservations for various vehicles have said, the big manufacturers are pretty terrible at communicating about those orders. It’s like you don’t exist until the vehicle you ordered shows up at the dealer years after you placed the order. Ford has raised prices on the lightning 4 times in the last year or so….

IMHO the only area the dealers have a leg up on Rivian is service convenience. And even with that I have had many terrible service experiences with dealer service departments over the years. Rivian will never have as many locations as the dealers do, which may or may not be a good thing.

Ultimately, if the dealer experience is so good for the customer, there is no reason it won’t beat the direct sales model going head to head so there is no reason for any state to keep it out. Let the customers decide what they like best.

OP
OP
cjones1130

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
EV6 wholesale prices should be in the toilet because you can buy dozens of GT-Line AWDs at MSRP on lots across the country (especially Florida where they sit and have to be discounted $2-3K).

My guess is an EV6 FE wholesales around $46K. I've see used FEs listed at that price here in Florida. Yes that's about a $13K depreciation in 8-12 months.

So my estimate of a "fair market value" for the EV6 FE is $46K. What did Rivian offer you?

FYI KBB is useless. Almost no car dealer uses it.
39k ☹ ; and as expected that is the best they can do. I didn't expect the EV6 to depreciate so fast! MUCH different landscape 3 months ago but what can you do?

OP
OP
cjones1130

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Consider this. In Maryland we get to deduct the value of the trade in from the sales tax liability of the new purchase(A quick Google search tells me that Georgia does too as you suggest). So if you're buying a $80,000 Rivian the sales tax in GA is $6,000 but if they give you $40,000 for your trade then the sales tax would only be $3,000. Essentially giving you an extra $3,000 for your trade and way less hassle.
Yea I took that into consideration, accepting the trade in would lower my tax liability ~$2600, making the true trade value "worth" ~42k, still quite a gap to true market value.

Looking though Autotrader and the EV6 value is in the tank, more so than the general used car market. Looks like the ev tax credit is only going to make up my trade in (thats how I'm mentally selling it to myself haha)

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

The number of problems I’ve had with dealerships you wouldn’t believe. Especially after the sale. When I tell Rivian something isn’t right with my truck they say let me get you on the books to fix it. When I would do that with really any dealership they do whatever they can to get out of fixing it under warranty.

i had a Mazda once and it needed 3 fuel pumps and an entire ECU and harness. The best part is they told me the wires were chewed through by squirrels and I would have to pay 2200 for that portion of the repair, like 20 years ago keep in mind.

I told him that’s fine but I want to see the damage before you make any repairs and see where the wires have been chewed through. All of a sudden it was never mind we will take care of it. Then they conned us into buying the tire protection warranty and when we tried to use it a year later they “lost” our paperwork and didn’t have any records of it. Unfortunately for them we did have the paperwork and they had to honor it.

Stealerships are full of liars and thieves who care very little about you or your business.

Haulin Oats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Adventure
I attempted to trade in my 2021 Model Y Performance with FSD. The value I was given was approx $26,000 below current wholesale values. I posted the car up privately, sold it for $36,000 more than Rivian was giving me.

However, I took a 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+ on trade. They valued it about $2,000 over wholesale value, so I kind of won there!

I have been in the car business in Canada for about 16 years, so I'm pretty familiar with wholesale and retail values of my car.

I am in Canada, so YMMV.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
To everyone I offended with my negative post, I apologize. I am having a frustrating experience trying to purchase my long awaited Rivian and it came out overly negatively.
Nah, we should apologize to you. Its the modern online world, where people are anus's by default (or expect the worst of others' intentions) until some interaction occurs. Blame the iPhone. Or millennials, since they created this social mess. :D

Anyhoo... It sounds like you want a Rivian more than some of the flippers on here. Why not just get back in line? Its shorter now.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

39k ☹ ; and as expected that is the best they can do. I didn't expect the EV6 to depreciate so fast! MUCH different landscape 3 months ago but what can you do?
I'm going through this right now. I have a friend that owns a used car dealership (just low mileage and high end cars). When I asked him about our Audi etron back in January, he said in Sept it was worth $10k more than now! Arghhhhhhhh.

Anyhow, I'm going to get a one more quote next week. Right now, with the sales tax implications, Rivian is my best deal.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

It's not just EV6s... it's almost all EVs.

Polestar 2s have depreciated 30-35%

My Mach-E (MSRP $59K) is now worth mid-40s in trade. That's 30% loss.
Sponsored