Sponsored

Wanted: Gate Mode

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If you're driving around in rural america, you spend time at the front end and the back end of many trips doing the following:
  1. pull up to gate, stop
  2. get out, open gate
  3. get back in, drive through gate, stop
  4. get out, shut gate
  5. continue on
In my R1T, this is a royal PITA, due to having to put the vehicle in park and wait for it to auto unlock the doors before I can get out. We almost always have to go through at least two gates every time we go out or come back. If we're out recreating, it could be significantly more. If I'm using the truck as a work truck, there are always gates to deal with.
It would be great if there was an added "Gate Mode" which would allow you to leave the vehicle in hold, open the door and get out and then get back in to continue. Once you reached 1 mph or whatever, it could remove gate mode and continue. This would require the auto-lock to not kick in until you reached some reasonably higher speed. We routinely do this in our 2019 subaru forester, although the dinging seat-belt bell will drive you crazy (thank you, Rivian, for stopping after 3 dings)
Anyone else having this "problem"?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have “mode fatigue”🤒

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
If you're driving around in rural america, you spend time at the front end and the back end of many trips doing the following:
  1. pull up to gate, stop
  2. get out, open gate
  3. get back in, drive through gate, stop
  4. get out, shut gate
  5. continue on
In my R1T, this is a royal PITA, due to having to put the vehicle in park and wait for it to auto unlock the doors before I can get out. We almost always have to go through at least two gates every time we go out or come back. If we're out recreating, it could be significantly more. If I'm using the truck as a work truck, there are always gates to deal with.
It would be great if there was an added "Gate Mode" which would allow you to leave the vehicle in hold, open the door and get out and then get back in to continue. Once you reached 1 mph or whatever, it could remove gate mode and continue. This would require the auto-lock to not kick in until you reached some reasonably higher speed. We routinely do this in our 2019 subaru forester, although the dinging seat-belt bell will drive you crazy (thank you, Rivian, for stopping after 3 dings)
Anyone else having this "problem"?
I would like something like this as well - it would also work nicely when getting the truck ready to tow/hitch up.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Double pull the door handle to open it before it's unlocked.

You could even choose to ignore the warnings about putting the vehicle in park first since it does it automatically when you leave anyway.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
For me that would be "mailbox" mode. But I agree we have enough modes...just give me a way to get out to do something quick without having to Park.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Hmm… now you’re making me wonder how you’d jump out of the truck while driving? Do you have to put it in Park? I don’t think you can put it in Park at speed. I suppose a quick double pull on the door handle could work. But, with regen on max, the truck would slow down pretty quick as you’re trying to jump out, so how do you time it correctly? 🤔

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hmm… now you’re making me wonder how you’d jump out of the truck while driving? Do you have to put it in Park? I don’t think you can put it in Park at speed. I suppose a quick double pull on the door handle could work. But, with regen on max, the truck would slow down pretty quick as you’re trying to jump out, so how do you time it correctly? 🤔
Tuck and roll

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Come to a stop, pull the door handle twice and step out of the R1T, leave the door open and go do your gate, mail, steal a lemon, pet a dog, smell a dandilion things. Truck will automatically go into park "all by itself". Step back in and pull down on the handle to put it back in drive... You just invented "Gate Mode"....

The alternative is to ask Rivian to install a mechanical arm that comes out of the frunk to reach over and unlock the gate.... but we will see how the new tonneau covers do first.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think it would be much easier just to get a passenger that would do everything for you.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
How about they just make the current behavior a setting called nanny mode.

And if you turn it off it will not automatically park when you get out(right away...you can go ahead and park when it detects you've left and it is time to auto lock the door if that is enabled), will let you drive with the door open or your seat belt off or with your butt out of the seat because you're looking over your shoulder, or do anything else because it thinks it knows better than I do about what I should be doing.
Sponsored