Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Our battery capacity has dropped in half as measure in miles at full charge in all drive modes on our R1S. Purchased in Aug 2023. Last 5 numbers of VIN 13736. Large Pack battery. Quad motor. So battery capacity is nominally 125 kw. We have all recent vehicle updates complete.

We noticed the problem since about Feb 10 in around town driving. We had to home charge each night instead of every couple days.

Now we are on a road trip with good weather (50-70 degree F), no wind and pretty flat on Interstate 90 from SD to IL. Going 65 mph. After 810 miles of driving our Trip A records 2.23 mi/kw in Conserve mode. This should translate to around 275 miles of full battery range (which we have achieved in similar conditions on past trips).

But, we get only 150 miles when we charge the battery to full amount. We switched to All Purpose for about 50 miles and didn’t see any difference. So we are stopping every 120 miles to charge up to 70-85% which gives us only around 125 miles range.

We called Service and tried to reset History on Energy screen tab, soft reset, hard reset and sleep cycle of 5 hours. Still have the problem. We do have an appointment with Cincinnati Service Centwr on March 5.

So basically getting good efficiency but limited range. Any help or suggestions our there??
Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
Could be more of a display issue? Like you have the range left after zero?

Put it in service mode and look at what your soc is

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We did think about just keep going beyond zero with alarms blazing but didn’t have the guts to do it! Can you list steps or give me a reference to going to service mode to see SOC? You are right that we need to see actual battery kw vs miles metric.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We did think about just keep going beyond zero with alarms blazing but didn’t have the guts to do it! Can you list steps or give me a reference to going to service mode to see SOC? You are right that we need to see actual battery kw vs miles metric.
Have you tried charging to 100%?

Sponsored

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Have you tried charging to 100%?
Yes. We charged to 100% the night before we left. And it was only 150 miles which we thought could be due to low temps effecting range calculations. But now we have evidence that our range is 2.23 over this trip and conditions are good to back up the veracity of this efficiency level. And no reboundin range miles.

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Could be more of a display issue? Like you have the range left after zero?

Put it in service mode and look at what your soc is

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yes. We charged to 100% the night before we left. And it was only 150 miles which we thought could be due to low temps effecting range calculations. But now we have evidence that our range is 2.23 over this trip and conditions are good to back up the veracity of this efficiency level. And no reboundin range miles.
Sounds like some of the battery modules are not working will be curious what Rivian says when they are able to diagnose it.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I would deplete the battery as much as possible, then recharge it to 100% and note how much energy it took to reach 100% SOC. We know that from almost empty to 100% full should be somewhere north of 130kWh.. if you're seeing anything less than that amount.. you have a problem.

Bklyn29

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Sponsored

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Sounds like some of the battery modules are not working will be curious what Rivian says when they are able to diagnose it.
That seems to make sense.

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’m sure it’s been posted, but having trouble finding it, so here’s the steps:

Turn on service mode from your settings menu (I think in the ‘system’ area). Tap top menu bar 5 times, swipe up on app launcher to find the RiDE icon, tap 5 times on the Thomas Edison quote, then enter code 33748.

There is a BMS section that should give you the SOH (state of health) of your battery among other things.

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I would deplete the battery as much as possible, then recharge it to 100% and note how much energy it took to reach 100% SOC. We know that from almost empty to 100% full should be somewhere north of 130kWh.. if you're seeing anything less than that amount.. you have a problem.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sounds to me like it’s giving you the towing mileage reading.

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Yes. Thanks. We have been crawling into chargers with 3% charge because we thought it was just a translation issue with low efficiency from the recent cold. But like your train of thought we then noticed the amount of actual kw added times the current efficiency extrapolates to 75 kw hours at 100%. For example, added 37.5 kw at one stop and the percent fill was 50%. Right now we added 54.7 kwh at 84% SOC and arrived with 10 miles (with efficiency at 2.13 from last 15 min is about an additional 4 kw) Extrapolated to 100% is about 70kwh capacity.

Full battery must not be operating.
Sponsored