Clubs

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
This is great news. With similar range and price to the current model and 125-150 kW charging this would be a real winner.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Further evidence that some of the legacy EVs have no idea what's going on. Out of the big three, I think Ford may be the only one that understands how to build EVs but even then, the F-150 Lightning production ramp has been a bit disappointing. Good news for Rivian IMO.

GM announces a new Chevy Bolt EV based on its Ultium battery tech - The Verge
Bolt makes a great commuter or second vehicle. If they bump the charge rate to modern standards, add DC preconditioning, it'll be usable even for folks who take shorter weekend trips outside the normal range. (Yes I know it was possible to road trip with one before but I didn't enjoy having to stop so damn much with mine)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Man Mary Barra changes her mind like most people change their underwear. It's good for your privates but bad if you're a CEO of a company.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Not sure I understand the criticism of GM. Lot's of people weren't happy when they announced the cancellation of the Bolt. It is the lowest cost EV on the market, and the only affordable option for many people. It has decent specs, and is perfect as a commuter car or for teens. The one glaring issue (slow fast charging) is going to be upgrade in the new version and offer at least 100kW+ fast charging.

This is great news in my opinion. I don't see any other automakers making a sub-$30K EV.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

Not sure I understand the criticism of GM. Lot's of people weren't happy when they announced the cancellation of the Bolt. It is the lowest cost EV on the market, and the only affordable option for many people. It has decent specs, and is perfect as a commuter car or for teens. The one glaring issue (slow fast charging) is going to be upgrade in the new version and offer at least 100kW+ fast charging.

This is great news in my opinion. I don't see any other automakers making a sub-$30K EV.
I love the Bolt. I think it's a great car. It's just the whiplash of Mary Barra changing her mind and none of this makes any sense that will continue to hinder GM and potentially bringing more EVs to the market.

The Bolt was initially killed because it wasn't profitable but it was the only mass produced EV that GM had. Then they decided to kill it because of future Ultium plans. Fast forward a couple of months and they're bring back the Bolt on the Ultium platform and GM is having a hard time ramping up production of Ultium.

Brookliner

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Dad
Clubs

Man Mary Barra changes her mind like most people change their underwear. It's good for your privates but bad if you're a CEO of a company.
I’d say she has the rare skill of admitting her mistakes and making amendments quickly. Too often brash and prideful CEOs double down on their missteps. I’ve been impressed with her leadership this far.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I love the Bolt. I think it's a great car. It's just the whiplash of Mary Barra changing her mind and none of this makes any sense that will continue to hinder GM and potentially bringing more EVs to the market.

The Bolt was initially killed because it wasn't profitable but it was the only mass produced EV that GM had. Then they decided to kill it because of future Ultium plans. Fast forward a couple of months and they're bring back the Bolt on the Ultium platform and GM is having a hard time ramping up production of Ultium.
Makes me wonder if this was always the plan, but they weren't ready to announce it previously or if this was a response to the reaction of canceling the Bolt. If the former were true, I would think they would show the car, or give more details with today's announcement. That leads me to believe this is in response to the outcry of support for the Bolt.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in an EV as a secondary vehicle or for someone who doesn't ever take longer trips. I will continue to do so when the new one is available, and hopefully the charging speeds with allow me to remove those caveats. If it is the size of the current car it would be perfect for my mother. She will rarely drive more than 60 miles from home, and doesn't want a "big" SUV.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I’d say she has the rare skill of admitting her mistakes and making amendments quickly. Too often brash and prideful CEOs double down on their missteps. I’ve been impressed with her leadership this far.
If she was as good as you say she wouldn't make these fairly obvious mistakes in the first place.
Sponsored