First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Have had the pleasure of owning an R1T since November and need to clean the big boy up. Not sure which product to select and could use the forum's help. Also-my truck came with the factory paint protection and wonder if that plastic coating impacts the choice of wax. Thoughts?
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Go for a gentle wax that goes well with the plastic coating. I've had good results with 'Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax' because it's safe for protected finishes.

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
The Griots ceramic is the best. I have all the products I used listed at my amazon store. Some would call me OCD about keeping my truck pristine.

https://www.amazon.com/shop/electri...aipsfelectrifiedoutdoors_TA5DC62N0KQEXBBMT9AZ
That's a great list. I really liked the Griot's Ceramic as well (and it smells awesome). But I moved to the Adam's Graphene Advanced and it's absolutely fantastic (make sure it's the advanced and not the other graphene sprays they have). Similar hydrophobic properties to the Griots, but lasts longer. You do have to be careful with it (I wear gloves) - it's solvent-based versus water-based like most spray on coatings. Might give it a try!

-Rich

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I don't have time to keep up on the cars like I used to with the kids and everything else in life. Because of that, I need something that I can do and have it last a long time through hand and car washes. I like the chemical guys products a lot.

You might consider doing a clay bar cleaning on the Rivian first, but once you are ready I put these on in this order and really take my time.

- Chemical guys jet seal
- Chemical guys Blacklight wax

It usually lasts a long time and water still beads years later. If I wanted to upkeep more, I would probably shoot for additional coats once a year.

Once those are done, I will then use the chemical guys or other car shampoo (so it doesn't strip the wax), bucket with grit guard and microfiber car wash mitt/pole for when hand washing, an "absorber" synthetic shammy to dry, and chemical guys hybrid v7 detailing spray to get it to shine and get rid of water spots

For interior, just stoner or Griots glass cleaner, chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner, and Chemical guys VRP for the plastic bumpers, etc.

For the tires, whatever spray tire shine, it's all varying amounts of silicone spray really.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Careful. Discussions over wax and paint care online tend to devolve quickly into a pissing contest over personal biases and tribal affiliation with certain brands. And there are simply too many products to arrive at any meaningful conclusions.

My own experience is synthetic products last longer, under the SoCal sun, than the “old” natural waxes. And in the last 10 years the tip of the industry has moved on from waxes of any kind to ceramics and graphenes—products that are longer lasting and far less time consuming to apply. Instead of triggering a lengthy debate, I recommend visiting a local specialty detailer supply shop and strike up a conversation there. Try some products they carry. This way, you get quality info and you get to support a local business.

Baccseed

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I prefer ceramic over wax. It ends up being much more durable and has better hydrophobic properties. Plus, it looks better.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes, I have PPF on the T and it came with the fusion ceramic top coat from XPEL. On the S, I did a proper ceramic coating as the wife did not want to go with PPF on that.

The sprays I use are what I consider toppers to maintain hydrophobic properties and the coating you already have weather that be ceramic or PPF.

For a proper ceramic I use Crystal Serum Light aka CSL. That's on my list. If you have PPF then the HALO product is best as that is designed for vinyl wraps and PPF.

The CSL is great..
Makes cars shine like crazy... But you definitely have to make sure to use a light clay bar first and check your paint. If it needs correction before hand. I also have a 4 step system that I don't know if I have on that list. 3 levels of cutting compound and then a finishing polish.

If your not doing PPF:

Decon
Clay
Paint correct
Prep spray
Ceramic coat

Good luck and feel free to message me.

Oh and I don't get into arguments about product. To each their own. The only thing that matters is that your happy with your car.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

A constant re-application of mud makes the best paint protectant.

Sponsored

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
Like any other middle aged father without a lot of spare time to spend on vehicle care, after doing a bunch of research myself I landed on:
  1. Wax with Griots 3-in-1 ceramic. Sprays on really easy and should last long enough (I expect around 12 months), but it's so easy to apply I'm not worried about it. Spray on, wipe off. Takes 15-20 minutes.
  2. Keep it glossy and keep the coating maintained with a ceramic spray detailer (for example Griots Ceramic Speed Shine). I use Technician's Choice TEC582. Takes 5 minutes.
  3. If the vehicle is too dirty / grimy to use the spray detailer, do a rinseless wash with McKee's 37 N-914. It won't affect the ceramic coating. All you need is 2 gallons of water. Takes 30-45 minutes.
  4. If you need to do the wheels, the Griots Heavy Duty Wheel cleaner is good. I haven't needed it on the Rivian but my Porsche gets mad brake dust and this stuff is awesome.
This is a very low effort regimen with great results. The only gap I have is a good protection for all the plastic cladding to keep it from fading. Right now I am just putting the ceramic wax on it, but I think I need something else.

Last edited:

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
The only gap I have is a good protection for all the plastic cladding to keep it from fading. Right now I am just putting the ceramic wax on it, but I think I need something else.
Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing is fantastic for the trim and tires.

https://a.co/d/9WMie23

-Rich

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

what about if you have PPF?.....can this be used?
Yes, I have PPF on my truck and I use it as a topper. IMO the sprays are only maintenance products.

If I had no PPF I would use something like CSL ceramic coating and then use the Griots as a maintenance topper after washes.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Yes, I have PPF on my truck and I use it as a topper. IMO the sprays are only maintenance products.

If I had no PPF I would use something like CSL ceramic coating and then use the Griots as a maintenance topper after washes.
Thanks for your response.

Our front is PPF and the mirrors as well. Our quarter panels are only 50% (from the ground up). With all the rain we have had, we don't wash from December to March-ish. We are supposed to get slammed this weekend. I might run it through the brushless car wash to get the grime off.
Sponsored