Sponsored

V2V, V2H, V2X - what's the holdup? Where are the deets?

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
I totally agree. Rivian has assured us their vehicles are bi-directional compliant, but where is the hardware? My R1S is supposed to arrive by year's end so I have emailed every V2h/V2V/V2G manufacturer to get info, pricing, etc. No one has responded. My garage is 240 wired from a prior vehicle and I have robust solar capacity. But where is the hardware!!! I think powerwalls are over priced-over rated, especially given the potential for bi-directional service with an EBV.
Ad for this company popped up.
https://www.bidirectional.energy

They say "works with Rivian" but I don't have any other information.
Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
V2H will be a must have for my next pickup. I don’t want a full size truck, but if I have to jump to Chevy or Ford to get V2H I will.

socaladam

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nocomment
I have 12kW of solar and Enphase sunlight backup to run critical loads and my AC in the event of a brown/blackout. Enphase has a V2H offering, and we’re on the list for EA. However, if Rivian isn’t going to work with any system but their own, I guess I’ll have to look elsewhere.

Lots of promise with Rivian, lots of things have fallen well short of the mark.

hopefully RJs team reads these posts.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've been keeping an eye on this:
https://autelenergy.us/pages/maxicharger-dc-v2x
but I just bought the regular Maxicharger on black friday for the R1S.
Rivian R1T R1S V2V, V2H, V2X - what's the holdup? Where are the deets? 2023-12-03 14.15.51

EV's are a mess of converters: The onboard 12kw AC to DC charger to charge the batteries, there's a DC to DC converter to charge the 12V system and more to power USB-C etc, there's a DC to AC converter to power the 120V outlets (it's horribly inefficient wasting KWs of power at idle), There are DC to AC inverters to run each 3 phase drive motor.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I have 12kW of solar and Enphase sunlight backup to run critical loads and my AC in the event of a brown/blackout. Enphase has a V2H offering, and we’re on the list for EA. However, if Rivian isn’t going to work with any system but their own, I guess I’ll have to look elsewhere.

Lots of promise with Rivian, lots of things have fallen well short of the mark.

hopefully RJs team reads these posts.
Rivian has never said they are planning on their own bi-directional charger. They have said that the R1 already has the hardware in place for V2H. They are far ahead of the game in this regard.

The holdup for Rivian is there is no commercially available bi-directional charger that implement the V2H standard. Once these are available (and presumably validated for use with an R1) Rivian can flip the software switch in the R1 to make V2H possible.

Enphase does NOT yet have a V2H offering - their website says:
We are working with EV manufacturers and power utilities to bring this revolutionary technology to market starting in 2024.
So sometime in 2024 MAYBE if all goes well. I am fairly confident that Rivian will be one of the EV manufacturers that works with Enphase, because I expect Enphase to use a standards-compliant V2H implementation.

Regardless, it pays to have realistic expectations. This is not going to be a cheap solution because more than a charger needed for V2H.
Sponsored