Sponsored

Tidal Integration

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Wish they had Sirius/XM support; however, absent that option, I signed up for Tidal. Except for the inherent issues of cell vs satellite (we hit 10 minute+ long dead spots in the mountains), I find the quality and selection to be perfectly fine for our needs. I would, however, like to be able to request songs verbally through Alexa. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do to set it up? If it isn't, any thoughts/guesses on if this capability will be added? My trial is about to end and I'm trying to determine if I want to commit to a full subscription.
Thanks
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You can ask for Tidal every time, or set it up as your preferred music source in the Alexa app on your phone.

OP
OP

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

You can ask for Tidal every time, or set it up as your preferred music source in the Alexa app on your phone.
So, I need to have the Tidal app on my phone in order for Alexa in Rivian to access it? Seems odd to me that I would need to use the phone as an intemediary?

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

So, I need to have the Tidal app on my phone in order for Alexa in Rivian to access it? Seems odd to me that I would need to use the phone as an intemediary?
I don’t have my Rivian yet, but I’ve dealt with similar Alexa issues on other devices.

One of the configuration settings in the app is linking your Alexa account with your music accounts, and choosing your default source for music.

If I’m understanding how they built this correctly, it’s best to think about Alexa being mostly a separate smart speaker in your car, and not something that’s truly controlling your infotainment system. So your request for music goes through Alexa to the internet without much interaction with the Tidal app in the Rivian.

I could be completely wrong on this, as I’ve never touched it. But this is what I’ve picked up from context with other forum posts.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

The Rivian Tidal integration really needs an option to download songs. Tesla has this with their integration and because Tidal music is such high bitrate/quality any weakness with the connection will result in interrupted playback. Having the ability to download a playlist would resolve this issue.

Of course you can always download to your phone and stream via Bluetooth, but the quality of the Bluetooth stream is less than the quality of the streaming directly from Tidal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I don’t have my Rivian yet, but I’ve dealt with similar Alexa issues on other devices.

One of the configuration settings in the app is linking your Alexa account with your music accounts, and choosing your default source for music.

If I’m understanding how they built this correctly, it’s best to think about Alexa being mostly a separate smart speaker in your car, and not something that’s truly controlling your infotainment system. So your request for music goes through Alexa to the internet without much interaction with the Tidal app in the Rivian.

I could be completely wrong on this, as I’ve never touched it. But this is what I’ve picked up from context with other forum posts.
Thanks...I must admit that having worked with Info Security for a long time, it was with not a bit of fear and trepidation that I even said yes to ALexa integration. So, I am, no doubt, overly cautious about allowing anything to listen to my conversations but figured limiting it to my truck reduces the risk a bit.

However, it appears the answer is to load Alexa app oin my phone and configure Tidal as a music service...correct?

OP
OP

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

The Rivian Tidal integration really needs an option to download songs. Tesla has this with their integration and because Tidal music is such high bitrate/quality any weakness with the connection will result in interrupted playback. Having the ability to download a playlist would resolve this issue.

Of course you can always download to your phone and stream via Bluetooth, but the quality of the Bluetooth stream is less than the quality of the streaming directly from Tidal.
Yeah, it is very annoying to say the least to lose it for such extended periods of time. Heck, even Sirius/XM will drop out in the mountains; however, it's usually just a few seconds. I really don't understand the thinking behind not having satellite. I carry a Garmin in-reach when I hike because there is zero chance of a cell phone working if I were to need help. And with a thick canopy in a deep valley, even that can be spotty.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Thanks...I must admit that having worked with Info Security for a long time, it was with not a bit of fear and trepidation that I even said yes to ALexa integration. So, I am, no doubt, overly cautious about allowing anything to listen to my conversations but figured limiting it to my truck reduces the risk a bit.

However, it appears the answer is to load Alexa app oin my phone and configure Tidal as a music service...correct?
Yes, I believe that will get you what you want.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Setting Tidal as the default Alexa music source via the Alexa app is not required, it just means you won't have to say "...on Tidal" every time you request a song, playlist, etc. However, be aware that Rivian does not currently support the ability for Alexa to skip tracks on anything other than Amazon Music (which does not have a Rivian native app).

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

Yea speaking to that, I have had issues where it sounds like the bitrate is lowering due to reception, then picking up back.. the audio quality lowers then improves. This is likely why Tesla doesnt allow the high bit rate tracks at all through their cellular connection.

Sponsored

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Plaid S, Model 3
Occupation
Consultant
I have Alexa configured with Tidal as a default music source. If I ask to play an artist, album or song just the first beat plays and then nothing. The UI never updates, still showing whatever was playing last, however the drivers display does update. Crazy.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I second the feature to download to the truck. There are spots here that lose cell service and it's annoying.

wizard8080

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model Y
I connected Tidal to Alexa and set it as the default player. But voice commands do not work. Alexa recognizes the command and responds with “Playing xxxx on Tidal” but nothing else happens.

Works fine with Spotify, just not Tidal. Anyone successfully get Alexa on Rivian to work with Tidal?

I can use the touchscreen to play Tidal. The sound quality is amazing. A lot better than on my Model Y.
Sponsored