Sponsored

Taking Rivian to a tire shop for alignment and tire rotation

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian Blue Ocean Coast Adventure Package
Not according to service when I asked. I have a mobile service appointment next week Wed and they will not rotate the tires.
Maybe it’s location specific based on resources or materials? I’m in Tampa but serviced out of Orlando.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

I am having my tires rotated at the Rivian SC. OEM AT’s. I considered having them rotated at the local Discount Tire (which I have used for years) but Rivian indicated the tire sensors would need to be recalibrated with a special Bluetooth device so they would show up on the driver’s screen in the proper locations. They doubted Discount Tire had that capability. So I could have had Discount Tire rotate the tires but would still need a recalibration by Rivian.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am having my tires rotated at the Rivian SC. OEM AT’s. I considered having them rotated at the local Discount Tire (which I have used for years) but Rivian indicated the tire sensors would need to be recalibrated with a special Bluetooth device so they would show up on the driver’s screen in the proper locations. They doubted Discount Tire had that capability. So I could have had Discount Tire rotate the tires but would still need a recalibration by Rivian.
If this is true, then this is first vehicle I have had in a long time that doesn't know where each tire is without reprogramming.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I simply cannot wrap my head around that statement from our Phx SC? I'm rotating mine myself and will purposely run one tire 10 psi lower and see if the 'system' knows where the wheel is.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Rivian Dad did a video a week ago posted on youtube where he swapped his 20s from the R1T to his R1S with the 22s (looks like a local tire shop) and reported after a day the tire pressures were displayed on the vehicle dash for the swapped 20s. I figure the sensors just reconnect after being swapped.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I simply cannot wrap my head around that statement from our Phx SC? I'm rotating mine myself and will purposely run one tire 10 psi lower and see if the 'system' knows where the wheel is.
Pretty sure they're supposed to automatically sense them. But it'd be a good test.

Deleted member 7086

Can't vouch for the information I was given over the phone when I made my tire rotation appointment but here is an update from when I picked my truck up. Apparently Rivian has entered into an agreement with Discount Tire for DT to perform certain services on Rivians which would include tire rotations. The different locations will start once the necessary equipment is rolled out. However, I would think it important for those who wish to perform their own tire rotations or wanting to take their Rivians someplace other than DT or RSC's to figure out if a recalibration after rotation is actually required.

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian Blue Ocean Coast Adventure Package
Just had my first mobile tire rotation from Rivian. Tech showed up in a full size commercial van instead of the usual R1T. I have the spare so he rotated that one in. Once they were all back in place he checked pressure in all of them and we did a quick test drive to make sure the sensors were working and the pressure was correct. Very nice guy. $60 well spent.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just had my first mobile tire rotation from Rivian. Tech showed up in a full size commercial van instead of the usual R1T. I have the spare so he rotated that one in. Once they were all back in place he checked pressure in all of them and we did a quick test drive to make sure the sensors were working and the pressure was correct. Very nice guy. $60 well spent.
That is not a sustainable price for Rivian. Maybe if it is added to an existing appointment but they can’t cover the cost to send a remote tech just to rotate the tires for $60.

The median pay for a rivian tech is around 59k, that is around $28 an hour. Add into that the energy to drive to you and wear and tear on the van. It should probably cost twice that if you are within 60 minutes of the hub.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
That is not a sustainable price for Rivian. Maybe if it is added to an existing appointment but they can’t cover the cost to send a remote tech just to rotate the tires for $60.

The median pay for a rivian tech is around 59k, that is around $28 an hour. Add into that the energy to drive to you and wear and tear on the van. It should probably cost twice that if you are within 60 minutes of the hub.
Having this done somewhere equipped to do it quickly and efficiently like Discount Tire definitely makes more sense (financially) for Rivian.

Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6

Having this done somewhere equipped to do it quickly and efficiently like Discount Tire definitely makes more sense (financially) for Rivian.
I just made an appointment for rotation at local Discount Tire - not their first Rivian truck - he quoted me $60 for the rotation. Coincidence?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I just made an appointment for rotation at local Discount Tire - not their first Rivian truck - he quoted me $60 for the rotation. Coincidence?
Just to be clear, this was a free service for other vehicles previously correct? I personally dont mind paying $60 every 8-10k miles, but wondering if it's because of that agreement with Rivian.

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Just to be clear, this was a free service for other vehicles previously correct? I personally dont mind paying $60 every 8-10k miles, but wondering if it's because of that agreement with Rivian.
if its like Les Schwab rotations are free if you bought the tires from them. Schwab's charges $30 to rotate if you didn't buy tires from them. They were able to use my pucks, and rotate the spare in.

FzzyNoNoseChimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I took my R1T to Discount Tire today and while they had the EV Sportline pucks to do the rotation, the floor jacks they had weren’t tall enough to lift the truck up in “highest” settings. I asked if they had any lifts they could use instead but they didn’t have any that would support the truck. I ended up driving to Harbor Freight to pick up the Badlands Jack to pair with my jack pucks for rotations at home. According to the techs, it was the first time they had a truck they couldn’t change :CWL: . Hopefully you all have better luck than I did, but hey, at least it was a free service!

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
Just had alignment done at the Atlanta sc. was free, but I asked them to rotate the tires which was $60. (I had a flat, put on the spare a month or so ago. No fun at all lifting a 7000 lb r1t with the screw jack myself.) I was getting "alignment needed errors when I tried to put the car into driver plus mode.

I live near Charlotte, rivian tells me there is a repair shop in hickory, nc that can align, may need a rivian tech there. K&m collision, for anyone in the area. I don't remember the exact words, but rivian said the need to be sure it was aligned at different ride heights was another complication for 3rd parties. I took it to the SC because the A/C was failing, and I continued to get DC fast charging performance reduced errors when I got into the truck (DC charging seemed to work ok though).
Hey there - I’m in Waxhaw and due for a tire rotation and alignment. Confirming that the closest “Rivian approved” shop is all the way up in Hickory, NC?! They’re really dropping the ball considering how large the Charlotte market is…
Sponsored