Sponsored

RollingMaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The Evgo stations near me seem to have it all figured out. Charger is directly in the middle of the parking spot, with cables long enough to go to either side

I can see how this would still be an issue with a rear port location if you have anything mounted behind, but it's not a problem with our R1 and I don't mind backing out of the spots
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Lastly, if you have a bike rack, you should be taking it off because most garages aren't long enough to accommodate it remaining on the vehicle, and therefore it isn't a great argument to use here.
LOL. The concern here is not home use. It's DC charging on trips. Clearly not a use case for you because cameras tend to get blocked by racks and you'd know that instead of suggesting just using the cameras.

And my rack folds up close enough to the vehicle to fit in the garage just fine.

Watty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid and Tundra Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
LOL. The concern here is not home use. It's DC charging on trips. Clearly not a use case for you because cameras tend to get blocked by racks and you'd know that instead of suggesting just using the cameras.

And my rack folds up close enough to the vehicle to fit in the garage just fine.
Again, design for the typical use case, not the edge case. How many charging sessions are done with a bike on vs. not? Besides, once EVs are ubiquitous, we may have stations more like gas stations in design.

And you can back up without cameras.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Again, design for the typical use case, not the edge case. How many charging sessions are done with a bike on vs. not? Besides, once EVs are ubiquitous, we may have stations more like gas stations in design.

And you can back up without cameras.
Traveling with bikes is my typical use case. Not being able to reach the cable means I am parking like an asshole because there's no way I would be unloading a rack of bikes.

Putting the charging port on the back creates a problem for me where I otherwise have none. At all.

Watty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Traveling with bikes is my typical use case. Not being able to reach the cable means I am parking like an asshole because there's no way I would be unloading a rack of bikes.

Putting the charging port on the back creates a problem for me where I otherwise have none. At all.
Then you are the edge case and they shouldn’t design to meet your specific need over everyone else.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Then you are the edge case and they shouldn’t design to meet your specific need over everyone else.
I am not an edge case for Rivian's market.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Watty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Rivian would agree with me considering the way they are demonstrating their new products.
Obviously not considering you’re here ostensibly complaining they did not consider you when designing the charge port location…

Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Own both a Tesla and a Rivian. Many that think they are going to screw over a Tesla owner by taking up 2 charging stall are likely in for some frustrations as well if not way more then a Tesla driver. When a Tesla is charging it is taking up 2 charging stalls for something like a Rivian. Teslas easily and greatly outnumber all other EV’s combined and will likely continue to for the long term future. Most Tesla owners based out of 150kw charger habit use every other stall. Supercharger is likely going to be a lot of teslas charging when you pull in. Especially in bigger cities. So if every other charger is used up the entire supercharger station is useless to non rear drivers side charge ports or front passenger side charge ports. They won’t be able to charge until a Tesla leaves. At which point the every other charging stall that was open may and will be taken by a Tesla that just pulled in unless you are going to be one of those type EV owners that take up a charging stall without actively charging.

Rivian if you want to cater to Europe put the charger location in the front passenger side cause at least it will be useable in the US.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Obviously not considering you’re here ostensibly complaining they did not consider you when designing the charge port location…
It's strictly a cost savings measure. Easily several hundred dollars saved per vehicle. Likely more once you consider warranty costs. Rivian made a lot of mistakes on how the R1s are put together with respect to servicing them. I'm sure they are going over everything with a fine tooth comb this time around.

Watty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It's strictly a cost savings measure. Easily several hundred dollars saved per vehicle. Likely more once you consider warranty costs. Rivian made a lot of mistakes on how the R1s are put together with respect to servicing them. I'm sure they are going over everything with a fine tooth comb this time around.
Whatever the reason, I don’t see a huge problem with it, especially if it keeps costs down as, for the vast majority of charging sessions, it won’t matter one bit.