Sponsored

What will Tesla's response to the R3X look like?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We all know the Cybertruck only came to market because Rivian turned out to be a formidable opponent in the EV space. We have yet to see the rumoured model 2, which is supposed to be more of a cheap city car, which I am not convinced is the R3's market.

Will Tesla actually come up with a design that will evoke the same emotion for buyers as the R3X, or will it be another cybertruck style clone?

Will they beat Rivian to the market this time?
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They will allow a different 3 year old than the one who created the Cybertruck to design a new geometric shape car.

Or they could just continue churning out beluga whale shaped cars…

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
We all know the Cybertruck only came to market because Rivian turned out to be a formidable opponent in the EV space.
I don't know about _only_ because of Rivian and even 3 years later I think that "formidable opponent" is a bit of a stretch. Ford sells a lot of F150s - I suspect Musk was looking at the overall truck market and wanted a piece of it. Swing and a miss IMHO.
Will Tesla actually come up with a design that will evoke the same emotion for buyers as the R3X, or will it be another cybertruck style clone?
They don't need another weirdo vehicle - but just as they puffed up the 3 to be an SUV <eyeroll> with the Y, they could find a way to do something minor to create a "hot hatch". I would think this would be more for the European and other overseas markets though. And the factors that drive that type of car (high gov't taxes on engine size, high fuel cost) aren't relevant. Net: I don't see it.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

One thing I don't see anyone talking about is I think the R3 will be a big grab of Subaru market. It's the same kind of adventure offroad small car thing.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
One thing I don't see anyone talking about is I think the R3 will be a big grab of Subaru market. It's the same kind of adventure offroad small car thing.
Yeah as I watched the reveal and saw the R3/X after the R2... my first thought was that if I were a Subaru America exec I'd be crapping my pants.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm surprised that Elon the Magnificent has not posted a Rivian pivot plan/R3 rebuttal tweet yet.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Why does Tesla need to respond to R3/R3X?

Both company can coexist without any overlap. There is no Rivian sedan. So what if there is no hot hatch Tesla.

There's no Tesla commercial van either, just as there is no Rivian semi or roadster.

Everything published on Tesla Model 2/Q compact is focused on mass adoption and not in the same audience as R3/R3X so that's not a comparison or response to Rivian.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
They will license this from Oscar Mayer, skip the design process and go-to-market in record time.

Rivian R1T R1S What will Tesla's response to the R3X look like? giphy

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
We all know the Cybertruck only came to market because Rivian turned out to be a formidable opponent in the EV space. We have yet to see the rumoured model 2, which is supposed to be more of a cheap city car, which I am not convinced is the R3's market.

Rivian R1T R1S What will Tesla's response to the R3X look like? IMG_7685

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark

Mini Cybertruck clone? So instead of a Trash dumpster it looks like a Trash Can?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

We know Elon is flipping out right about now. After Rivian unveiled the R1T in 2018, he panicked and had his team come up with the CT a year later in 2019. I'd imagine he's doing the same thing now and their team will have to dump whatever boring design they had for the "Model 2".

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Why does Tesla need to respond to R3/R3X?

Both company can coexist without any overlap. There is no Rivian sedan. So what if there is no hot hatch Tesla.

There's no Tesla commercial van either, just as there is no Rivian semi or roadster.

Everything published on Tesla Model 2/Q compact is focused on mass adoption and not in the same audience as R3/R3X so that's not a comparison or response to Rivian.
They don't need to respond to R3/R3X. But Elon is Elon. He probably will because he probably won't be able to stop himself from responding.
Sponsored