Sponsored

Thread for the grizzled. Who had NOT changed their configuration yet?

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I was sooooo close to changing my config last night to be a minimal config with 4 motors. Basically get what I absolutely wanted but give Rivian the least money I could. But I delayed since I was still undecided on wheels (have the 20 AT upgrade, thinking of moving to the 21s). Very glad I did.
My kneejerk reaction at the first email was to cancel but knowing myself I had to give myself a couple days to cool down. Glad I did.
But over that 24+ hours I did lots of soul searching about what I want and it turns out the Rivian is the only thing I really want. There just isn't anything else out there yet to match it (for my needs). I had resigned myself to a somewhat less desirable configuration (about $9K more than original price) that I could live with.
But I had decided to buy EVERY accessory aftermarket if I could - just to spite Rivian. Sure, it's petty, but it felt like a tiny bit out power. After the price reversal I think I will keep them.
I am very happy with the reversal and hope that Rivian has learned that our love for them DOES have bounds. The bloom is off the rose though. I am glad they did this, I will now happily (vs grumpily) buy my R1T, but they did lose my trust and it will take a while to earn that back. BUt today's email was a good start.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
For those who kept their order as it was on 2/28, why did you stick with it? Did you still see it as a great value even at the higher price? Did you feel there would be no other vehicle that could complete with the R1 anytime soon? Or like me are you just someone who will wait to make decisions whenever possible?
I was just going to wait until they contacted me to start the ordering process before I re-configured or canceled. I had a year to wait anyway.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I typically don't make rash decisions on large purchases and I'm still months away from taking delivery so there wasn't really any option for me but to wait and see what happens. Regardless of price, I always knew something could change and I didn't need to make a decision until they actually build me a truck.
Exactly. I also had a feeling that pricing could change at some point. So in the end Rivian kinda screwed themselves. They made this dumb decision, had to go overboard to fix it, and now those of us who did expect an increase get included in the same group as the early pre orders. They could have split that difference if they just handled it right in the first place.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Basically the same. I wouldn't buy at the new price, others may disagree but I don't think it's the appealing value pushing six figures as it is hovering around 80, but no reason to rush to make changes.

This decision always felt like either a huge mistake or a calculated decision to take Rivian in a very different direction. If it was a mistake, they had no choice but to fix it. If a calculated decision, I'd just cancel later.

Sponsored

kiminbend

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, BMW X5, Subaru Outback, Thor KM24 Class C
Occupation
Retired
Held on...R1S Explorer...hoping things would change. Hope they keep the 5 seater, I don't want nor need the extra weight in the back. I want the Sand interior, but not as an upgrade. I don't like black interior, gets too hot. I hope they keep the White as afree option.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I was sooooo close to changing my config last night to be a minimal config with 4 motors. Basically get what I absolutely wanted but give Rivian the least money I could. But I delayed since I was still undecided on wheels (have the 20 AT upgrade, thinking of moving to the 21s). Very glad I did.
My kneejerk reaction at the first email was to cancel but knowing myself I had to give myself a couple days to cool down. Glad I did.
But over that 24+ hours I did lots of soul searching about what I want and it turns out the Rivian is the only thing I really want. There just isn't anything else out there yet to match it (for my needs). I had resigned myself to a somewhat less desirable configuration (about $9K more than original price) that I could live with.
But I had decided to buy EVERY accessory aftermarket if I could - just to spite Rivian. Sure, it's petty, but it felt like a tiny bit out power. After the price reversal I think I will keep them.
I am very happy with the reversal and hope that Rivian has learned that our love for them DOES have bounds. The bloom is off the rose though. I am glad they did this, I will now happily (vs grumpily) buy my R1T, but they did lose my trust and it will take a while to earn that back. BUt today's email was a good start.
I think many people went through that same process. Most of the threads exploring alternatives seem to conclude there was nothing out there that compares directly. Especially those R1S customers.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Exactly. I also had a feeling that pricing could change at some point. So in the end Rivian kinda screwed themselves. They made this dumb decision, had to go overboard to fix it, and now those of us who did expect an increase get included in the same group as the early pre orders. They could have split that difference if they just handled it right in the first place.
Seriously. If they’d spent even 10 minutes thinking about this as humans, they never would’ve implemented the price hike in such an arbitrary way. Phasing it in so that you don’t pay 20k more just based on your place in the LE production queue, offering longer free RAN subscription, making paint colors free if you’d already configured with one that got an up charge… coulda made a lot more money that way and not kissed everyone off.

Couple that with some public statements over the last few months about how prices will have to go up as production ramps and they would be in a very different world right now.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I did not change mine. Maybe I was too lazy or maybe I didn’t lose the fair. It was probably the fact that there is no other replacement option for a 7 seat electric SUV now or over the next few years. Either way, glad I stayed. Plus I am an investor so gotta have faith.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Didn't change a thing. Well, I added back on the power tonneau, after asking customer service if it would affect delivery given the note that "any configuration changes may affect delivery".

My plan was to wait and see. Either they were going to do something to rectify their terrible decision, or I was going to cancel my order at time of guide contact in 2023.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I fall somewhere in the middle of this category. I kept my L.E. R1T order but used the "new" configurator to slice off nearly all the accessories that I originally picked in order to limit the final price increase to around $8k (or 10%) more. Assuming once they get the "dual view" configurator working with a portal for pre-order holders that I will still get the chance to add back those items that were configured on 2/28 for the price offered then.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
You are hardcore my friend. I agree the new pricing was not out of line for what the vehicle promises - it just simply priced me out as it was configured, and even the downgraded version I created with the new configurator would have been a stretch…
Agreed. New price was reasonable for the type of vehicle but still could not stomach $100k for a vehicle. I would have had to downgrade to stay with Rivian.

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
Like others I added the tonneau cover into my config (since it was previously in the package) and removed it again once the email came out. Cant imagine that will screw up anything for old pricing since they are even reinstating people that canceled. Will see in a couple days.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I didn't change anything. I was really upset with the price change and was struggling with which way I would go. I was holding out hope they would reverse course for at least some portion of the preorders. Ultimately last night I had decided that I was still going to go through with it. I will not buy another ICE vehicle. Been an EV household for almost 5 years now, most of that time a single vehicle household. I want a truck, I need a truck. I need a truck to pull a large trailer for my side business, to pull my small boat to/from the lake, to pickup drywall, plywood, 2x4s from the lumber yard. I want a truck to take my family on road trips with our bikes and other gear.

To fill all those wants and needs the only one I was ever interested in was a Rivian. After the price hike, there still wasn't anything else out there that I was interested in or could get in on without sitting on another multi year waiting list. So the price pissed me off and was more than I'd ever want to pay. Could I afford the price increase? Maybe, probably, unhappily. It came down to being close to the front of the line after already waiting years, no other options that I signed up for, and needing a 2nd vehicle before the end of the summer at the latest.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I didn't change anything, although I was planning to drop the underbody shield and tent, but add crossbars.

Sooo, in other news. Since the underbody shield is listed as "adventure gear" now I'm assuming we can remove it without causing any delays?
Sponsored