Tonneau cover issues

Brooksplorer

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Adventure Package, El Cap Granite
None if them have a two motor re-design by my understanding - where is that coming from? My tonneau broke on day 3-4 and the SC came out and removed some slats with a crowbar and said everything (unit, slats, rails, seals etc) would be replaced with the upgrade sometime early '23
Sponsored

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
Can anyone that feels they have the fixed/updated/new tonneau post a video. I like to see how it travels and sounds.

I'm 5 months in with mine. Try and keep it clean, lubricate rails every other week. Its been working ok however sounds labored opening and closing. When in closes completely it sounds real bad. haha However, it still works.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Can anyone that feels they have the fixed/updated/new tonneau post a video. I like to see how it travels and sounds.

I'm 5 months in with mine. Try and keep it clean, lubricate rails every other week. Its been working ok however sounds labored opening and closing. When in closes completely it sounds real bad. haha However, it still works.
Nobody has the final yet.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
According to the service manager at the EL Segundo location. Rivian is in the process of designing and manufacturing the powered cover in house. They scrapped all potential fixes by the original manufacture since none of them provided a reliable repair. Once designed and manufactured everyone with a faulty powered cover will receive a replacement.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Rails need to have ball bearing tracks. Watched that Raptor tonneau roll up perfectly in a recent vid.

Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

According to the service manager at the EL Segundo location. Rivian is in the process of designing and manufacturing the powered cover in house. They scrapped all potential fixes by the original manufacture since none of them provided a reliable repair. Once designed and manufactured everyone with a faulty powered cover will receive a replacement.
This is the first bit of promising news that I've seen in this entire fiasco. Rivian should have given up on the original manufacturer a long time ago.

Johnsykas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Chevy Bolt, BMW X3, Chevy K2500 dies
Occupation
Insurance
Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. Was closing the tonneau cover and about 3/4 of the way, it made a strange sound. Pushed the button to stop it, then pushed again to restart to see if the noise returned. It attempted to retract (expected behavior) except only the left side was retracting. This created a imbalance situation with the cover plates. Hit button again to attempt to extend the cover and even out the cover. That did nothing and upon hitting the button one last time, left side retracted more. Called service and they are investigating but to me is looks like the right side motor or retraction system has failed completely. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg
YES. It took Jim, Rivian service 4 hours to get it fully closed where it will remain closed and inoperable until the new one comes out. I needed it closed as we will be using it for ski trip storage. So much easier to leave it open. Can't wait for the replacement. We could not come up with a reason, other than ice jamb fo rthe failure.

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues Tonneau jammed

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
That is the EXACT failure angle mine is stuck at.

YES. It took Jim, Rivian service 4 hours to get it fully closed where it will remain closed and inoperable until the new one comes out. I needed it closed as we will be using it for ski trip storage. So much easier to leave it open. Can't wait for the replacement. We could not come up with a reason, other than ice jamb fo rthe failure.

Tonneau jammed.jpg

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV

Tonneau jammed.jpg
Ugh. I was just about to ask about closing an inoperable tonneau. I need mine closed for a trip next week. It has been inoperable since delivery and I've never seen it closed. Now I need covered storage and was wondering about risking pressing the button and maybe just being ready to pull at both sides of the last slat to help it along.

I've even been debating making a temporary cover with plywood attached to the crossbar mounts.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Sponsored

Johnsykas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Chevy Bolt, BMW X3, Chevy K2500 dies
Occupation
Insurance
Ugh. I was just about to ask about closing an inoperable tonneau. I need mine closed for a trip next week. It has been inoperable since delivery and I've never seen it closed. Now I need covered storage and was wondering about risking pressing the button and maybe just being ready to pull at both sides of the last slat to help it along.

I've even been debating making a temporary cover with plywood attached to the crossbar mounts.
Make a service call. A technician may be able to easliy get it shut if not terrible jammed as mine was

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
The light hit things just right today and I got a good view of how my tonneau failed. You can clearly see the channel got bound up and corrugated causing it to rotate and bind up:

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues 3A076A7F-0C56-4F5B-9A85-72FE3819A6B5
Sponsored