Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

We've had a good soak the last few days. I left the tailgate down Sunday night hoping to rinse some of the dirt out of the bed/off the tailgate from doing truck things.

Yesterday morning when I went out to move the T, I could barely lift up the tailgate. I thought maybe it was stuck or trying to stay open (powered open, anyone?). When I put my back into it, it did lift and I quickly realized from the sloshing sound that there were gallons of water INSIDE the tailgate. Once I got it upright and latched, the water came rushing out; below the light bar and from the bottom.

It seems like the electronics were unaffected. Lights and latch still work as expected. I did feel like the latch required a little extra effort to get it to close. I noticed because even after I thought it latched, the warning light on the driver display showed it was open. I gave it another shove and heard a click and the warning went off.

Any thoughts? How worried should I be? I put in a ticket for it to get checked out at some point. Don't really want rust knocking out the function of the tailgate...

I wasn't ready with the camera but I got this pic after most of the water had drained out. You can still see that it was coming out all over.

Rivian R1T R1S Tailgate full of water !?! PXL_20230619_190837792.MP~2
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine does the same thing. Plug is sealed so there shouldn't be any issues getting water in there.
Rivian R1T R1S Tailgate full of water !?! 1687281118812

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
When I leave my tailgate down and wash out the bed, water gets in and then rushes out under the rear brake light area - just like in your pic.

I think this is a design feature vs. a bug. But I’d love to hear others’ opinions as to whether I should be a lot more concerned.
Sponsored