Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yeah, they told me to just keep it clean. I try not to close it if I got it covered in dirt and mud.

They mentioned once the new design is out they'll be replacing them as the old ones break, so it sounded like I wouldn't get contacted for a replacement just because its the old design.
Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Who has experience with the new design? How's it working? How can you tell if your truck has the new design?

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
I took delivery today, VIN 85xx. Broken tonneau upon delivery :| Delivery person "Wait, you didn't know about this already? Your guide was supposed to let you know and offer you the option to get an alternate VIN". No. None of that happened.

So yeah, kind of annoyed. It's stuck closed, too, so I can't even start using my truck like a truck yet.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It should be quick and easy to get a mobile service to force it open instead of closed. Iā€™m still waiting for a more permanent solution.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Weā€™ll it got me today. On a camping trip and it jammed 1/3 open. Last week service told me mine seemed to be in pretty good shapeā€¦ bummer

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Weā€™ll it got me today. On a camping trip and it jammed 1/3 open. Last week service told me mine seemed to be in pretty good shapeā€¦ bummer
That's what sucks the most. I had that issue and I got it back fully closed by doing a reset and trying again. If it's going to happen, ideally you want it stuck totally open or totally closed.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
Just g
Just got my truck Tuesday, VIN 98xx, and Iā€™m so afraid of this (getting stuck when I need to contain things). Already sprayed the rails with PTFE dry lube, but we shall see!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Yesterday the problem hit me at our local Cars and Coffee. As you can see, the 1st panel retracted and separated from the rest of the cover. However I was able to get the cover about half way retracted. Iā€™ve got a support request in. At least Iā€™m in a position where I can still use the bed. I may try a couple of things after todays firmware update completes.

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues 071AD64D-12BA-473B-AA40-6652DAE1E200

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues 3B8CE8B2-1DB1-4438-944B-DABF2A0F81EF

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
When my R1T was delivered on 8/30 the delivery guy said he thought mine might have a "better" tonneau. He didn't specifically say it was a new design but that the last few he has seen have been better. I haven't had any problems yet but haven't opened it a whole lot. Same advice from him on keeping it very clean. Last 5 of VIN are 109xx.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

When my R1T was delivered on 8/30 the delivery guy said he thought mine might have a "better" tonneau. He didn't specifically say it was a new design but that the last few he has seen have been better. I haven't had any problems yet but haven't opened it a whole lot. Same advice from him on keeping it very clean. Last 5 of VIN are 10935.
Thatā€™s nearly 1000 trucks newer than mine.

Sponsored

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Yesterday the problem hit me at our local Cars and Coffee. As you can see, the 1st panel retracted and separated from the rest of the cover. However I was able to get the cover about half way retracted. Iā€™ve got a support request in. At least Iā€™m in a position where I can still use the bed. I may try a couple of things after todays firmware update completes.

071AD64D-12BA-473B-AA40-6652DAE1E200.jpeg

3B8CE8B2-1DB1-4438-944B-DABF2A0F81EF.jpeg
Love the clamps!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When my R1T was delivered on 8/30 the delivery guy said he thought mine might have a "better" tonneau. He didn't specifically say it was a new design but that the last few he has seen have been better. I haven't had any problems yet but haven't opened it a whole lot. Same advice from him on keeping it very clean. Last 5 of VIN are 109xx.
I took delivery the day after you (VIN 107xx) and was told the day before that my tonneau was inoperable. I haven't touched the button on it and even made a not-so-attractive guard to try to prevent accidental button presses.
Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues 1662600180647

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
I took delivery the day after you (VIN 107xx) and was told the day before that my tonneau was inoperable. I haven't touched the button on it and even made a not-so-attractive guard to try to prevent accidental button presses.
1662600180647.png
Sorry to hear that, did they give you an eta for repair? Doesnā€™t seem like these have gotten any better and that they would have fixed anything within 200 vins. Then again Iā€™ve only opened mine twice out of fear and laziness.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry to hear that, did they give you an eta for repair? Doesnā€™t seem like these have gotten any better and that they would have fixed anything within 200 vins. Then again Iā€™ve only opened mine twice out of fear and laziness.
No ETA yet. I'm pretty far from a service center so that may mean a longer wait even when new parts come in.

I wouldn't mind a "downgrade" to a manual cover.
Sponsored