Sponsored

Some Supercharger v3 not available to 3rd parties?

iceman12578

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, Volvo xc90 recharge
Occupation
designer
Has anyone else seen this? We have a place called Palladio in Folsom that has a mix of v2 and v3 superchargers.

The rivian nav said “incompatible” but i thought that was only referring to the v2.

I went to go plug in but nothing ever happened. it also doesn’t show up on the “Charge another EV” on the tesla app.

clearly for some reason this site is excluded for some reason from Rivian/3rd party access does anyone know why or have other examples of this? They have an insanely reasonable for California $0.17/kwh rate at night and would love to charge there…
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone else seen this? We have a place called Palladio in Folsom that has a mix of v2 and v3 superchargers.

The rivian nav said “incompatible” but i thought that was only referring to the v2.

I went to go plug in but nothing ever happened. it also doesn’t show up on the “Charge another EV” on the tesla app.

clearly for some reason this site is excluded for some reason from Rivian/3rd party access does anyone know why or have other examples of this? They have an insanely reasonable for California $0.17/kwh rate at night and would love to charge there…
I have never found a station with mixed SC versions on the list of available. My guess is that there is software running on these mixed stations to make them compatible with the older stations that does not allow them to open up for the CCS vehicles. My other guess is they just do not want people to deal with the confusion that not all stations at a location will work although a simple label would resolve that.

I recall some people also reporting that some newer V3+ stations are not on the list either so it also could just be Tesla being selective on what they want to open.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T

Not every v3 location has been opened. Trust the app. Also can check the Tesla app for this information as well.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
If you’re referring to the Premium Outlets site in Folsom then you’re right, it’s not CCS compatible with an adapter. Tesla Find Us shows it is not a NACS site:

Rivian R1T R1S Some Supercharger v3 not available to 3rd parties? IMG_0218

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Even some V3 only sites are still Tesla only. Only they know the reasons why. You can’t assume all V3 chargers will work with Rivian.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T PDM, '97 Miata
Occupation
IT
Clubs

There is another thread with a detailed map showing where you can charge, and it has been fine-tuned to reflect v3 superchargers that are not compatible.

I thought all v3s were open to non-Tesla until I started reading that thread. Seems to be restricted in some cases, perhaps due to congestion.

Edit: here's the thread

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There is another thread with a detailed map showing where you can charge, and it has been fine-tuned to reflect v3 superchargers that are not compatible.

I thought all v3s were open to non-Tesla until I started reading that thread. Seems to be restricted in some cases, perhaps due to congestion.
I do not think it is congestion. I have 2 around my house that a very busy and they are open to CCS.

I have not found a real reason for the ones left out. 🤷🏻

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I have a new supercharger near me that is not busy and not open to CCS. No rhyme or reason why some V3 are not open. Or at least no reason that Tesla is willing to reveal.

Regardless, it's more than just a few V3 that aren't open. And 1/3 of all superchargers are V1/V2/Urban, which will never be opened. Between these, I find there are very few superchargers in places where there are no CCS charger. In other words, the open superchargers in my region of the country don't fill in the gaps in the CCS infrastructure, but they DO provide more options in places I already have options.

So be sure to check the Rivian navigation/app or the Tesla website/app before you plan on stopping at a supercharger that you've used before for your Tesla.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I saw a supposed Rivian email saying that mixed chargers are not compatible because they don't want people getting confused. Meaning that they won't know to only use V3/V4 pedestals.

There's also the matter of many "new" chargers having a V3 or V4 pedestal, but the entire back end infrastructure is V1/V2. I don't know if this matters, meaning whether the incompatibility is on the nozzle, the infrastructure, or both. This even affects Teslas, because power sharing between pedestals is a problem as far as charge rate. Old back end limits power, while the driver sees a new pedestal and thinks it's not shared.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

The Supercharger stations in Brattleboro VT and West Lebanon NH both started as 8-stall v2s in 2015 or so, and were expanded with another 8 v3s in 2022. Neither is accessible to non-Teslas. May be due to shared hardware incompatibility, or to wariness about the confusion or even conflict that could result from non-Teslas trying to use v2 stalls. Unfortunate because most of the Superchargers in that area are v2s so the Tesla access doesn’t add much.

Fortunately Rivian just opened RANs in both Brattleboro and West Lebanon so the lack of Supercharger access is not an issue.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Tesla has only opened sites they chose to open. There was never media coverage or announcements implying that every V3 and newer would be open. V3 is capable of supporting non-Teslas, but it’s their prerogative which to open. Supposedly, high traffic ones in heavy use by Tesla owners are among those not open to non-Teslas.

chex38

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Occupation
I/T
Sorry to harp on this, but what is a "V1 Supercharger"? I always see people causally mention V1s, but AFAIK, they don't really exist. I thought I understood these chargers were very few and far between and were just experimental units before they came out with the much more common V2 chargers we all know ( 100-145kW, shared between 2 A/B stalls ) . Do you have any info on what Superchargers are V1s, at all? Have you ever seen one in the wild?

Thanks.

Regardless, it's more than just a few V3 that aren't open. And 1/3 of all superchargers are V1/V2/Urban, which will never be opened.

OP
OP
iceman12578

iceman12578

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, Volvo xc90 recharge
Occupation
designer

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
I too have not run across a dual V2/V3 Tesla Charge Station, but I did find this V3/V4 Station on the West side of Nashville, TN yesterday morning (as I traveled from Jackson, TN to Carlisle, PA) & I tried to connect to the V4 chargers, but no go... :cool:

Rivian R1T R1S Some Supercharger v3 not available to 3rd parties? 2024-06-28 West Nashville

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I too have not run across a dual V2/V3 Tesla Charge Station, but I did find this V3/V4 Station on the West side of Nashville, TN yesterday morning (as I traveled from Jackson, TN to Carlisle, PA) & I tried to connect to the V4 chargers, but no go... :cool:

2024-06-28 West Nashville.jpg
Did the V3 chargers work? I see a yellow Rivian charging or trying to charge. New sites usually take a few days or weeks to start working with non teslas.
Sponsored