Unpopular opinion: Rivian shouldn’t be running ads

alacritousOmega

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor
I keep getting so many Rivian ads even though I already bought one😅 Love the brand but I think the ads are a waste of $$$. Who buys a $100k car based of an Instagram ad?

What sold me was their Spaces and test drives. They even drove out to my location for my second test drive.

Maybe a referral program would be better?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have heard a referral program is being considered.

I think now is a good time to do ads, actually. They kinda hit the wall as far as demand after they got through their order backlog. Interest rates remaining high didn’t help. They can always stop running ads if the orders start flowing again. It’s easier now than ever to run targeted ads to hit the audiences you want to see your product.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law

I think now is a good time to do ads, actually. They kinda hit the wall as far as demand after they got through their order backlog. Interest rates remaining high didn’t help. They can always stop running ads if the orders start flowing again. It’s easier now than ever to run targeted ads to hit the audiences you want to see your product.
This. Social media ads can expand brand awareness exponentially in a short amount of time, which is what Rivian needs right now.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Adds help sell trucks. RAN maybe a little. I'd kill RAN before adds.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I keep getting so many Rivian ads
Here's another unpopular opinion - if you don't want companies targeting you with ads, then don't give away all your personal information to social media sites whose entire business model is selling targeted advertisements using your personal information.

KidThunder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Entertainment
Clubs

I keep getting so many Rivian ads even though I already bought one😅 Love the brand but I think the ads are a waste of $$$. Who buys a $100k car based of an Instagram ad?
I still run into people that have NO idea what this vehicle is or who makes it, so unlike Tesla they may need more than word of mouth to drive interest/sales.

an-thu-knee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T (Limestone)
I hope the ads help boost their sales and brand awareness. However I think their ads are kind of weird, it's obvious they are only targeting certain types of consumers, but to me the ads I've seen feel corny and cheesy. IMO the vehicle and engineering within the vehicle is way too impressive and cool to be tied only to the "soccer mom" image. Maybe that's my own unpopular opinion haha. And maybe the dynamic of their ads will change when they're more widespread (TV commercials)

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

I still run into people that have NO idea what this vehicle is or who makes it, so unlike Tesla they may need more than word of mouth to drive interest/sales.
I agree. I'm surprised at the people who have no idea what Rivian is. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian is planning on revamping its advertising strategy with the release of the R2. I suspect the R2 will be a little less "adventurous" and a bit more mass market, targeting a slightly different audience...an audience that could benefit from more Rivian brand awareness.

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

I'd love a referral program. When Tesla had it, I referred dozens and dozens, earning me two Powerwalls, two sets of Arachnid wheels, two Radio Flyer kid's cars, and all the luggage and swag. I'm an owner and investor. Sign me up!

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I hope the ads help boost their sales and brand awareness. However I think their ads are kind of weird, it's obvious they are only targeting certain types of consumers, but to me the ads I've seen feel corny and cheesy. IMO the vehicle and engineering within the vehicle is way too impressive and cool to be tied only to the "soccer mom" image. Maybe that's my own unpopular opinion haha. And maybe the dynamic of their ads will change when they're more widespread (TV commercials)
They are definitely targeted, as all advertising these days. Even before "AI" was hip and became a label to hang on everything; even the most boring things. They are simplistic for a reason. Ads have to read quick due to shorter and shorter social-media driven attention spans. If at a glance/scroll the audience doesn't get what you're selling, you've lost.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'd love a referral program. When Tesla had it, I referred dozens and dozens, earning me two Powerwalls, two sets of Arachnid wheels, two Radio Flyer kid's cars, and all the luggage and swag. I'm an owner and investor. Sign me up!
Wow, that’s an amazing haul! nice work!

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Referrals for the Win! Im the Tesla solar ambassador for our 320 home community. Three free Powerwalls and an additional 12kW of Solar later, Elon has built me a gas station for both our Rivians ;)

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Perfect time for ads. Backlog is largely worked off and a ton of people still haven't even heard of the brand. Sadly, there's no way for many of these ad platforms to know that we all already have a Rivian, but we talk about them a lot in our posts, so of course we see the ads. As others mentioned, a referral program of some sort would make a lot of sense.